• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Suspension of Disbelief stretched to the breaking point in the World of Darkness

A while back I posted about a New World of Darkness game I was playing in (http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=161860)

Well, a month into the campaign, and 4 sessions later, things have only gotten. . .more interesting.

After the prelude, our PC's (normal, mundane mortals) were kidnapped in their sleep by an elder Ventrue, and thrown into what we later found was called "The Pendragon Labyrinthe", this huge maze complex he keeps to torment those who have displeased him, or to challenge those he wishes to test.

Well, besides her taking offense when I described the campaign to date as "Vampire: The Dungeon Crawling", the actual complex, in what is supposed to be a modern day setting, just pushes my suspension of disbelief to the breaking point.

We've walked for an hour in a straight line before encountering a wall before, this means the complex has to be 2 or 3 miles on a side, and there are many rooms with 200 foot ceilings and 50 foot pits (rooms set up as climbing-wall challenges over shark pits, false jungles filled with deadly animals to navigate through, poison gas filled rooms where the party must solve a puzzle to get the combination to the door out before everyone dies, or spike and flamethrower filled deathtraps to avoid, and apparently the entire labyrinth changes: rooms spin around, passages slide and reorganize, hidden walls slide down, and the entire layout completely shifts every 6 hours, making any attempt to map the labyrinth futile.

There are at least 4 levels of this complex, with each level being at least 250 feet tall and around 3 miles square on each side, with all 4 levels having apparently a massive and complex set of hardware to completely rearrange the layout by sliding around all the rooms and rearranging them. Not to mention a network of slides that drop people to lower levels, access passages and saferooms and medical chambers that are all of the quality of a hospital emergency room. Not to mention a huge network of surveilance cameras in the entire place.

In some of the rooms, there are virtual reality gear that's actually better than "The Matrix", just chairs you sit in, and put on some VR glasses, and suddenly, you're in a completely immersive VR environment, where you can't remove yourself from the system (including trying to take off the glasses), and any damage you take in the simulation is reflected to you in reality. The GM insists that technology like this exists and it's not implausible, and I couldn't explain to her how real VR doesn't quite work like that, and how incredibly advanced what she's describing would be, and she swears up and down she's seen things like this on display.

In many of the chambers, there are challenges with animals to be overcome. In one, a giant room was dressed up as a faux-jungle, filled with hundreds of ghoulded vipers to be dealt with, in another, 15 ghouled crocodiles in a giant faux-swamp was a challenge, while in another, an entire hall was covered in a giant, regenerative, aggressive, carnivorous "creeper vine" which was also ghouled (and virtually immune to everything except large amounts of fire damage).

That's bad, then we find out this entire complex is in Sicily. A giant complex this big, in Sicily, made by an elder Ventrue just as an amusement. Just building a complex 1000 feet tall and 3 miles on each side would be an incredible undertaking and certainly the largest building in the world, doing it in Sicily would be amazing, adding the engineering of all the rearranging rooms makes it boggling (not to mention the legions of ghouled plants and animals, and the super-VR), then we find out later that the entire complex is underground, as the bottom level is apparently right above magma, and that absolutely nobody has ever heard of this complex, outside of rumors among the vampire community.

We've now had other PC's added to the party, which this Elder Ventrue captured as they were tourists in Rome. Yes, the creator of all this goes out on the town himself to capture random people just to torment in there. He either utterly incapacitates them with a wave of his hand (like one, he flicked a coin at one guy and did 6 Lethal, knocking him out and letting him be dragged away, or just Dominates them and tells them to come with him), and then just dumps them in his giant labyrinth to watch them on the cameras as they try to escape and likely get killed in the process.

That was beyond the breaking point. A complex which would doubtless costs tens, or hundreds, of billions of dollars to make, in a modern day setting, requiring incredible feats of engineering, all as a diversion for an elder vampire, and nobody knows anything about it, because of course, it's an Elder Vampire, so he obviously just Dominated everybody involved to not remember anything about building it, and manipulates all satellite and scientific data to completely hide the complex, and everything associated with the construction.

When the players made it clear to the GM that when they get out, they fully intend to kill this vampire, for kidnapping them, dragging them across the world, and putting them through dozens of death-traps and insane puzzles, the GM openly scoffed at us, using her plot device DMPC to tell us just how old and powerful this vampire was, how insanely potent he is, how unstoppable he is, that there is almost no force wieldable by mankind that could hurt him short of a nuclear weapon, and how he could kill us all in a second if he wanted, and no mortal alive could even dream of harming him. In other words, the GM told us: Suck it up, and dance for my pet NPC.

It just seems to take suspension of disbelief, and utterly tear it apart. I'm tired of the belief I've seen in too many World of Darkness (new and old) games that Elder Vampires are nigh unto demigods, and can afford anything, no matter how expensive, can do anything, withstand any attack. make anything secret, and are the ultimate invincible and omnipotent deus ex machina. There is the old cliche of "A Wizard Did It" to explain something nonsensical in a fantasy setting, now it seems like "An elder Vampire did it" in WoD games.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
At the beginning of the next game ask the group who will be running this week's session, since the old GM seems to be broken. The game has to be fun for all concerned, otherwise why the heck bother?

