• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Swordmage low on Items...suggestions?

afata5

First Post
Hey all,

We did a quick count the other day and we found that my swordmage (lvl 8 Eladrin, sheilding) was below par for its level when it came to magic items...

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions?

Here is what I currently have:

Bloodclaw Longsword +2
Magic Hide Armor +1
Skull Bracers
Shadowfell Gloves
Cloak of Resistance +1

Thanks,

Al

Herschel

Adventurer
You're not really behind in number, but I'd say your items are lacking flavor.

1. Dump the Bloodclaw. You should be at or about a +2 weapon, shoot for Vengeful. Save your action point and go to town with it when you need to.

2. Why did you waste a feat on hide? For the same feat cost and exactly 1 stat point you can have Improved Swordmage Warding, +1 to initiative and if you ever need a missile weapon AND you open the door to numerous multi-class feats, not that Swordmages don't have a ton of use for feats anyway. (I'm assuming you already have Focused Expertise, Toughness and Eladrin Soldier already).

3. I find resistences HUGE with a Swordmage, especially when hosing a solo, say, dragon or the like. Cloak of Survival (Fire & Cold), Deathcut Armor (Necrotic & Poison), Viper Belt (Poison) or just Armor of Resistance (choose) are very good. Ongoing damage eats away at HP fairly quickly and somewhat stealthily. Make it so you ignore a lot of it.

4. If you still want a bit of an AC boost, Boots of the Fencing Master are nice. Sure you need to shift, but they're dandy. You want a very nice AC, but don't make it TOO high. You want to be attacked.

afata5

First Post
Thanks for the feedback Herschel.

2. Why did you waste a feat on hide? For the same feat cost and exactly 1 stat point you can have Improved Swordmage Warding, +1 to initiative and if you ever need a missile weapon AND you open the door to numerous multi-class feats, not that Swordmages don't have a ton of use for feats anyway. (I'm assuming you already have Focused Expertise, Toughness and Eladrin Soldier already).

the reason I didn't take Improved Swordmage Warding is simply because Arcane power had not been out when I got to that point. Didn't switch it up yet, but it is a good plan to do so. Although, if i go down, that extra 1 armor from Hide does come in practical.
I do have Eladrin Soldier but not the others. I didn't find that 5 HP from toughness was worth it yet but I do like the Focused Expertise (Longsword).

3. I find resistences HUGE with a Swordmage, especially when hosing a solo, say, dragon or the like. Cloak of Survival (Fire & Cold), Deathcut Armor (Necrotic & Poison), Viper Belt (Poison) or just Armor of Resistance (choose) are very good. Ongoing damage eats away at HP fairly quickly and somewhat stealthily. Make it so you ignore a lot of it.

So far, in our games, there have not been to much need for resistances. It is not that often that there is ongoing damage..although that may change.

4. If you still want a bit of an AC boost, Boots of the Fencing Master are nice. Sure you need to shift, but they're dandy. You want a very nice AC,
but don't make it TOO high. You want to be attacked.

I was looking for something that would help with my at wills or movement/teleportation. I like the Cloak of Translocation (lvl 9) so far is nice for example.

al

Remove ads