Survivor Core Classes- ROGUE STEALS THE VICTORY!

lowkey13

I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
This thread is inspired by the prior threads that we've done- and it's time to re-do the core classes (now with bonus Eberron goodness)!

That's right; it's a blast from the past, and if you weren't here the first time, it's all new to you. Or gnu. Whatevs.

IMPORTANT NOTE- DOWNVOTES ARE ONLY WORTH 2 IN THIS THREAD.

Each class starts with 20 points and you vote for one class you like which gets 1 point and a class you dislike which loses 2 points. It is intentional that a negative vote is worth more than a positive vote- first, because it speaks to the inherent classism of D&D, or something. Second, because.

Upvotes are in green, downvotes are in in red (unless you are on your phone, and are unable to). Copy and paste the previous posters vote and change the numbers. You may vote once per day. This is an honor system, and we are all honorable gamers; please do not abuse it. If this means you vote once at night one day, and once the next morning - that's fine, but don't vote again until the following day.

This is purely a popularity contest and you do not have to explain an upvote or downvote, but feel free to- explanations are where the fun is! When downvotes reach 0 the class is eliminated (FATALITY!). Finally, if a class has one vote left, then you have to make the choice to use all of your downvotes to eliminate it; there is no vote splitting. In addition, you must split your vote- you can't upvote and downvote the same class (no "see" votes). And you have to use BOTH YOUR UPVOTE AND DOWNVOTE if you vote.

Two important points that you must read before voting-
1. This is a pure popularity contest, and is meant to be fun. You can cast your votes for whatever reason you want. Spite, irrational love/hate, gameplay mechanics, strategic voting, and so on is perfectly acceptable. Are you voting against sorcererererererereers because you can never spell them correctly? Or maybe you just remember that player at your table who always rolled his "r's" when saying the name? It's all good! This vote does not affect anything in real life, and no class will be kicked out of D&D because of your vote. You can comment for the reasons for your vote, or not- up to you! But this is for enjoyment only.

HA HA! Who am I kidding? Your vote will decide what classes WOTC is about to kick out in order to make way for the one, true class .... KATANA!

2. This is a list of the core classes from the PHB in 5e, plus the new one from Eberron. That's it. No homebrew. No Critical Role Bloodhunter (I checked- it's not official). Nothing else. In order to be objective I pulled the list from D&D Beyond.

3. As always, the list is the list. If you have a complaint about the list, please direct it to /dev/null

Warlord. Just kidding! Ima not gonna touch that with someone else's ten foot pole.

Rogue CONGRATULATIONS TO RAGNAR ROLL, THE DWARF ROGUE!

UPDATE- YOU HAVE NO CLASS!
Aritificer #51 Last one in, first one out
Sorcerer #66 First PHB Class Down
Barbarian #90 No more Vandals, no more Visigoths
Monk #134 ♫ Nobody was kung fu fighting ♫
Bard #187 Yeah, you play guitar. So what?
Druid #207 Who will stand for the trees?
Warlock #225 The Devil gets his due
Ranger #303 We made Viggo cry
Paladin #317 DING DONG THE WITCH IS DEAD!
Cleric #320 Healbot, heal thyself
Wizard #348 pew pew RIP
Fighter #375 Keepin' the midnight oil burnin'

Last edited:

lowkey13

Aritificer 20
Barbarian 20
Bard 20
Cleric 20
Druid 20
Fighter 20
Monk 21
Paladin 18
Ranger 20
Rogue 20
Sorcerer 20
Warlock 20
Wizard 20

Was there really any doubt how I would vote?

Sadras

Adventurer
Aritificer 20
Barbarian 20
Bard 20
Cleric 20
Druid 20
Fighter 20
Monk 21-2=19 Damn, we are polar opposites on this!
Paladin 18+1=19 Sit on my lap & tell uncle Sadras where did the paladin touch you
Ranger 20
Rogue 20
Sorcerer 20
Warlock 20
Wizard 20

Horwath

Adventurer
Aritificer 20
Barbarian 20
Bard 20
Cleric 20
Druid 20
Fighter 20
Monk 17
Paladin 19
Ranger 21
Rogue 20
Sorcerer 20
Warlock 20
Wizard 20

mortwatcher

Explorer
Aritificer 20
Barbarian 20
Bard 20
Cleric 20
Druid 20
Fighter 20
Monk 17
Paladin 17 as long as these self-righteous asshats get out among the first
Ranger 21
Rogue 20
Sorcerer 20
Warlock 20
Wizard 21 it's magic, don't question it

lowkey13

Monk 21-2=19 Damn, we are polar opposites on this!
As an aside, I understand why people may not care for the monk as a class as it does not fit in with their conception of "D&D," or because they feel that it is a poor fit with the otherwise mostly pseudo-western European fantasy approach of the base rules (Tolkien/Lieber/Howard/Zelazny/Vance).

