• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Swashbuckler

Baldguy33

First Post
Humm Maybe go Half Elf Instead and just not have a feat to start with?

I only have a 14 Dex at level 1 without DualWielder..... I do want to Have that bonus action attack as rogues don't get additional attacks ,so ill definatly be using 2 weapons its just a matter of deciding on 2 raipers or 2 short swords

Thurmas

Explorer
In that case, you won't want to be a Swashbuckler, though. That subclass' key features are all geared toward melee. CE Rogues are better as Assassins or Arcane Tricksters.

I guess I don't see any downside to Swashbuckler using it? Only one ability mentions a melee attack, Fancy Footwork, which you'll still be doing each turn with your main hand. Only instead of an offhand melee attack you make an offhand ranged attack.

I guess I don't see any downside to Swashbuckler using it? Only one ability mentions a melee attack, Fancy Footwork, which you'll still be doing each turn with your main hand. Only instead of an offhand melee attack you make an offhand ranged attack.

The Swashbuckler's special Sneak Attack feature requires you to be in melee range. Which you could do with a crossbow, but you can only do Fancy Footwork's free Disengage-ish type ability if you make an actual melee attack. So you'd be a sitting duck if making the bonus ranged attack, which kind of defeats the purpose of being a Swashbuckler in the first place.

Thurmas

Explorer
I believe in this case, you can have your cake and eat it too. You don't have to make a melee attack to get the Sneak Attack without advantage, you only have to be within 5 feet of the enemy (and no one else with 5' feet). You can make your melee attack (Sneak attack), which gives you the ability to disengage at any point during your turn from the enemy with Fancy Footwork (No AoO). You can also make your bonus action ranged attack either before or after you disengage (Sneak attack on this one if you choose, or if the first one missed).

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle

This. You are still doing everything a dueling swashbuckler does, but also shooting people. And it is very in theme.

Lanliss

Explorer
A crossbow attack within 5 feet is not a melee attack though. It's still a ranged attack, but in melee range. So no Fancy Footwork for you.

It doesn't require that the last attack of your turn be a melee attack, just that you made a melee attack against that creature.

Melee attack enemy (Qualify for fancy footwork)
Walk away
Fire crossbow as offhand attack.

OR

Melee attack (qualify for fancy footwork)
Crossbow attack (No disadvantage because of Crossbow Expert)
Walk away.

FarBeyondC

Explorer
A crossbow attack within 5 feet is not a melee attack though. It's still a ranged attack, but in melee range. So no Fancy Footwork for you.

?

The idea is that you attack in melee (with a melee attack) first, use Fancy Footwork to move away from the one you attacked, then fire the hand crossbow with your bonus action.

Thurmas

Explorer

There is obviously some disconnect here.

1. You move into melee range with an enemy.
2. You use the Attack Action to attack it with your Rapier (everyone loves rapiers).
3. Hooray! You made a melee attack! Now your enemy loses AoO against you for the rest of your turn thanks to Fancy Footwork.
4. If you want to, move away from the big scary enemy.
5. Attack something with your hand crossbow.
6. If you didn't move before shooting your hand crossbow, now take the opportunity to move away from the big scary enemy, still with no fear of AoO thanks to Fancy Footwork.
7. Profit.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads