D&D General Talking to Players

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
When I think "pirate" game, I'm thinking of a dark, gritty, unrated, evil type game. I'm not thinking of the happy guy swinging on a rope saying "tally-ho". I think a show like Black Sails for pirates.

It's like someone saying they want to play a "carjacker game", but they mean an "car racing game"
I mean, D&D characters are usually the protagonists, which in pirate media usually means they’re the “good pirates” - the Robbins Hood of the high seas, with the Royal Navy as the corrupt Sheriffs of Nottingham and the “evil pirates” who may or may not be undead as an additional antagonist. It’s certainly possible that they did mean they wanted to play an “evil campaign” where they raid and pillage innocent traders, but if Pirates of the Caribbean was the one example they gave you of what they were looking for, I think that’s unlikely. You should ask them though, I’m only guessing.
The problem is I like and want a long, long "rags to riches" style game that is HARD. And I'm not a Buddy DM that is a fan of the players. They get no help from me during the game. And I expect a huge level of simulation.
Ok, well your players seem to want a cool secret agent or pirate game, so chances are someone is going to be having a bad time unless a compromise can be reached.
Now my Spelljammer game is made up of players like them. The big difference is that they really, really, really wanted to play in a Spelljammer game(and still do). So in game one they get into a ship fight...and loose badly with half the characters dying. What is left of their ship crashes on a moon and they have near nothing. Now THIS is the point where a lot of casual players will storm out of my game: they "lost" so they will take their dice and go home.

They try and fix their ship enough to take off, with two new 'moon' characters...but I run a hard core resource game. And it's a wild moon with no magic shops. Then their foes come after them and they are captured. They escape...and get the clever idea to take the foes ship. Lots of fighting...but they win and scrap the other ship to just barley make their ship spaceworthy. And spend the next game limping around space, hiding and trying to fix the ship.

Few casual gamers would stick with the above game. As soon as they lost the fight they would have just complained, told me i'm a bad dm and ran away. But my Spelljammer group stuck with it as they WANTED to...so they could take the good and bad. This group does not have that drive.
Do you know they don’t have that drive because you’ve actually asked them if they would be interested in such a game and they told you no? If so, you already know they don’t want to play in that kind of game, so unless you’re willing to run a different kind of game for them, you and they will probably both be better off looking for other people to play with who’s interests are better aligned with each others’. If not, you should ask them. Maybe they’ll surprise you, and if not, at least you’ll know.
My point is more they said they wanted a "pirate game" not a "swashbuckling treasure hunt".
Is this the part where you start calling them clueless or liars? You seem to be the only one who’s confused about what “pirate game” typically means to people.
That sounds like a show to check out....that I've never heard of.
Yeah, check it out. Though, heads up, there’s a good chance your reaction is going to be “should have been called swashbucklers of dark water.”
That sounds like Swashbucklers of the Caribbean to me.......
Ok, well the title is Pirates of the Caribbean, it’s solidly within the “pirate movie” genre, and it’s the one example your players have given you of what “cool, fun pirate stuff” looks like to them. So, you should probably watch it (again, at least the first three, more if you’re so inclined) if you want to understand where their interests lie. You can grumble about the title all you want, it won’t change the fact that, that’s the kind of thing your players meant when they said “pirate game.”

I mean, D&D characters are usually the protagonists, which in pirate media usually means they’re the “good pirates” - the Robbins Hood of the high seas, with the Royal Navy as the corrupt Sheriffs of Nottingham and the “evil pirates” who may or may not be undead as an additional antagonist. It’s certainly possible that they did mean they wanted to play an “evil campaign” where they raid and pillage innocent traders, but if Pirates of the Caribbean was the one example they gave you of what they were looking for, I think that’s unlikely. You should ask them though, I’m only guessing.
See this is another disconnect I did not think of. There are "good" pirates: they are called Privateers, or something like Freebooters. But not "good pirates" . You don't say Robin Hood is a good criminal (though he is). You don't say Luke Skywalker is a good criminal (though he is).

I can be almost 100% sure they were not thinking of being evil characters.

You seem to be the only one who’s confused about what “pirate game” typically means to people.
And that is why this thread exists.

Maybe I know too much REAL history. Real pirates did things really bad.....that can't be typed. A least example is how Blackbeard would occasionally shoot and kill a guy if he was loosing at cards. To "keep his men on their toes" he said. He even did it to his first mate, but in the knee, so he did not die just had to limp for life.

This is the insight I was looking for though. Like I said I see things very differently then many other people.

Yeah. Now, salted fish was a valuable standard of the day, but pickled fish wasn't nearly as valuable, due to its greater weight and more localized markets.
A historical campaign is a lot more interesting when the DM is knowledgeable about the subject matter!

But I'm pretty sure players would say "we would like to play a history-based campaign" if that was what they wanted.

Last edited:

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
See this is another disconnect I did not think of. There are "good" pirates: they are called Privateers, or something like Freebooters. But not "good pirates" . You don't say Robin Hood is a good criminal (though he is). You don't say Luke Skywalker is a good criminal (though he is).

I can be almost 100% sure they were not thinking of being evil characters.

And that is why this thread exists.

Maybe I know too much REAL history. Real pirates did things really bad.....that can't be typed.
No, plenty of us are well aware of what real pirates were like. We just don’t let that get in the way of enjoying fantasy fiction or games about the romanticized version of pirates portrayed in media.

I suspect the problem is not that you know the history, but that you are very, very literal.

See this is another disconnect I did not think of. There are "good" pirates: they are called Privateers, or something like Freebooters.
Have you read Treasure Island? Long John Silver is not a "good" pirate, but he is still a charismatic character who becomes a surrogate father to the protagonist, who is not actually a pirate at all. Pirates of the Caribbean is much the same: the protagonist is Elizabeth Swan, a non-pirate. Jack Sparrow is a DMPC who is pretty much the poster boy for Chaotic Neutral, betraying everyone at every turn, either for his own advantage or just to make trouble.

But In D&D, it's up to the players to decide if they are vigilante heroes, murderous blackguards, or innocents caught up in things. That's not the DM's call (although you can probably get a clue from what they write in the alignment box on their character sheet).

But it's a positive advantage if you players haven't read Treasure Island* et al, since it means you can freely steal the plots without anyone being any the wiser - it's what a pirate would do.

*Hardly surprising, give it's length and Victorian prose style make it much more difficult than modern children's literature, although in other respects it stands up better than some stuff written in the 70s and 80s.

Last edited:

To be fair, bloodtide did say they asked the players this, and their answers were that they couldn’t think of anything, apart from confirming that they’d seen “some” 007 and Jason Borne, and Pirates of the Caribbean.

Which to me basically says they’re only very casually familiar with either genre, so your best bet is to go as trope-y as possible.
Often that’s a good thing, as you can steal plot lines, characters and twists from movies without the players catching on.

Remove ads