Taking the Chair

In a previous article, I said it was time we all stepped up and tried GMing for a change. However, I do appreciate it isn’t that easy. If you are thinking of running a game but you don’t know where to start, here’s some helpful advice.

In a previous article, I said it was time we all stepped up and tried GMing for a change. However, I do appreciate it isn’t that easy. If you are thinking of running a game but you don’t know where to start, here’s some helpful advice.

chair.jpg

Photo by Kelly Miller on Unsplash

Don’t Panic​

My first advice is the most important: don’t sweat this. You are new to it and your group should appreciate that, but if it all goes wrong it is not the end of the world. It is all just a game and if it all goes dreadfully badly, call it a night and break out a board game if there is time. No harm, no foul. I should add that if your first game is awful; try not to let that put you off. There may be something you can learn from the experience that will make it worth taking another try. It might not even be your fault. Take a break, see how your usual GM handles the game (maybe ask them how they would have run that session) and give it another go when you are ready.

Play a Storygame​

There are a lot of ‘GM-less’ games out there and somewhat ironically they are a great way to build up to running a game. Most of them aren’t absent of a GM, they just insist everyone takes turns being the GM. Fiasco is a good example and there are plenty more. In such games you are free to experiment with narrative, test your improvisation and get a feel for being the one in charge of the story. But you only have to do so for your turn and can easily pass on the reins.

Get Your Group Onside​

Make sure everyone is okay with you taking over while you’re still learning. Your players might have a reasonable objection, such as a campaign coming to a climax they want to get past before trying something else. But if the usual GM needs a break, they may also jump at the chance when the alternative is not gaming at all. Get players on your side before you start and they will undoubtedly help you through your first session.

Assist Your Usual GM​

Consider running a character that is more of an NPC. You might be the patron who hires the party or the noble they have to protect on their journey etc. While you’ll play a character for the most part, you are really an NPC with a lot more focus. With a particular agenda and goal for the story you can help run the adventure from the inside (which is why the others in the group should know you are ‘in collusion’ with the GM). You will know more about what is going on and can assist the GM in driving the story in the right direction. With more confidence, you might end up running all the NPCs, and by association any combat. Eventually you might take on more responsibility until the usual GM is basically watching you and advising now and again. It is a little trickier as the usual GM needs to plan the adventure around you taking over. But they may also welcome the help and input.

Love the Game You Want to Run​

Don’t let anyone talk you into anything you are not comfortable with. You are going to have to build the world and make the calls so it should be a game you love and ideally know well. Being a GM is an investment, and playing a game you don't like will make it a real slog.

Know The basics​

You should know the basics of the system you are using, but just the very basics are all you need. If someone else at the table knows the rules, they can usually help you through it. But you can always just declare you are not going to use any rules beyond a basic skill test (with only a couple more bells and whistles for combat). Rules are not the be all and end all of GMing. You can know the rulebook by heart and still be a lousy GM. As long as you have a grasp of the fundamentals (which you’ll have as a player of the game quite probably) you are good to go.

Use a Published Adventure​

It is best to use a published adventure on your first time in the GM chair, even if you already have a cool idea for one. Using a published adventure isn’t so much about giving you training wheels as giving you a solid foundation to build on. Such an adventure will have predicted most of the pitfalls already and give you a solid base to start with. While your idea for an adventure might be awesome, save it for your second go. Until you’ve run a game, there are a host of eventualities you might not have considered. If you enjoy the experience, you’ve got all the time in the world to run as many adventures as you like.

Read the Adventure Twice​

Santa checks his list twice and so should you! On the first read of an adventure you'll get the idea of what it’s about. The second read will not only help you understand the details but also help you remember everything. Obviously you don’t need to run from memory, but a good understanding of what is coming next and what the adventurers may have missed in the previous section will help you tremendously. What happens next is the one thing players can’t help with, so you need to have it clearly in your mind as much as possible.

Run When You Are Ready To​

Make sure you are ready to run the game when you come to sit in the chair. If you need another week to read the adventure again, take another week. While you shouldn’t keep postponing your debut, you shouldn’t feel pressured either. So, only run when you are ready, but do try and get ready in time if you can.

