D&D General Survivor Thread: Best D&D Movie

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
@Lanefan, I have some mild resentment about the LotR films when it comes to D&D. I started playing D&D in 3e around the time that LotR was released, and the DM was increasingly "infecting" the first D&D campaign that I played with LotR. Elves started walking on snow when they couldn't before. Wargs went from monstrous wolves to monstrous hyenas. So the intersection of these two things are a bit triggering for me. It's almost a miracle that I didn't quit D&D all together.
Interesting. To me those are the sort of additions/changes I'd have no problem with, unless (and this is a big one) they overturned precedent already established within an ongoing campaign. If you're saying this was the case, that the changes were made on the fly and broke precedent, then you've a very solid argument against those changes and IMO the DM was in the wrong.

That said, I have to assume your DM had never read the LotR books, as Elves being able to walk on snow was a frequently-houseruled thing long before the movies came out. :) For allI know it may have even been RAW in 2e; a quick glance at various 1e books shows me no reference to movement in snow anywhere.

As for the Wargs, IMO the difference between a monstrous wolf and a monstrous hyena is pretty minor to begin with; and making Wargs into big hyenas allows the Dire Wolf (which in my eyes is a different creature, more like the Starks' wolves in Game of Thrones) to fill the big-wolf niche. This to me is a good change.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
200.gif
Finally, a GOOD meme... :)

Aldarc

Legend
As for the Wargs, IMO the difference between a monstrous wolf and a monstrous hyena is pretty minor to begin with; and making Wargs into big hyenas allows the Dire Wolf (which in my eyes is a different creature, more like the Starks' wolves in Game of Thrones) to fill the big-wolf niche. This to me is a good change.
Excuse me?! One is Caniformia and the other is Feliformia.

Argyle King

Legend
I'm happy with Willow winning.

I was surprised that Dragonslayer isn't viewed more favorably. Apparently, I'm also in the minority of people who actually likes the movie Legend.

Conan remains one of my favorites. What can I say? I read the books, and I grew up near enough to where Frazetta lived to see some of the artwork in person. It's an influence.

Magic Mike was never eliminated via downvotes.

I like LoTR. The LoTR movies are better than the Hobbit movies (which is the opposite of how I feel about the books). Tolkien is undeniably an influence on both D&D and the fantasy genre as a whole. But other things on the list were more like how I want an adventure to be.

I love the Chronicles of Narnia (books,) but I can somewhat understand why none of those movies were on the list.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Excuse me?! One is Caniformia and the other is Feliformia.
Huh. I always thought hyenas were sort-of related to dogs and enver even considered they'd be closer to cats. I learned something today.

That said, in game play when your PC is facing a wall of teeth it likely makes little difference whether said teeth are in a Warg (hyena) or a Dire Wolf (wolf). :)

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I agree. Willow is a good winner. Dragonslayer was my initial upvote, but it wasn't going to win... Conan/Destroyer is a prime D&D movie IMO as noted upthread, but it was always a movie people either loved or hated IME.

So what's next, @Sacrosanct? Best D&D books? Best D&D cartoons? Best D&D songs?
I was curious what movie (or book or cartoon or whatever) has the BEST representation of the D&D Wizard (Magic-User as was...).

We see wizards in stuff, like Gandalf or Dr. Strange, but nothing I know of is really a D&D Wizard...

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
So what's next, @Sacrosanct? Best D&D books? Best D&D cartoons? Best D&D songs?
Best D&D songs would be cool, except many of the good ones are so obscure that most of the early posts would be just suggesting new additions to the list...which could quickly become very long. :)

There's a bunch of D&D-related songs around here somewhere - ten years ago or so ENWorld ran a Battle of the Bards contest, which got most of the way through and then kinda collapsed when the site crashed.

Remove ads