• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Survivor Appendix E (5e) Authors- Ursula K. LeGWINS!

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
This thread is as good a place as any to ask: what is the best Sanderson book to read (actually, listen to on Audible)? I bounced off Mistborn a few years ago but he gets a lot of love so I am willing to give him another chance. Plus I live his Writing Excuses podcast so I feel like I owe him.

Dausuul

Legend
Ahmed, Saladin 18
Alexander, Lloyd 24
Anthony, Piers 14
Augusta, Lady Gregory 20
Bear, Elizabeth 20
Brooks, Terry 18
Bulfinch, Thomas 23
Cook, Glen 25 - Hold up there, buddy. No running away with things this early.
Froud, Brian & Alan Lee 21
Hickman, Tracy & Margaret Weis 6
Hodgson, William Hope 18
Jemisin, N.K. 21
Jordan, Robert 19
Kay, Guy Gavriel 21
LeGuin, Ursula 25
Lynch, Scott 22
McKillip, Patricia 22
Mieville, China 14
Peake, Mervyn 21
Pratchett, Terry 23
Rothfuss, Patrick 12
Sanderson, Brandon 26
Smith, Clark Ashton 21
Tolstoy, Nikolai 13
Wolfe, Gene 22

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Ahmed, Saladin 18
Alexander, Lloyd 24
Anthony, Piers 14
Augusta, Lady Gregory 20
Bear, Elizabeth 20
Brooks, Terry 18
Bulfinch, Thomas 23
Cook, Glen 25
Hickman, Tracy & Margaret Weis 7 - They inspired an entire campaign setting that thousands have enjoyed playing the game in. That deserves an upvote.
Hodgson, William Hope 18
Jemisin, N.K. 21
Jordan, Robert 19
Kay, Guy Gavriel 21
LeGuin, Ursula 25
Lynch, Scott 22
McKillip, Patricia 22
Mieville, China 12
Peake, Mervyn 21
Pratchett, Terry 23
Rothfuss, Patrick 12
Sanderson, Brandon 26
Smith, Clark Ashton 21
Tolstoy, Nikolai 13
Wolfe, Gene 22

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
(Based on Maxperson 08:26am)

Ahmed, Saladin 18
Alexander, Lloyd 24
Anthony, Piers 14
Augusta, Lady Gregory 20
Bear, Elizabeth 20
Brooks, Terry 18
Bulfinch, Thomas 23
Cook, Glen 25
Hickman, Tracy & Margaret Weis 7
Hodgson, William Hope 18
Jemisin, N.K. 21
Jordan, Robert 19
Kay, Guy Gavriel 21
LeGuin, Ursula 25
Lynch, Scott 22
McKillip, Patricia 22
Mieville, China 12
Peake, Mervyn 21
Pratchett, Terry 23
Rothfuss, Patrick 13 # Need to upvote before he's gone
Sanderson, Brandon 26
Smith, Clark Ashton 19
Tolstoy, Nikolai 13
Wolfe, Gene 22

tglassy

Adventurer
This thread is as good a place as any to ask: what is the best Sanderson book to read (actually, listen to on Audible)? I bounced off Mistborn a few years ago but he gets a lot of love so I am willing to give him another chance. Plus I live his Writing Excuses podcast so I feel like I owe him.

Mistborn is where I started, on audible, and I have proceeded to collect every one of his Cosmere books on Audible. Got the last one just last month. I highly recommend listening to the whole series. If by "Bounced off of" means you didn't get far it, trust me, it'll hook you and pull you all the way through. And I haven't read a climactic ending like Mistborn's first trilogy's ending in book 3. It is just absolutely astounding. The second trilogy is just as good, but much, much shorter.

The Stormlight Archive is another good series of books. He has three out so far, and is planning another seven (for two five-book archs). They are utterly fantastic and appropriately epic. Sanderson's worlds are phenomenally detailed.

However, if you are looking for an introduction that doesn't include such a huge commitment, Elantris is a good stand alone that should be getting a sequel sometime in the next ten years, though it doesn't need one. Another standalone book is Warbreaker. Both of these are in the Cosmere, so they are connected to Mistborn and the Stormlight Archive, but you wouldn't know that unless you know that.

[sblock=Cosmere]Basically, the Cosmere is Sanderson's universe, and all these books take place on different planets within that universe, and each one as its own magic system. The backstory is that Adonalsium, a god like being from thousands of years ago, shattered somehow into 16 shards, and 16 people picked up those shards, basically becoming gods themselves. Each one settled on a different planet, and invested their power in that planet, and that investiture, as magic is called, manifests different ways depending on the type of shard that settled there.

in other words, there are different planets with different types of magic for each one.

Right now, each series of books are separate and stand by themselves, though there is one side character that appears in all of them (you have to watch for him, though, sometimes his cameo is quick). Sanderson took great care so that people who are unaware of the Cosmere could still enjoy his books as individuals. Eventually though, if Sanderson doesn't die first, he's going to have a sci fi series that spans the different planets, mixing their magics in unique ways. But that's decades off. [/sblock]

So if all that is too intimidating, let me actually answer your question: Read Elantris. That's his first published book in the Cosmere, and it is a standalone. And a good read. If you like it, pick up Mistborn again. Read all of them. Then Warbreaker. Then Stormlight Archive.

And that is my suggestion.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Ahmed, Saladin 18
Alexander, Lloyd 24
Anthony, Piers 14
Augusta, Lady Gregory 20
Bear, Elizabeth 20
Brooks, Terry 19 Longest running series in a setting (from the original author)? 1977 to 2020? However, finally writing the last Shannara book as we speak.
Bulfinch, Thomas 23
Cook, Glen 25
Hickman, Tracy & Margaret Weis 5 Hauberks vs halberds. Emo Raistlin. Nuff said
Hodgson, William Hope 18
Jemisin, N.K. 21
Jordan, Robert 19
Kay, Guy Gavriel 21
LeGuin, Ursula 25
Lynch, Scott 22
McKillip, Patricia 22
Mieville, China 12
Peake, Mervyn 21
Pratchett, Terry 23
Rothfuss, Patrick 13
Sanderson, Brandon 26
Smith, Clark Ashton 19
Tolstoy, Nikolai 13
Wolfe, Gene 22

Dausuul

Legend
We really aught to run a thread on who has the most epic beard. There are some very strong contenders remaining, even with GRRM out.
GRRM's beard hardly qualifies as epic. A nicely trimmed beard that barely reaches the top of his chest? Please.

Patrick Rothfuss has a pretty impressive beard, and Scott Lynch makes up in volume what he lacks in length, but nobody on this list can top Ed Greenwood. I may not think much of him as a writer, but damn, can that man grow a beard.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Ahmed, Saladin 18
Alexander, Lloyd 24
Anthony, Piers 14
Augusta, Lady Gregory 20
Bear, Elizabeth 20
Brooks, Terry 19
Bulfinch, Thomas 23 + 1 = 24 What high-level NPCs do when they are bored: make myths of themselves
Cook, Glen 25
Hickman, Tracy & Weis, Margaret 5
Hodgson, William Hope 18
Jemisin, N.K. 21
Jordan, Robert 19
Kay, Guy Gavriel 21
LeGuin, Ursula 25
Lynch, Scott 22
McKillip, Patricia 22
Mieville, China 12
Peake, Mervyn 21
Pratchett, Terry 23
Rothfuss, Patrick 13
Sanderson, Brandon 26
Smith, Clark Ashton 19
Tolstoy, Nikolai 13 - 2 = 11 I haven't actually read The Longest Book In The English Language but I heard about its reputation.
Wolfe, Gene 22

Remove ads