D&D General Survivor Thread: Best D&D Movie

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Does anyone remember actually watching Krull? Even as a kid, I thought it stunk. And the fact that it outlasted other great movies that should still be on this list (and fairing better than some that still are) is an atrocity.
Let's face it, Conan the Destroyer isn't a much better film. But, this isn't about high quality, critic pleasing cinema. It's about movies that are a good fit to D&D.

Weird Dave

Adventurer
Publisher
Conan the Barbarian 9
Conan the Destroyer 17-2 = 15
LotR 21
Willow 10
Krull 11+1 = 12

Is Krull an awesome movie? Yes, yes it is :D But for this poll, I think it's one of the best D&D movies - band of heroes of varying skill and competence go on a quest to save their kingdom/princess from an overlord who came from outer space. Lots of fun effects, cheesy dialogue, evocative sets. If you haven't seen it in awhile, give it another go - this is one that I didn't grow up watching and only discovered personally in the last 5 years or so.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Really? So what happened to the actual D&D movies from the list? I can't imagine a better fit than a script utilizing the actual source material. 😉
So, Book of Vile Darkness was swept off the list after a day or two. It's an awful movie, but probably the best D&D movie ever made. A band of evil PCs going around killing villagers for stuff until they descend on each other. Classic.

Remove ads