I would only say-
1. You can always use the monk rules for all sorts of other concepts, such as the classic brawler.

2. I continue to believe that the 5e monk is, perhaps, the best melding of rules and concept. In terms of fit to design, I think it's perfect.

Paladin 18+1=19 Sit on my lap & tell uncle Sadras where did the paladin touch you
Little known fact: Sit on my lap is the second most common phrase used by Paladins.

Skayaq

Villager
Artificer 20
Barbarian 20
Bard 20
Cleric 20
Druid 20
Fighter 20
Monk 15
Paladin 18
Ranger 21
Rogue 20
Sorcerer 20
Warlock 20
Wizard 20

Raunalyn

Adventurer
Artificer 20 - 2 = 18 - Not in MY D&D!!
Barbarian 20
Bard 20
Cleric 20
Druid 20
Fighter 20
Monk 15
Paladin 18
Ranger 21
Rogue 20
Sorcerer 20
Warlock 20
Wizard 20 + 1 = 21 - Love me some Diviner Wizard!

jasper

Rotten DM
Artificer 18 - 2 = 16 - Not in MY D&D!!
Barbarian 20
Bard 20
Cleric 20
Druid 20
Fighter 20
Monk 15
Paladin 18
Ranger 21
Rogue 20
Sorcerer 20
Warlock 20
Wizard 21 +1 = 22 Wizard needs Love

Artificer 17
Barbarian 20
Bard 20
Cleric 20
Druid 20
Fighter 20
Monk 15
Paladin 18
Ranger 21
Rogue 20
Sorcerer 20
Warlock 20
Wizard 20 - boring

Artificer 17
Barbarian 20
Bard 20
Cleric 20
Druid 20
Fighter 20
Monk 16
Paladin 18
Ranger 21
Rogue 20
Sorcerer 18 Meh
Warlock 20
Wizard 20

Tyler Do'Urden

Soap Maker
Artificer 18 Not core, but cool. So is the Warlord. :)
Barbarian 20
Bard 20
Cleric 20
Druid 20
Fighter 20
Monk 14 The only class I'd remove from the PHB
Paladin 18
Ranger 21
Rogue 20
Sorcerer 18
Warlock 20
Wizard 20

Fenris447

Explorer
Artificer 19
Barbarian 20
Bard 20
Cleric 20
Druid 20
Fighter 20
Monk 14
Paladin 18
Ranger 21
Rogue 20
Sorcerer 16
Warlock 20
Wizard 20

Laurefindel

Explorer
As an aside, I understand why people may not care for the monk as a class as it does not fit in with their conception of "D&D," or because they feel that it is a poor fit with the otherwise mostly pseudo-western European fantasy approach of the base rules (Tolkien/Lieber/Howard/Zelazny/Vance).

I would only say-
1. You can always use the monk rules for all sorts of other concepts, such as the classic brawler.

2. I continue to believe that the 5e monk is, perhaps, the best melding of rules and concept. In terms of fit to design, I think it's perfect.
Monk (drunken master in particular) with its fluff stripped and replaced makes a perfect thief-acrobat stand-in. I went as far as copying the SRD's monk and search/replace "monk" by "thief-acrobat", "ki" with "tumble", renamed abilities without changing the text, and am quite satisfied with it.

and accordingly...

Artificer 19
Barbarian 20
Bard 20
Cleric 20
Druid 20
Fighter 20
Monk 14 + 1 = 15 (go thief-acrobat!)
Paladin 18
Ranger 21 - 2 = 19 (I REALLY want to love you ranger, but I wish I could love you for more than 6 levels...)
Rogue 20
Sorcerer 16
Warlock 20
Wizard 20

Last edited:

rczarnec

Explorer
Artificer 17
Barbarian 20
Bard 20
Cleric 20
Druid 20
Fighter 20
Monk 15
Paladin 19
Ranger 19
Rogue 20
Sorcerer 16
Warlock 20
Wizard 20

vincegetorix

Jewel of the North
Artificer 17
Barbarian 20
Bard 20
Cleric 20
Druid 20
Fighter 20 +1 = 21
Monk 15 - 2 = 13
Paladin 19
Ranger 19
Rogue 20
Sorcerer 16
Warlock 20
Wizard 20

vincegetorix

Jewel of the North
Hot Take: I think Monk should be replaced by Psion as a core class, BUT with disciplines that allow to replicate the monk's things: celerity, empowered unarmed strikes etc...

akr71

Adventurer
Artificer 15
Barbarian 20
Bard 20
Cleric 20
Druid 20
Fighter 21
Monk 14
Paladin 19
Ranger 19
Rogue 20