The Auld Grump

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Here I thought this was going to be about New Orleans having a subway in the NWoD. ;)
Say what?!!

Electric powered trains + flooded tunnels (all the time!) = dead subway workers and trains that don't move...

The Auld Grump, who has nothing to do with NWoD, because he hates the new system so very much...

painandgreed

First Post
It would be much more realistic if said elder vampire had just domintated you into thinking you had been in such a large, impossible complex. The reason that you couldn't take off the VR headware was simply because you weren't really in physical control but rather in a dreamlike state caused by some elder discipline even before. That's how I would have done it as a ST anyway and enjoyed your confusion while trying to figure out how it was possible. Either that or moved it off to the faerielands where you would have encountered the cities of the dero (but I've been watching Marebito lately).

However, it just sounds like you're stuck with getting used to such things or looking for a new ST.

Subways in New Orleans is way more believable. While a daunting engineering challenge, it would certainly be cheaper and easier to build than "The Pendragon Labyrinth". I would see subways in New Orleans as being like a miniature version of the chunnel, essentially creating a loop of underwater train tunnels with access stations to the surface. Expensive and difficult, but not beyond the realm of possibility. This labyrinth, if it existed, would be the largest building on Earth, an engineering and architectural marvel the likes of which mankind hasn't seen, and a program of such daunting secrecy that it would make Area 51 look like disneyland.

If it was somehow a dream, or some vampiric mind control, I could accept it, maybe (of course, the entire campaign to date, except for a brief opening scene being a dream or hallucination is another bit of GM hell).

However, I've tried pointing out these implausibilites to the GM, and she just doesn't get how this is so unfeasible. She's firmly of the mind that since this is an Elder Vampire, he can do anything, he's rich enough to afford to build something like this as an entertainment expense, and powerful enough to make sure that nobody on Earth knows about it, and that all the technology and engineering in there is completely plausible and doesn't understand why I'm getting so worked up over it. To her, she's made it clear, that this is all perfectly rational.

As for saying that the GM is broken and we need a new one, I've made it clear I'm not highly satisfied (she's got other GMing issues, which I figure are for other threads, like serious lack of rules knowledge combined with an attitude of having house rules that she knows, and yells at us for not following although she's never told any of us about them, just assuming we knew). However, one of the players, and the host of the game, is a good friend of mine, and the GM is her daughter, and the game is my one real time during the week to visit them and see them, so I've come more to see the game as a diversion from the actual visit. That we spend about as much time after the game hanging out, drinking, chatting, and watching movies as we do actually gaming cements this (a typical evening of 4 hours of gaming, followed by 4 hours of socializing). While she's a lousy GM, she mixes great drinks, and makes the best strawberry daquiri's I've ever had.

Now, some of the players have quietly let it be known to me that they'd like for me to run a D&D game for them, on another night, and apparently word is getting around from prior games I've run that I'm at least a competent and fair GM, so I'm looking forward to a game I can have fun with in the future, for now, it's runnign through SuperVampire's Dungeonland Theme Park, with

Heathen72

Explorer
It seems, perhaps, that the GM is a little inexperienced (often things like 'believability' can fall by the wayside because beginners are swamped by the just creating a good game) but also seems that she has been working hard to give you a 'fun' game. If it isn't likely to change anytime soon I humbly suggest you stop worrying about suspension of disbelief and so on and enjoy the game for what it is - just accept the premise is a little weak and get on with having fun anyways - or just leave the game.

If you decide to stay, enjoying the game could be as simple as 'flicking the switch' in your mind to 'not sweating the small stuff'. And consider the possibility that some of the odd things she throws at you aren't just examples bad GMing. Perhaps the endless corridor was illusory - maybe a clue for you that the complex isn't actually real. You noted in the earlier thread that she likes throwing odd riddles at you, and that VR exists - perhaps this is one such riddle. Try raising the question in character (without being smartalecky, mind you) so that she can let you know that you are onto something, admit that she made a slight boo-boo. If you are right and she was a little clueless about it, this gives her the opportunity to hear your point without being threatened by it, and make changes.

Sorry if this sounds a little didactic - I just wanted to raise the possibility that it might not be all her fault, and wondered if there was anything you could do to improve the situation (without calling her campaign silly names, etc) GMing can be a tricky job, and everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. Having said that, I know what a drag it can be when the GM just treats you all as puppets to play with, and it doesn't seem like there is a lot you can do to escape the situation. A lot of the time these things come down to breakdowns in communication, or clashes in what people are looking for in a game. This GM seems to be trying to run a campaign in the style of Saw, or Cube and seems like this just isn't your thing. You might just need to speak to her and tactfully tell her that that style game isn't what you are looking for - You prefer a game grounded in 'reality' where you have some ability to affect the outcome. Approach it carefully so that she doesn't feel like your whining at her and present your concerns to in a way that are unlikely to be construed as an attack. She might appreciate the feedback. Better than continuing to play a game you aren't enjoying.

Last edited:

Terwox

First Post
Is she a problem player too? You could always try inviting her to a one-shot game. Being a fan of a uber-NPC's doesn't necessarily make you a problem gamer, just a problem DM. (Although, she's more likely to be a problem player than any random player... but, you never know!)

Remove ads