Tactical Help

Barcode

First Post
It was the first meeting with the big bad. He is a Ghost/Sorcerer 10/Diabolist 8, and I am using the Possession rules from BoVD in lieu of the Malevolence ability. The guy is really hard to get to, being able to jump from body to body, incorporeal, and he has some pretty nasty enchantment spells.

Now, the intent was to reveal himself, after a big battle while the PC's (all 12th level) were depleted of spells, take the artifact that the PC's are carrying and go off to perform the dark ritual, giving the PC's a sense of urgency and tension as to how they are going to successfully fight this guy, and before he finishes the ritual.

Instead, the battle went something like this: The Bard (with Prot Evil up) readies an action to cast silence next to the ghost as soon as he tries to cast a spell. Everytime the big bad tries to cast, he gets silenced (the Bard has like five silence scrolls). Meanwhile, the big bad is getting whittled away with magic missiles, the only spell the PC's have left. He is not in real danger, but is generally losing his menace. I didn't give the big bad Silent Spell, and almost all his spells have verbal components. He has Spell Turning up, but this does not help against Silence. He ended up retreating and coming back with some pretty overpowered help, but the fact that this was necessary seriously disrespects the big bad. The aforementioned Bard is a loud mouthed braggart, and I will personally suffer some irritating role playing now besides.

My failure to anticipate this tactic notwithstanding, does anyone know a way to defeat it without me retroactively giving this guy Silent Spell or SR? The players know he didn't have either the first time around, and will certainly cry foul if he shows up with it in a later battle. It sounds like a pretty easy tactic to use in any battle - just sacrifice a low-level spellcaster's actions to perpetually stymie the high level caster until the party's fighters can wade through his protectors.

Thanks in advance,

-B-

Cedric

First Post
First of all...throw up a shield spell. No BBG should be punked by magic missiles. Second...Globe of Invulnerability is your friend.

Cedric

First Post
Globe of Invulnerability will keep out the silence affect unless the bard has Heightened it to a 5th level spell.

Coredump

Explorer
Cedric said:
Globe of Invulnerability will keep out the silence affect unless the bard has Heightened it to a 5th level spell.

Um, what about waiting until he bard casts silence, and then moving 15' and casting? I realize I may be missing something about the timing issues...

Plus, Prot from E only lasts 12 minutes. He can just leave and come back...

Also, the next time the BBEG shows up, the bard will need to cast PfE first.

Can the BBEG get invisibility? or Haste?

Barcode

First Post
Cedric said:

True. I hadn't given him Lesser GoI as part of his repertoire, tho'. Its stationary nature seemed a bit wasteful for a creature that can go ethereal and move through the floor or fly at will. Also, it is verbal, so he would have to have had it up before the Bard was able to ready his action. The opening soliloquy was along the lines of "I can go anywhere and you can't really hurt me, whereas I can hurt the hell out of you", and the impact would have been lessened if he was hiding behind a GoI at the time. Not as much as being stalemated with a second level spell though, fer sure.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Barcode said:
Can't. Prot Evil. Can't dispel it - verbal.
Then possess the fighter and go sunder the bards scrolls.

Basically, don't cast spells, use your other abilities. Remember, spell-like abilities don't have verbal, somatic, or material components.

XCorvis

First Post
Turnabout is fair play.

Step 1: Ghost shows up, with some corporeal minions. Hmm... One of the minions is radiating magic, say a dire ape...

Step 2: Said minion rushes the bard and starts to grapple. Bard is screwed unless others come to help, because ALL of his spells have verbal components.

Step 3: Ghost acts normally while hindering attempts to free the bard.

Or, more simply, just have the ghost suprise them. On the suprise round, he nails the bard with a heightened scroll of silence.

Alternately, have a minion pick the bard's pockets before a fight, or limit the availability of silence scrolls. Or add a magic item to the ghost's equipment - say, a metamagic rod of silent spell (T&B) or a ring of counterspells (I think it works on area effects too), or a scroll of silent dispel magic.

One more thing you could try - leave the area. Possess a party member and RUN. Just leave. Make them follow you into the fiendish trap you've designed, or just throw yourself off a cliff and then unpossess the poor sucker.

Remove ads