• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tabletop Game Night...Online?

Family

First Post
Has anybody been able to crack this nut, I mean there's enough of us here to form groups of players/games that we'd like at times we have open...and the net is quite the tool...but would it be a poor second cousin to both in-home TT gaming & MMORPGing?

How would you ensure dice rolls? (I'd have the DM roll all dice).

What about communicating? (A VoiP chatroom would work well).

What about a battle grid? (I'd free form it).

Pizza? (You're on your own but don't chew into the mic).

Thoughts?

evilref

Explorer
Has anybody been able to crack this nut, I mean there's enough of us here to form groups of players/games that we'd like at times we have open...and the net is quite the tool...but would it be a poor second cousin to both in-home TT gaming & MMORPGing?

How would you ensure dice rolls? (I'd have the DM roll all dice).

What about communicating? (A VoiP chatroom would work well).

What about a battle grid? (I'd free form it).

Pizza? (You're on your own but don't chew into the mic).

Thoughts?

Maptool
FantasyGrounds
BattleGrounds

There are a huge plethora of virtual tabletops out there, and that 'nut' has been cracked years ago. I run one face to face campaign and one online campaign, and the online campaign lets me take full advantage of the net and my design skills (flash introductions to a campaign work really well).

Treebore

First Post
Maptool
FantasyGrounds
BattleGrounds

There are a huge plethora of virtual tabletops out there, and that 'nut' has been cracked years ago. I run one face to face campaign and one online campaign, and the online campaign lets me take full advantage of the net and my design skills (flash introductions to a campaign work really well).

Yep. I am playing in several on line games using SKYPE and Maptools. Playing in a game today in fact. Plus now that I am used to doing games on line I think I like on line better then face to face in most ways. We certainly stay more focused/on task and get more done then the face to face games do.

Plus Maptools is awesome with its macros, line of sight, map layering, etc... its hard to believe its free, being as awesome as it is.

Emirikol

Adventurer
Fam,

MAPTOOLS is your answer. Plus it's freeware. Go there and check out the forums. There are always pick-up games going on so you can learn the game. www.RPTOOLS.net

Here's a screenshot from a recent game I ran:
http://gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/emirikol7/wfrpmaptools.jpg.html
wfrpmaptools.jpg.html

It's really quite phenomenal. A year ago, had you asked me if I'd be playing tehse or even knew what they were, I'd just shrug. Now, they're great for side-quests or even full-fledged games.

jh

Last edited:

Emirikol

Adventurer
BTW, the tutorials for MAPTOOLS are also a piece of art. They guy who did them, does those things for a living..so he's really got it set up nice.

There's a player quick start: which any first time user should watch.

jay

Lord Xtheth

First Post
Fam,

MAPTOOLS is your answer. Plus it's freeware. Go there and check out the forums. There are always pick-up games going on so you can learn the game. www.RPTOOLS.net

jh

It might just be me missing somthing, but I can't find the On-line stuffs. Unless it has none, in which case Maptools isn't the answer.

Edit: I also can't find these videos, so its probably just me

Stoat

Adventurer
I've been playing online for about 2 years.

My group started with Kloogeworks, but found the program unstable and prone to crash. We switched to d20pro about a year ago. We use Teamspeak or Skype to talk.

I was against VTT gaming for a long time. I only started playing online after it became impossible to play otherwise. I wish now that I had started earlier.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads