• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sustaining a power provokes OAs?

Jhaelen

First Post
FWIW, I ruled that directing the sphere on a subsequent turn is a Melee attack for purposes of determining cover and OAs and anything else it might matter for. Seemed like common sense to me...
Which serves to show that everyone can have a different opinion on what common sense means ;)

Imho, sustain actions shouldn't provoke OA. 4E has reduced the types of actions that provoke OA for a reason.

tiornys

Explorer
As I mentioned above, making an attack with an existing flaming sphere is making an attack with a ranged power. That's one of the default actions that triggers opportunity attacks per PHB p. 268, so I disagree with that customer service ruling. When you attack with a flaming sphere, you provoke an OA. When you sustain a flaming sphere, you do not provoke an OA.

t~

SableWyvern

Adventurer
When you attack with a flaming sphere, you provoke an OA. When you sustain a flaming sphere, you do not provoke an OA.

I made the exact same ruling in my game. The wizard player was a little peeved (in that I ruled the attack provoked), but rolled with it.

Milambus

First Post
As I mentioned above, making an attack with an existing flaming sphere is making an attack with a ranged power. That's one of the default actions that triggers opportunity attacks per PHB p. 268, so I disagree with that customer service ruling. When you attack with a flaming sphere, you provoke an OA. When you sustain a flaming sphere, you do not provoke an OA.

t~

I was just about to post an argument against this, when I went back to check the wording on the power.

As a standard action, you can make another attack with the sphere.

After re-reading the power text, I have to agree that this seems correct per RAW. I don't really agree with this, or think it "makes sense" but is does seem correct according to the rules.

Nail

First Post
Imho, sustain actions shouldn't provoke OA. 4E has reduced the types of actions that provoke OA for a reason.
BUt 4e has listed those actions that provoke for a reason too. ;)

Here's the OA text:"If an enemy
adjacent to you uses a ranged power or an area
power, you can make an opportunity attack against
that enemy.
"

Note that it doesn't say "attack". It says "uses".

Isn't sustaining a power using that power?

Caliban

Rules Monkey
BUt 4e has listed those actions that provoke for a reason too. ;)

Here's the OA text:"If an enemy
adjacent to you uses a ranged power or an area
power, you can make an opportunity attack against
that enemy."

Note that it doesn't say "attack". It says "uses".

No. But attacking with it again, or even moving it into someone could be considered "using it". Merely maintaining it's current state wouldn't be using it, in my opinion.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
No. But attacking with it again, or even moving it into someone could be considered "using it".

If we define making the attack next round as "using" Flaming Sphere, then it's forbidden.

Flaming Sphere is a Daily Power. PHB p54: "A daily power can be used once per day." If I used the Daily Power, Flaming Sphere, last round, and what I want to do this round is considered to be using Flaming Sphere, then I'm not allowed to do it.

Using a ranged power provokes an OA. A daily power can be used once per day. Therefore a daily ranged power can provoke an OA once per day.

-Hyp.

Jhaelen

First Post
Well, after rereading the power description, I'm inclined to agree that using a standard action to attack again with a Flaming Sphere while sustaining the power.
I don't think so. Sustaining a power in and of itself does not provoke, imho. Taking a look at PHB p.278:
Some effects do something, such as attack, when you sustain them.
It's pretty clear to me that sustaining effects that don't attack don't provoke.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Sustaining an existing power does not provoke OAs.

Only two things typically provoke OAs in 4e: Moving out of a threatened square, and initiating a power with the ranged or area keywords adjacent to a threatening enemy.

No other action provokes OAs unless the description for that action specifically says it provokes OAs.

Remove ads