D&D 5E Swashbuckler fighter subclass

Greg K

Legend
and what he studied there? How he use his education with his rapier close combats? Or talks with enemies? Swashbuckler can be educated, but it isn't base to be a swashbuckler.
The standard early 19th century European university liberal education which included courses in Classical Literature, History, Mathematics, Philosophy, Politics, Economics, Theology, Natural Philosophy (i.e. Natural Sciences, especially physical science)*, either Latin, Greek or French.

*Examples of sciences included within Natural Philosophy included astronomy, chemistry, geology, mechanics (Newtonian Physics), optics, and any other "modern" scientific developments prior to 1821- which includes hydraulics, hydrostatics, and perhaps electrostatics, magnetostatics (the latter two were already part of the Scottish University curriculum by the mid 19th century).

Last edited:

Voranzovin

Explorer
Every swashbuckling skill is based on charisma - persuation, deception, intimidate,...

Consider Inigo Montoya. I don't think anyone is going to claim he's not a swashbuckler. He isn't, however, particularly charismatic. He's not particularly good at convincing people of things. What has he done, though? He's studied swordsmanship, in both a practical and academic sense.

The question of Zorro's education is less relevant then how he actually comports himself. His name literally means "fox," by which he means that he outsmarts the Dons. Is Dnd's conception of Intelligence a perfect match for this sort of cleverness? Perhaps not, but neither do I think it's as precisely defined as you seem to think it is. After all, Rogues are proficient in Intelligence saves--and Rogues are not especially well known to be bookish types.

How he use his education with his rapier close combats?

Lets turn that around. How do you think he's specifically using his charisma to win rapier combats?

delph

Explorer
The standard early 19th century European university liberal education which included courses in Classical Literature, History, Mathematics, Philosophy, Politics, Economics, Theology, Natural Philosophy (i.e. Natural Sciences, especially physical science)*, either Latin, Greek or French.

*Examples of sciences included within Natural Philosophy included astronomy, chemistry, geology, mechanics (Newtonian Physics), optics, and any other "modern" scientific developments prior to 1821- which includes hydraulics, hydrostatics, and perhaps electrostatics, magnetostatics (the latter two were already part of the Scottish University curriculum by the mid 19th century).

and now you can find how he use this education in his fights?

Consider Inigo Montoya. I don't think anyone is going to claim he's not a swashbuckler. He isn't, however, particularly charismatic. He's not particularly good at convincing people of things. What has he done, though? He's studied swordsmanship, in both a practical and academic sense.

The question of Zorro's education is less relevant then how he actually comports himself. His name literally means "fox," by which he means that he outsmarts the Dons. Is Dnd's conception of Intelligence a perfect match for this sort of cleverness? Perhaps not, but neither do I think it's as precisely defined as you seem to think it is. After all, Rogues are proficient in Intelligence saves--and Rogues are not especially well known to be bookish types.

Lets turn that around. How do you think he's specifically using his charisma to win rapier combats?

Said something what enemies made confused and give you a small advantage in their later reaction. playing theater to distract enemies, laying, barganing,... thats all and more. And everything are in term of use in DnD Charisma skills.
And if you want to still don't use Charisma, but "cleverness" then I recommend to use Wisdom. At least it give a new way how to set fighter. Fighter with Intelligence is in rules, so Fighter with Wisdom give you whole new way how to play. As Charisma does too.

Remove ads