Figure Out the First Scene​

The hardest part of any adventure is arguably starting it. You’ll sit in the chair; get out your dice and the adventure you have read several times. The players look at you expectedly and you just go blank. What was that first scene? It’s a bar but what sort of bar? Which NPCs were there? Who should I describe first? It can be a minefield. So take a moment before game night to consider how you will set that first scene and what you’ll say. It might be as easy as reading boxed text, but what will you want to point out to the players when you finish?

Once that opening scene is out of the way, you are off and from here the players and their characters will help you guide the story. You just need to get the ball rolling usually. But once you have done that, congratulations, you're a GM!

Andrew Peregrine

Andrew Peregrine

Arilyn

Hero
I like the idea of a gaming group playing a casual game with a weekly rotation of GM. Everyone takes a turn but no pressure to remain GM for weeks. And I've always thought co-gming is a great idea for a brand new GM or even seasoned ones. There's a need for more GMs, and there's plenty of advice, but GMs are often just jumping into the deep end.

imagineGod

Legend
I like the idea of a gaming group playing a casual game with a weekly rotation of GM. Everyone takes a turn but no pressure to remain GM for weeks. And I've always thought co-gming is a great idea for a brand new GM or even seasoned ones. There's a need for more GMs, and there's plenty of advice, but GMs are often just jumping into the deep end.
We do that, with a regular dose of 5th Edition, then breaks for the GM while others try to run some one shits or short campaigns during the break. I plan to try running the new Ironsworn Starforged during next summer break if Kickstarter delivers early.

aco175

Legend
I would echo starting off with a published adventure. Even if it is an older edition that you try to convert and use for a loose story, you may be better off with a frame of the story for the first couple levels.

Feel free to steal things from online to use in your homemade world. A lot of new DMs feel the need to make maps and worlds before getting to the first game. Take something like Phandalin or Netir Vale and just use that. Focus on the story and NPCs.

I would also say to have the players help you with other DM tasks. One of my players tracks initiative and another looks stuff up for me when we need a spell or such. These smaller things helps at the table and frees the DM up for other things.

I'm looking forward to the day my son wants to run his first game.

lyle.spade

Adventurer
This is all very good advice - I hope it gets out there to people so that those considering running games can read it. I'll add one thing, as a subset of 'Know The Basics:" make a rules cheatsheet. One page, with summaries of the most essential rules as related to the story you are going to run...and use that, not a book. I've found that when I'm feeling out of my depth, flipping pages in a thick rulebook only compounds that sense of being lost or somehow doing poorly.

I do this sometimes when I run convention games, in order to keep the pace lively - and I establish from the jump that we're not going to refer to the books and that we'll make calls at the table in order to keep things going.

If you make a one page reference - MAKE, not find or copy - you'll do the double duty of helping yourself understand and remember the rules you'll need for that adventure. because you'll be reading and summarizing them into your own words; and, in so doing, you'll have that reference sheet, ready to go, if you do need to use it while in the session.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Don't be afraid to try different things. Running different games requires a different skillset. When I was younger there was a period of time when I thought I was not cut out to be a GM. Turns out I just was not cut out for a particular sort of GMing (linear storytelling). When I got a chance to run some other sorts of games I was pretty solid.

Find your people. Running a game is audience specific too. Just because you are not a good fit for a given group does not mean you are a poor GM. It often means there are some stylistic differences.

aco175

Legend
Don't be afraid to try different things. Running different games requires a different skillset. When I was younger there was a period of time when I thought I was not cut out to be a GM. Turns out I just was not cut out for a particular sort of GMing (linear storytelling). When I got a chance to run some other sorts of games I was pretty solid.
Great advise, I would echo that you can figure out what you like by running different styles of the dame game. I tend to make more hack and slash D&D over storytelling D&D. I feel I'm better DMing a dungeoncrawl better than a mystery. Challenging yourself to run the different styles will help you overall. One week you have no fights and another you have a series of traps and puzzles and see how you and the players like it.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
Definitely run what you love. So much advice telling new GMs to start with a dungeon, but if you hate dungeons there could be a huge motivation problem.
This pretty much, that energy is infectious for the player.

At the other end of the table, I was recently a player in a FATE game, GM was good, and while I would play again, it isn't a system I would ever want to GM; to much to track with aspects, stunts, compels, etc.. So that not only dungeons, it is also the system mechanics that one should be invested in.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads