D&D General Survivor Thread: Best D&D Movie

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I can't believe a movie with cheesy laser weapons beat out a movie like this when talking about best D&D like movie:

View attachment 263384
I maintain that the reason Conan didn't do as well as it should have is because the Conan franchise fans couldn't agree on which of the two films to support. If there had been only one option called "Conan" (similar to the single option for "Lord of the Rings"), it would have concentrated the upvotes...which is far more important, mathematically-speaking, than trying to dilute the downvotes. Upvotes are weaker than downvotes, so they thin out a lot faster.

If LotR had been split into its three separate movies, I bet Fellowship would be the only one left at this point, and it would be limping in at 3rd place.

Last edited:

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/they)
To be fair, Return of the King is the only movie from the list to have a Best Picture Oscar, even if it stole the award from what we all now rightly recognize as the actual best film of 2003, School of Rock.

The LotR movies are simply not nearly as dissimilar to each other as say, the two Ahnold Conan films, which are about as different as two ostensibly linked movies not starring Vin Diesel get.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I can't believe a movie with cheesy laser weapons beat out a movie like this when talking about best D&D like movie:

View attachment 263384
Yeah, don't ask me. Destroyer is the clear winner IMO. Like I said upthread, sans actually having dragons in the movie, it is as close to a D&D game as you'll get. LOTR is an incredible story, but not really what a D&D game looks like IMO.

they are glorious to behold.
Sure, right into the trash... ;)

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/they)
Yeah, don't ask me. Destroyer is the clear winner IMO. Like I said upthread, sans actually having dragons in the movie, it is as close to a D&D game as you'll get. LOTR is an incredible story, but not really what a D&D game looks like IMO.
The thing is that D&D is a lot of things to a lot of different people. The folks who cut their teeth on Gary Gygax and OD&D and Greyhawk are going to find a lot of similarities with the game and Conan. If D&D is more synonymous with Dragonlance than anything else to you, then maybe it is LotR that rings truest.

Granted, this is coming from a person who thinks the Fast & Furious films epitomizes found family team-based adventures and is actually genuinely puzzled that Chronicles of Riddick didn't even appear on the list, so what do I know.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases