Tales from the Yawning Portal vs. Ghosts of Saltmarsh, Part TWO! Vote for your favorite adventures

What are your favorite adventures in Tales from the Yawning Portal and Ghosts of Saltmarsh?

• The Sunless Citadel

Votes: 19 37.3%
  • The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh

Votes: 24 47.1%
  • Forge of Fury

Votes: 15 29.4%
  • Danger at Dunwater

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan

Votes: 16 31.4%
  • Salvage Operation

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • White Plume Mountain

Votes: 21 41.2%
  • Isle of the Abbey

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Dead in Thay

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • The Final Enemy

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Against the Giant

Votes: 18 35.3%
  • Tammeraut's Fate

• Tomb of Horrors

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • The Styes

Paul takes the Dodge Action!

Regardless, even excluding the cursed items, means that 70% of the magic items for the 5 level tier 2 are present at this single location.

Paul takes the Dodge Action!

Regardless, even excluding the cursed items, means that 70% of the magic items for the 5 level tier 2 are present at this single location.
But the whole point of Hidden Shrine is to get out as quickly as possible, so the players should miss most of the stuff. Exploring every nook and crany is supposed to mean death in this adventure.

And you are completely missing the point of the magic item guidelines. They are supposed to limit the power of the party, so finding something you can't use (e.g. yet another +1 longsword) doesn't count.

So your presumption of how the module should play, is how it is supposed to play...so essentially you are saying I and everyone differing from your opinion is playing the game wrong.

ok.

1- You have offered no evidence, you made no arguments, only words on a screen, like tears in the rain.
1a- Defend your XGE Awarding Magic Item thesis that the intent is to limit party power.
You are supposing an inference. The 5e DMG rules are wafer thin in terms of awarding Magic Items guidance, the weakest in the history of the game. Page 133 of the DMG is minuscule when compared to the Treasure Tables of 1e MM plus the 1e DMG. This is true when 2e, 3e, and 4e rules are looked at vis a vis 5e treasure rules.

The niche of needing more substantive Magic Item Awarding guidelines was present, and the D&D team recognized this, and evolved to fill the niche. Please defend your stated presumption of design intent.

2- The ‘point’ of any survival scenario is to mitigate the exposure to deleterious environmental factors to a manageable level. If rooms 1-38 were filled or filling up with 55 damage lava, then yes the only way to play would be to book it or else cook it.

points of poison damage an hour is not lava.

I have played this adventure at least 3 times in my life. Each time I’ve seen fissures in the group develop over fleeing fast and far away as immediately as possible, or doing some exploration.
The rooms in the poison cloud are fun and evocative precisely so that ones desire for self preservation conflicts with the desire to see what other interesting things are to be found.

This is Quintessential 1e design in my opinion; players expect to be intelligent enough to solve the challenges, without being wise enough to avoid the whole mishegas to begin with. (Which is how Gary G characterized his relationship to smoking).

To use an analogy if one asked people to give a mathematical operation that results in the whole number ‘2’, one might presume the likely answer given would be 1+1. Clearly this is not the sole answer though. If 1+1 is supposed to be the correct answer, than one needs to reform the question!

If exploring cool rooms with encounters through poison clouds while staying alive, if exploration of the temple is not the true goal, then why make it cool?

Group Int(Investigation) or Wis(Survival) checks to determine how long it takes to find a safe route out and then applying damage based off the time rolled could adjudicate this in a matter of moments. Of course then the module would not be a classic.

To bring this sub conversation back to the point of this thread, in ‘Adventure Path’, Prakriti outlined, I think it is entirely reasonable to warn DMs whose only experience has been 5e that loot in Tam & White Plume is handled a bit differently than in most 5e products.

Also, Paul, thank you for being a good sport.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
so your presumption of how the module should play, is how it is supposed to play...so essentially you are saying I and everyone differing from your opinion is playing the game wrong.

I think @Paul Farquhar and at least myself are thinking of Hidden Shrine in relation to its original release. Where it was literally a time-limited event
bell of lost souls said:
This is likely owing to the fact that the module was originally published as the Tournament Module for Origins ’79, which meant that teams of players would be given two hours in real-time to try and make their way through the entire dungeon. There was even a scoring system.

Source: D&D: The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan - Bell of Lost Souls

It's not a presumption of how the module should play it's literally how the module was designed to play. If you want to play it differently at your tables that is always up to the table.

The fact that there is a deadly miasma in the air that prevents you from taking long rests and therefore gaining those benefits doesn't lend itself to lots of in-depth exploration, so many people miss much of the actual map and items to be had as they rush to get out.

So your presumption of how the module should play, is how it is supposed to play...so essentially you are saying I and everyone differing from your opinion is playing the game wrong.

It doesn't really work as a story if players aren't pressed to get out. All the side branches are designed to be time-sink traps, certain encounters make no sense if the party backtracks, most of the things that look like looting opportunities are actually designed to kill, and so on.

Sure, you can play it differently, but then it goes from being a well designed module to a badly designed module (and yes, under those circumstances, if the DM isn't willing to kill them off, players could end up with too much loot).

R_J_K75

Legend
I voted for the Sunless Citadel. I remember it being mediocre but I think that was a result of learning the new 3E rules more than it being a reflection of the module itself. Was that Bruce Cordell? I think we kidnapped the kobold to interrogate him only to have him run, escaping through the market place, I gave him the old Mick Dundee and hit him with a can of trail rations to his head with a Nat 20. My DM said you cant do that I said why not, I at least have a chance, and I KO'd him three blocks away.

Getting back to the OP, all the maps of the Yawning Portal always seemed off. The way it was described over the years in products and the maps always seemed at odds. The map never seemed to live up to the description, at least in my usage of both, never seemed to gel right, Always seemed too small.

Remove ads