D&D 5E Switching from Pathfinder to 5E

Werebat

Explorer
Again, thanks for all the info, folks. I'm actually getting stoked about this new edition!

Where can I find examples of 5E monster stats?

Also, I see that buying/selling magic items is gone (fully at the DM's discretion) in 5E, which has its good and bad points but is probably the right direction for the game to head at this time. Is there any word on item CREATION, though? Will it be gone completely, limited to potions, scrolls, and wands, or what?

Still reading through the free rule set so sorry if this is answered there, but I didn't see it mentioned.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Is there any word on item CREATION, though? Will it be gone completely, limited to potions, scrolls, and wands, or what?

Still reading through the free rule set so sorry if this is answered there, but I didn't see it mentioned.

The thing to remember is "basic" at this point - from the spoilered table of contents for the PHB, we already know magic item creation probably wont be in there, but I would expect to see both the magic items, and more about creating them, in the DMG in November.

And I will probably create an optional wizard variant that does NOT have 5E Basic's offensive cantrips, but instead has some sort of archivist-type ability to use knowledge to advise allies (a non-magical Mass Guidance or Mass Resistance?), and actually has to fall back on weapons. Maybe call that "Wizard" and the other one "Mage." I know I would definitely prefer to play the one that a) has his knowledge being almost as important as his spells, and b) CAN run out of magic and have to resort to a staff, dagger or crossbow. So I'd like to give that option.
I kind of like this idea, even if I don't ever use it. I don't have any suggestions regarding the knowledge/lore/archivist ability, but as far as cantrips go you could just disallow any cantrips that damage or hinder an enemy. A 20th-level wizard is supposed to know five cantrips, and the 5Basic* rules have exactly five such cantrips: dancing lights, light, mage hand, minor illusion, and prestidigitation--all of those are to their 3.5E versions except for minor illusion, which creates a sound or image of an object for one minute. The Player's Handbook will likely have more options. (Note that you'll probably also want to disallow sacred flame, which a ranged attack cantrip for clerics.)

The neat thing about simply disallowing the attack cantrips is that it shouldn't have any effect on game balance whatsoever; it'd be the same as if a character had just never chosen those options.

Again, thanks for all the info, folks. I'm actually getting stoked about this new edition!

Where can I find examples of 5E monster stats?
For the moment, the only non-playtest/homebrew monsters available come from the 5E Starter Set, but this should change dramatically by September when monsters are expected to be added to the 5Basic rules. There are a couple monster previews from the Starter Set floating around though:
[sblock="Nothic, Ochre Jelly, and Ogre preview"]
Found at http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ex/20140626.

Starter_Ex_Monsters.jpg
[/sblock]
[sblock="Goblin entry I typed up from the Starter Set for a thread about modifying monster stats in 5E"]Read more: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...all-the-dice-quot-variant-in-5E#ixzz38aQAokeP

GOBLIN
Small humanoid (goblinoid), neutral evil
-----
Armor Class 15 (leather armor, shield)
Hit Points 7 (2d6)
Speed 30 ft.
-----
STR 8 (-1);
DEX 14 (+2);
CON 10 (+0);
INT 10 (+0);
WIS 8 (-1);
CHA 8 (-1);
-----
Skills Stealth +6;
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 9
Languages Common, Goblin
Challenge 1/4 (50 XP)
-----
Nimble Escape. The goblin can take the Disengage or Hide action as a bonus action on each of its turns.
-----
ACTIONS
Scimitar. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) slashing damage.

Shortbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 80 ft./320 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) piercing damage.[/sblock]
I hope these help!

Also, I see that buying/selling magic items is gone (fully at the DM's discretion) in 5E, which has its good and bad points but is probably the right direction for the game to head at this time. Is there any word on item CREATION, though? Will it be gone completely, limited to potions, scrolls, and wands, or what?

Item creation is still a big question mark. I don't believe it's discussed at all in the current version of 5Basic*, and I don't believe there's any current rumours about it. If you're very curious, you could ask in another thread what the leaked closed-playtested alpha Player's Handbook says about it, but there's no guarantee the the info you'll get will be at all similar to the final version.

In other words, at the moment nobody knows what item creation will look like unfortunately. The good news is that we may know something about it in the next couple weeks when the Player's Handbook is released. (The bad news is that if item creation isn't in the Player's Handbook, you'll have to wait until November when the DMG comes out....)

*NOTES ABOUT TERMINOLOGY: 5E is short for "5th Edition". A lot of folks on these board have also taken to using @Thaumaturge 's term "5B" to refer to the free 5th Edition Basic subset of the rules, thought I personally call it "5Basic" just for the sake of clarity (and to distinguish it from old-fashion Basic D&D). The term "5A" (or "5Advanced") refers to the full set of 5E rules when you want to distinguish your topic from 5Basic.

Bringing the terms Basic and Advanced back to D&D also gives lots of us warm fuzzies. YMMV.

