D&D General Survivor Thread: Best D&D Movie

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I wonder what happened to all the Willow love. At one point, it was the top vote getter. Now it's looking like it's not going to make the top 5, which sounds crazy to me.
Agreed. Willow should beat out Krull and Princess Bride IMO. It is much more typical D&D than the other two movies.

People love the epicness of LoTR
LOTR is great, no doubt, and while it is a pinnacle fantasy movie, it is not a pinnacle D&D movie IMO, especially for 5E!!!

@DND_Reborn - the 'like' is for the correction, not for the LotR downvote! :)
Yeah, I know, LOL! I didn't like doing it, since I enjoy LOTR so much...

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
LOTR is great, no doubt, and while it is a pinnacle fantasy movie, it is not a pinnacle D&D movie IMO, especially for 5E!!!
Why not for 5e? In fact, maybe even more so for 5e - LotR shows 'em exactly how it's done.

Large party. Some overlap in character classes and-or abilities. In-party conflict. Character deaths, and in one case revival. Exploration, social, and combat pillars all featured. Later, the party splits into multiple parties each doing different things all leading to the same goal (i.e. all part of the same campaign), and new characters (Eowyn, Faramir) are introduced.

And all on a grand epic scale against a well-detailed setting with a rich history.

It just doesn't get any more D&D than that!

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Why not for 5e?
The only spellcaster isn't even a "wizard" by D&D terms. It is incredibly low-magic in many ways, which a lot of 5E games, and the default level of magic in the game design, certainly isn't.

You also have 4 halflings, without definable classes, three fighters, and a ranger, along with a "wizard". As far as the classes are concerned, LOTR is more B/X than 5E, with 4 "halflings", a "dwarf", an "elf", and two fighters, along with a "wizard".

Large party.
Not so much 5E. 5E is 4-5 PCs, not 8-9! That is more typical of B/X and AD&D IME and IMO.

Some overlap in character classes and-or abilities. In-party conflict.
Insane overlap of "classes" really, not some. 5E often has very distinct classes IME. Rarely do you have two or more PCs of the same class in 5E unless it is intentionally a theme (like when I ran my all monk game).

In-party conflict is also more prior editions of D&D. 5E is more designed to be a team-game as that was the intent of the designers, so there is greater synergy between party members. Otherwise, in-party conflict happens in really any RPG, but is not distinctive to 5E.

Character deaths, and in one case revival
LOL character deaths are also really not a 5E IME, especially after tier 1. You generally have enough HP that most encounters won't run the risk of death if you play by the design of the game. Of course a DM can ramp that up, but it really isn't the default. A downed PC has about a 60% chance to stabilize even without help!

Character deaths were much more common in AD&D and B/X editions, not nearly so much 5E.

The way the "revival" happened wouldn't even have been to a PC. Gandalf would most definitely be an NPC or DMPC, not a PC. No spell was cast to bring him back, no scroll or magic item. It was simply plot.

Exploration, social, and combat pillars all featured.
Not really. Exploration and social where present, sure, but they weren't really "challenges" the party had to overcome. They were just part of the story. Certainly no more than they would be in any other edition of D&D.

Combat is certainly not a good reflection of Orcs, etc. in 5E. We see Aragorn, Gimli, Legolas, and Boromir whacking orcs in a single hit, which might happen occasionally in 5E, but at 15 hp each is not common. The ONLY creature that IMO was close to 5E combat was the cave troll in Moria. It took several hits to bring it down. The oliphants (?) in the battle of Minas Tirith were also pretty good for the concept of a bag of hit points, taking dozens of arrows, etc. to "bring them down".

Later, the party splits into multiple parties each doing different things all leading to the same goal (i.e. all part of the same campaign), and new characters (Eowyn, Faramir) are introduced.
Again, this is hardly unique to 5E, and was more true in AD&D than it is in 5E. Most (certainly not all of course!) 5E games IME are shorter campaigns, where players play the same PC up to level 7-10 and then the group moves on to new PCs. Rare are the tables which play for several months or even years with multiple campaign stories going on leading to the same finale. Sure, there are some, but those were much more common with AD&D than with 5E.

And all on a grand epic scale against a well-detailed setting with a rich history.
Sure, but that can be applied to any fantasy RPG, it is hardly unique to D&D or 5E. If anything, 5E doesn't have nearly the depth of setting and history prior editions had (again, especially AD&D). 5E returns again and again to settings developed in prior editions. Other than Ravnica (due to the MtG cross-over), does 5E have anything setting-wise that is unique??? It might, but I don't know if it does...

It just doesn't get any more D&D than that!
🤷‍♂️

I disagree. Like I said before, it is an incredible fantasy movie, but D&D (especially 5E) not so much...

Last edited:

Remove ads