Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide: The First Official D&D 5E Setting

Yes, it is new, I was just creating a thread for it myself.

Osgood

Adventurer
Wow, so much debate about a current release schedule vs. one more than a quarter century ago... I don't know how many other consumer bases would consider 1978 a fair point if reference for 2015. If a company produced 1978 levels of bell bottoms (lots) or computers (not many) today, I doubt many would think it's a smart move.

Like it or not times change and expectations change, the main relative meter should be the market demand.

Yaarel

He Mage
The self-restrained output of 5e is intentional.

It seems to me, WotC is waiting for the ‘dust to settle’ on the core rules of 5e, so as many players as possible are happy with the 5e system. There are still some tweaks going on, including a possible revamping of the Ranger and so on.

Afterward, they will start producing more books that use the core rules.

A little bit of patience now, will help create a more enduring system for the future. A stitch in time saves nine, sotospeak.

WotC said something along similar lines with regard to indy publishers. They wanted players to thuroly understand the 5e system, how it behaves and by what means it balances, before creating other products for it.

It seems to me, WotC is waiting for the ‘dust to settle’ on the core rules of 5e, so as many players as possible are happy with the 5e system. There are still some tweaks going on, including a possible revamping of the Ranger and so on.

A little bit of patience now, will help create a more enduring system for the future. A stitch in time saves nine, sotospeak.

WotC said something along similar lines with regard to indy publishers. They wanted players to thuroly understand the 5e system, how it behaves and by what means it balances, before creating other products for it.

I love this idea. We really need to get to know the system, get the weeks going before getting other products for 5E. Very smart though it drives some impatient people mad. I'm glad I am not impatient or I would be going well... mad. lol

DM Howard

Explorer

I just don't think this is what's happening. They've said in a recent D&D podcast (I believe the one before the most recent) how they are continuing forward with a slow release schedule for the foreseeable future.

Believe me I will be more than willing to eat my words, but I think that WotC has been scared into something close to inaction due to the reception and subsequent perceived failure of 4E.

HobbitFan

Explorer
I'm feeling cautiously optimistic about it.
I'm frankly quite surprised by them releasing FR update material at all...so Yeah!

I'm just not sure about the format.
A book largely meant for players (according to their own copy) is not in my mind the best way to present camapign setting material to DMs.
It seems to me like this book is trying to do too much at once. Be a character options book, a setting update and a video game tie-in.
That seems like too many hats to wear, so to speak.

mouselim

First Post
Well, I can't wait to read it but I hope that it has tons of details, lead-ins, backgrounds, factions, secrets, etc and not simply fluff stuff that is too superficial and next to useless...keeping all fingers and toes crossed.

Uchawi

First Post
It will be interesting to see how closely the video game matches the 5E rule set. But for a setting, if you want to get me all nostalgic then release an updated Greyhawk. But you better release some updated mechanics for martial classes, like maneuvers.

Remove ads

Remove ads