D&D General Survivor Dungeon Masters -- discussion

Bolares

Hero
They shouldn't have that responsibility. But they do. They didn't ask for it, but they have it. Critical Role is the public face of D&D.
I disagree with all of this. CR doesn't own D&D, or is owned by WotC. They have zero responsability to teach people how to "correctly" play the game. They are the most popular media for sure, but that doesn't mean they have to police themselves about how will people DM because of them. This gets waaay to close to "the mercer effect" for my taste, and I already heavily dislike that term and the argument around it.

TheAlkaizer

Game Designer
I don't want to stir the pot. But I also really wasn't impressed with how Aabria GMed Exandria Unlimited. I didn't know her beforehand. Can't say I'm a fan. But this works on different levels.
  1. She's just not my type of GM. I don't think I would have that much pleasure being a player in her game. It comes down to things like her tone, her snap decisions, her inconsistent rulings, the type of experience she's trying to create. That happens all the time, there's more DMs I'm not into than the opposite. It's not a commentary on their objective quality as dungeon masters.
  2. I also felt that episode 8 was awkward. Several of her comments that were quoted in this thread made me react and wince. I have no idea if the other players were bothered by it or not, it's their business. I'm not going to be offended or bothered on their behalf, but as a viewer, it did affect my experience negatively.
  3. However, I know that I would never, ever say things like that to my players. And I would probably have a stern talk to any GM talking to me like that if I was a player, or if a player talked to me that way. From my perspective, it felt disrespectful.
So, I don't know if I'll ever end up seeing more of her work. But if so, I hope it'll be better! I have no idea if that's an accurate representation of her style or not. I'm sure DMing on Critical Role must be a nerve wracking thing.

Last edited:

Bolares

Hero
A lot of people are learning about D&D from CR...and learning how to play D&D from CR.
Sure, a lot of people are learning from them. But it's their (the person learning) responsability, to research and find different sources to broaden their horizons. it's their responsability to read the books, it's their responsability to try and do better as they learn. Being a spotlight for a hobby doesn't make you accountable for the people playing the hobby

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
So, I don't want if I'll ever end up seeing more of her work. But if so, I hope it'll be better! I have no idea if that's an accurate representation of her style or not. I'm sure DMing on Critical Role must be a nerve wracking thing.
I thought her work on Dimension20's "Misfits & Magic" was really good, too. It might be a better showcase for her game-mastering style.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I disagree with all of this. CR doesn't own D&D, or is owned by WotC. They have zero responsability to teach people how to "correctly" play the game.
You know how pop stars, athletes, and other high profile people are seen as role models...people to look up to and emulate? They didn't necessarily sign up for that when they signed a record deal, a sports contract, etc but it comes with the job. Same thing here. People will use them as role models whether they like it or not.
They are the most popular media for sure, but that doesn't mean they have to police themselves about how will people DM because of them.
I disagree. Quite the opposite, actually. As role models representing the community, they have more responsibility to police themselves than anyone else simply because they are the single most popular D&D media out there. They have a huge reach and impact on the game. And they're aware of it. Matt's commented on it kinda regularly and always on the side of "we need to be careful what we put out there".

Mort

Legend
Supporter
I disagree with all of this. CR doesn't own D&D, or is owned by WotC. They have zero responsability to teach people how to "correctly" play the game. They are the most popular media for sure, but that doesn't mean they have to police themselves about how will people DM because of them. This gets waaay to close to "the mercer effect" for my taste, and I already heavily dislike that term and the argument around it.

I completely agree with this.

BUT

One great thing about Critical Role (main show) is the clear mutual respect between Mercer and his players. Even when being necessarily adversarial you can just clearly see it (both ways).

It didn't come off that way in EXU especially with comments like "What part of you have a hard time moving do you not understand..." (addressed to the player) - that isn't the kind of talk I would ever want to expose a player to! And it's not the kind of attitude Critical Role is likely seeking to promote (whether the parties are "acting" or not).

Bolares

Hero
It didn't come off that way in EXU especially with comments like "What part of you have a hard time moving do you not understand..." (addressed to the player) - that isn't the kind of talk I would ever want to expose a player to! And it's not the kind of attitude Critical Role is likely seeking to promote (whether the parties are "acting" or not).
I don't like this either... but honestly, I have said similar things to players at the table. Players that are close friends and that have a sense of humor about this things. As a viewer it is certainly jarring, but I just dislike the notion that it was abusive, or detrimental to the hobby as a whole, even more so if the player that was the target of the comments said they enjoyed everything about it, and even mentioned this jabs as part of what they enjoyed.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I don't like this either... but honestly, I have said similar things to players at the table. Players that are close friends and that have a sense of humor about this things.
So have I. And I recognize it as a mistake. That's not how I want to behave. Insulting your friends is a great way to have a terrible relationship with them and/or not have friends.
As a viewer it is certainly jarring, but I just dislike the notion that it was abusive, or detrimental to the hobby as a whole
The problem isn't that she said it. The problem is there's camera taping it and it's then broadcast to the millions of people who watch Critical Role...and since CR is held in such high regard...this will be seen as good practices. Which it is absolutely not.
even more so if the player that was the target of the comments said they enjoyed everything about it, and even mentioned this jabs as part of what they enjoyed.
Really? Where specifically did Aimee say that she enjoyed this specific comment?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases