Dragonlance Takhisis Revealed In New Dragonlance Preview Art

WotC has shared some new art of Takhisis, Dragonlance’s 5-headed dragon queen.

WotC has shared some new art of Takhisis, Dragonlance’s 5-headed dragon queen.

0CACA73A-7284-4949-A8BB-D2DF28CC734C.jpeg

F3DB060F-C73C-4644-95C5-376C2375CBA8.jpeg

Deities would be among the few figures who could actually rock the chainmail bikini as they wouldn't be fearing damage. Depends whether you want temptation to be part of their portfolio.
As for practical armor--that actually doesn't matter for a goddess. Something impractical, whether it be unrealistically spiny or skimpy, is actually a nice way to show that the being is supernatural and doesn't have to consider practicalities.
It's a very different franchise, and I'm not going to pretend the design isn't at least partially just for blatant fanservice, but that's more or less the in-universe justification for the default outfit of the character Othinus from A Certain Magical Index NT, who is quite literally the Norse god Odin as a teenage(-looking) anime girl. She shows a lot of skin (once you get past her cloak and wide-brimmed witch's hat) precisely because basically nothing her enemies can throw at her would actually be capable of harming her, and she wants them to know that.

dave2008

Legend
I've always preferred the sleeker Caldwell version of the dragons, so I'm not a huge fan of that art and they way dragons are depicted in D&D now. Eh, I guess that boat sailed more than 20 years ago though...lol
Yikes, I am the opposite. One thing I generally disliked about old school DL was Caldwell dragons! I always hated when he was given the art commission for dragon.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Isn't she trapped in The Abyss, and the whole point of the war (aside from gaining power/land) is to get her out of The Abyss?

Is she now in the New Continuity already out of the Abyss? Which has huge ramifications for... never mind. It doesn't matter.
What about the images causes you to jump straight to the idea that she is free from the Abyss?
I've always preferred the sleeker Caldwell version of the dragons, so I'm not a huge fan of that art and they way dragons are depicted in D&D now. Eh, I guess that boat sailed more than 20 years ago though...lol
I get the appeal, very classic “side of a van” fantasy art.
Yikes, I am the opposite. One thing I generally disliked about old school DL was Caldwell dragons! I always hated when he was given the art commission for dragon.
Elmore’s DL art is iconic, and what I think of when I think Dragonlance.

But I’d hope we can all agree that D&D dragons have always been kinda bad, artistically?

Like…modern D&D dragons are too repetitive due to the specific design by color variant, gem dragons are meh, and the older ones tend toward the goofy. IMO

dave2008

Legend
But I’d hope we can all agree that D&D dragons have always been kinda bad, artistically?
I don't know. I think there has been some really good dragon art, even if I don't 100% agree with the design choices. My issue with Caldwell's dragons are less the design and more his style. I think there has been a lot of good dragon art in 5e and it looks like this DL stuff will continue with that tradition.

So I guess, what do you mean by "artistically?"

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I don't know. I think there has been some really good dragon art, even if I don't 100% agree with the design choices. My issue with Caldwell's dragons are less the design and more his style. I think there has been a lot of good dragon art in 5e and it looks like this DL stuff will continue with that tradition.

So I guess, what do you mean by "artistically?"
Very fair. What I really mean, I guess, is art direction. The design aesthetics of dragons in dnd have always, to me, fallen so far short of anything I'd call interesting and cool/good that I wonder who the heck is making these style decisions.

Remove ads

Remove ads