• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Survivor Appendix E (5e) Authors- Ursula K. LeGWINS!

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Ahmed, Saladin 18
Alexander, Lloyd 24
Anthony, Piers 14
Augusta, Lady Gregory 20
Bear, Elizabeth 20
Brooks, Terry 19
Bulfinch, Thomas 23
Cook, Glen 27
Froud, Brian & Alan Lee 21
Hickman, Tracy & Margaret Weis 7
Hodgson, William Hope 18
Jemisin, N.K. 21
Jordan, Robert 19
Kay, Guy Gavriel 21
LeGuin, Ursula 24
Lynch, Scott 22
McKillip, Patricia 22
Mieville, China 14
Peake, Mervyn 21
Pratchett, Terry 23
Rothfuss, Patrick 8-2=6 Let's make your story in this thread as short as your book should have been.
Sanderson, Brandon 26
Smith, Clark Ashton 21
Tolstoy, Nikolai 13+1=14Because I love Crime and Punishment.
Wolfe, Gene 22

Yardiff

Adventurer
Ahmed, Saladin 18
Alexander, Lloyd 24
Anthony, Piers 14
Augusta, Lady Gregory 20
Bear, Elizabeth 20
Brooks, Terry 19
Bulfinch, Thomas 23
Cook, Glen 27+1=28 I really enjoyed the Garrett P. I. books
Hickman, Tracy & Margaret Weis 6
Hodgson, William Hope 18
Jemisin, N.K. 21
Jordan, Robert 19
Kay, Guy Gavriel 21
LeGuin, Ursula 24
Lynch, Scott 22
McKillip, Patricia 22
Mieville, China 14
Peake, Mervyn 21
Pratchett, Terry 23
Rothfuss, Patrick 8-2=6
Sanderson, Brandon 26
Smith, Clark Ashton 21
Tolstoy, Nikolai 14
Wolfe, Gene 22

rczarnec

Explorer
Ahmed, Saladin 18
Alexander, Lloyd 24
Anthony, Piers 14
Augusta, Lady Gregory 20
Bear, Elizabeth 20
Brooks, Terry 20
Bulfinch, Thomas 23
Cook, Glen 28
Hodgson, William Hope 18
Jemisin, N.K. 21
Jordan, Robert 19
Kay, Guy Gavriel 21
LeGuin, Ursula 24
Lynch, Scott 22
McKillip, Patricia 22
Mieville, China 14
Peake, Mervyn 21
Pratchett, Terry 23
Rothfuss, Patrick 4
Sanderson, Brandon 26
Smith, Clark Ashton 21
Tolstoy, Nikolai 12
Wolfe, Gene 22

tglassy

Adventurer
That’s a logical fallacy, called a False Equivalence. It means comparing two things in the effort to prove a point when the two things are not comparable.

Writing is art. Art is never “finished”. Sure, the author can finally stop and publish it, but that doesn’t mean it’s “finished”. Ask Tolkien.

And let’s look at it from your assumption.

A good businessman doesn’t close every deal. In fact, a good businessman fails closing more deals than a bad businessman because the bad ones quit. A good businessman eventually stops trying to close a deal when he realizes it’s not going to go through, so as to not waste time.

Pilots always land their planes. Whether they survive it is another story. A good pilot always survives his landings and doesn’t take off unless he’s sure he’ll be able to land safely. If he doesn’t think the landing will be safe, he won’t land.

Good comedians tell more bad jokes than bad comedians, because they tell more jokes by volume. They wind up leaving more jokes left in their notebook than they use, because they decide they weren’t funny. So good comedians know when to not continue with a joke.

So yes, a writer that doesn’t finish his series of books can still be a good writer.

Besides, I’ll bet I know how to keep you in suspense.

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
Tolstoy, Nikolai 13+1=14Because I love Crime and Punishment.
Ahem... Leo Tolstoy =/= Nikolai Tolstoy

Ahmed, Saladin 18
Alexander, Lloyd 24
Anthony, Piers 14
Augusta, Lady Gregory 20
Bear, Elizabeth 20
Brooks, Terry 20
Bulfinch, Thomas 23
Cook, Glen 28
Hodgson, William Hope 18
Jemisin, N.K. 21
Jordan, Robert 19
Kay, Guy Gavriel 21
LeGuin, Ursula 24
Lynch, Scott 22
McKillip, Patricia 22
Mieville, China 14
Peake, Mervyn 21
Pratchett, Terry 24 Oook!
Rothfuss, Patrick 2 Eeek!
Sanderson, Brandon 26
Smith, Clark Ashton 21
Tolstoy, Nikolai 12
Wolfe, Gene 22

Pratchett Quote of the Day:
“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.” - Reaper Man

OB1

Jedi Master
[MENTION=6855204]tglassy[/MENTION] - Just to be clear, I enjoy both Martin and Rothfuss, and hope that they one day finish their stories so they (the stories) can be properly judged.

I still stand by my opinion that a writer who doesn’t finish a story they start telling to others is a bad writer. They can be good at crafting prose, characters and scenes, but a good writer tells a story, and stories have endings.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
GRRM is a good writer, however he has lost the SoIaF series IMO. I doubt he will ever finish it, but Books 4-5 were a large drop off in quality from 1-3 as he kept introducing secondary characters and introducing new plots during time he should have been moving existing plots towards conclusions. I just worry he is working to change his ending since the show will wrap up next year and spoil his original ending for the major parts. For me the series is shaping up to be a bust but for him it made him richer than I'm sure he ever imagined possible. And despite all its excesses, stupidities, titanic plot holes and flaws the show is a lot of fun.

tglassy

Adventurer
Not every good story has an ending. The Lady or the Lion, as an example. And many stories end in cliffhangers, with no sequel even intended.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads