Level Up (A5E) Swordmage/ Magus

I’m working a Swordmage/Magus using Herald as the base structure. Pulling elements from Elditch Knight, Korranberg Swordmage, 4e Swordmage, and Pathfinder Magus. The hardest part is feeling like the class is highly overtunned and overloaded compared to o5e. Any one have any documentation on the A5e class design philosophy? For examples which levels are meant social/exploration ribbons, core combat features, limited use, etc? Thank you.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I’m working a Swordmage/Magus using Herald as the base structure. Pulling elements from Elditch Knight, Korranberg Swordmage, 4e Swordmage, and Pathfinder Magus. The hardest part is feeling like the class is highly overtunned and overloaded compared to o5e. Any one have any documentation on the A5e class design philosophy? For examples which levels are meant social/exploration ribbons, core combat features, limited use, etc? Thank you.
Swordmage as a class almost sounds like trying to fit the concept into the wrong designspace.
  • Bladechanter>whirling incantor>eldritch whirlwind master
  • Eldritch archer>arrow enchanter>eldritch volley master
  • Mystic arcanist>Pure arcanist>Arcanum Master
  • Nightstalker>subtly Skilled>Night Master
  • Proclaimer>divine orator>Harbinger of things to come
  • ShadowDancer>shadowmancer>Shadow Assassin
  • Untamed>living Stampeed>WildRioter
  • Vigilante>Equipped For Justice>A symbol that strikes Fear

Swordmage as a class almost sounds like trying to fit the concept into the wrong designspace.
  • Bladechanter>whirling incantor>eldritch whirlwind master
  • Eldritch archer>arrow enchanter>eldritch volley master
  • Mystic arcanist>Pure arcanist>Arcanum Master
  • Nightstalker>subtly Skilled>Night Master
  • Proclaimer>divine orator>Harbinger of things to come
  • ShadowDancer>shadowmancer>Shadow Assassin
  • Untamed>living Stampeed>WildRioter
  • Vigilante>Equipped For Justice>A symbol that strikes Fear
Fair enough. I admittedly have just started tinkering and theory crafting with A5e, but my gut reaction is that synergistic feat trees and multi-classing will not be a satisfactory solution to an all encompassing Gish type class. If this were the case it seems like the same could be said for Heralds (fighter/clerics). The Swordmage I was imagining is very similar to a Herald/Paladin but with an Arcane focus instead of Divine power ie. Spell Strikes instead of Divine Smite, Aegis type abilities as opposed to Auras, etc. A lot of this could likely be accomplished with reflavoring and minor tweaks but I will take some time to explore the other RAW options before jumping in head first to a shallow pool :)

Sepulchre

Explorer
Fair enough. I admittedly have just started tinkering and theory crafting with A5e, but my gut reaction is that synergistic feat trees and multi-classing will not be a satisfactory solution to an all encompassing Gish type class. If this were the case it seems like the same could be said for Heralds (fighter/clerics). The Swordmage I was imagining is very similar to a Herald/Paladin but with an Arcane focus instead of Divine power ie. Spell Strikes instead of Divine Smite, Aegis type abilities as opposed to Auras, etc. A lot of this could likely be accomplished with reflavoring and minor tweaks but I will take some time to explore the other RAW options before jumping in head first to a shallow pool :)
A simple mechanical solution is probably to just swap radiant damage for force damage and charisma for intelligence. It obviously won’t be particularly distinct.

Xethreau

Josh Gentry - Author, Minister in Training
Such documentation is not publicly available.

That said, if the build of the class is similar to herald I would use it as a baseline for when to do social, combat, exploration pillar features. Even so, I would imagine you have a lot of freedom to create a blend that feels "right."

Timespike

A5E Designer and third-party publisher
Such documentation is not publicly available.

That said, if the build of the class is similar to herald I would use it as a baseline for when to do social, combat, exploration pillar features. Even so, I would imagine you have a lot of freedom to create a blend that feels "right."
This.

Use the herald's spell and maneuver progressions as a skeleton and flesh out from there.

TerranHirons

Villager
i sort of agree on the herald base, only, if you're planning to have the magus casting spells through their weapon attacks ala pathfinder it might not be the best idea to have them also have to spend spell slots on exertion. I just imagine that would likely lead to them very quickly spending all their slots and then not being able to do the thing their class is supposed to do, somthing to think about.

Remove ads