Remathilis

Legend
Hrm. Not sure I like that one. What is the point of reach weapons, then?

Would seem that running up to hit a monster that can reach 15' would mean it hits you before you hit it.

Reach lets you hit over another target (an ally with a shield for example).

Magic Item Creation Rules will be in the DMG. I think they said they will have two options: an "insert gold, get prize" method akin to 3e/4e, and a "find the blood of a dragon and whisper of a cat" method more common in 2e/1e. The DM can pick the one he likes. (Scrolls will be easy to make, their is a feat that does that in the PHB. Potions are likewise going to be easy, Potions of Healing can be made with an herbalists kit and 10 days of downtime.)

There are some monsters in the Starter Set (and some people linked a few examples). August 9th will have the DM expansion of the Basic Rules (same day as the PHB in WotC-sanctioned stores) and should have a good cross-section of common monsters.

jadrax

Adventurer
The thing to remember is "basic" at this point - from the spoilered table of contents for the PHB, we already know magic item creation probably wont be in there, but I would expect to see both the magic items, and more about creating them, in the DMG in November.

Yeah, even the Scribe Scroll feat that was floating about in the play tests has not made it to the PHB.

mips42

Adventurer
I will probably create an optional wizard variant that does NOT have 5E Basic's offensive cantrips, but instead has some sort of archivist-type ability to use knowledge to advise allies (a non-magical Mass Guidance or Mass Resistance?), and actually has to fall back on weapons. Maybe call that "Wizard" and the other one "Mage." I know I would definitely prefer to play the one that a) has his knowledge being almost as important as his spells, and b) CAN run out of magic and have to resort to a staff, dagger or crossbow. So I'd like to give that option.

I would call your proposed class a Seer (using the Sage or Acolyte background seems likely) and keep the 5Basic class as Wizard. Just my thought.

mips42

Adventurer
I would guess that Magic Item Creation would be a variant rule and that we won't see it until the DMG. Just a guess, though.

ren1999

First Post
The Pathfinder character creation guide is free on the Paizo website.

Ezren
Medium Humanoid (Human Male, speed 30 ft., speaks Common) Lawful Neutral
1st Level Wizard
HP 7 (HD1d6)
AC13 (Mage Armor)
Proficiency Bonus+2
str 12(+1), dex 10(+0), con 13(+1),
int 17(+3+proficiency bonus), wis 14(+2+proficiency bonus), cha 8(-1)
Skills intArcane+5, intHistory+5
Attack Quarterstaff 1d20+str mod+proficiency bonus 1d6+str mod bludgeoning damage
Attack Shortbow 1d20+dex mod+pro bon 1d8+dex mod piercing damage 80/320 ft. at disadvantage
Cantrip Ray of Frost 60 ft. 1d20+int+pro vs ac, 1d8 cold + target speed -10 ft.
1Slot1 Burning Hands 15 ft. cone DC8+int+pro vs dex for half damage or 3d6 fire damage
1Slot1 Mage Armor
AC13+dex

Merisiel

Medium Humanoid(Wood Elf Female, dex+2, wis+1 darkvision 60ft. wis(Perception+proficiency bonus), save@adv vs charm, immune sleep, speed 35 ft., speaks Common, Elvish, Thieves' Cant, can try to hide in light cover)
Chaotic Neutral Criminal Burglar

1st Level Rogue
HP 9 (HD1d8)
AC15 (Studded Leather Armor AC12+dex mod+3)
Proficiency Bonus+2
str 12(+1), dex 17(+3+proficiency bonus), con 12(+1),
int 10(+0+proficiency bonus), wis 13(+1), cha 10(+0)
Skills dexAcrobatics+5, chaDeception+2, wisPerception+3 x 2, dexStealth+5, Thieves' Tools(+proficiency bonus x 2 to disarm traps and open locks)
Attack Rapier 1d20+dex mod+proficiency bonus 1d8+dex mod piercing damage
Attack Shortbow 1d20+dex mod+pro bon 1d6+dex mod piercing damage 80/320 ft. at disadvantage
Attack on 1 adjacent foe or a foe you have advantage against per turn doing an extra 1d6 damage.

Anybody want to teach me how to calculate the Thieves' Tools proficiency?

Last edited:

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
*this shows I do not understand the skills rules completely. If Merisiel gets a +5 for all dex saves, why does she even need Acrobatics+5 when she could just roll a dex save with the same modifier?

They do different things? You don't roll Acrobatics to evade a fireball or dodge a blade trap, and you don't roll Dex save to run along a narrow ledge or wrigle out of a grapple.

I am very fond of the Pathfinder comic and I think it is a great idea that there will be a 5E comic coming out too! If WOTC is smart, they will have an RPG section at the end of each of their comics too!
I don't buy or read comics very often, but this is a damn good idea, and I'd be kinda shocked if they haven't already started doing this--if they haven't, they should!

Remove ads