• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Take 20

Artoomis

First Post
Mal Malenkirk said:
Well, you're not allowed to take 10 in Disable device unless you have skill mastery (disable device), a special ability that a high level rogue can choose to gain.

And I meant search, not disable device in my earlier post. I edited it.

That's Mal's opinion.

By the rules, you can take 10 on Disable Device. If you think that
the character is not in a rush and is not being threatened or distracted
then you can take 10. Whether or not that is the situation for Disable Device is a decision to make as the DM, but a blanket statement sayng you "can't " is simply not true and is misleading to those trying to understand how the rules work. Sorry to pick on you, Mal, but you made it sound like you were saying what's is and is not possible in the rules without including any sort of disclaimer. I hope I didn't take your comment out of context.

As for high level rogue special ability, that let's you take 10 even when rushed or being threatened or distracted. So you could take 10 to disable a trap even when the monsters are coming. Heck, even if they were shooting at you - in fact, you could do it even if the monster were swinging on you, though it would surely generate an AoO.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads