D&D 5E Tankiest 5th-level PC

Barolo

First Post
Thanks for the ideas, all - and keep 'em coming. This is an interesting read.

I am now leaning toward light or no armor because of the swamp (good idea) and the gauntlets of ogre power is also a good call so I can dump Strength and put some points somewhere else.

Is everyone more or less in agreement that variant human is the way to go here?

It is just easier to optimize for such lower levels by having that extra first level feat. But some other tank setups would welcome different races. Hill dwarves add a nice amount of HPs to any option, while mountain dwarves add some armor proficiencies (if you would play a class that has no armor proficiencies at all, this could save you two feats, or one when compared to variant human).

If you liked the idea of lighter armor, an abjurer can be a good contender. You can make good use of the gauntlets plus booming blade on your staff (or simply pick a magic weapon) to stay on melee, and keep refreshing your ward when it gets low by using shield or counterspell. This strategy gives you ok-ish AC (mage armor + 3 dex = 16) that you will not depend on during the initial combat phase as you start with your ward full. When it lowers, you will be using shield, for an AC 21. Other useful spells are the ones that move enemies or create chokes/difficult terrain, etc, to put your enemies where you want them (i.e. away from your allies).

You could also go full warlock, if you enjoy those annoying armor of Agathis tactics I described earlier. In this case you would abuse of temporary HPs that you can refresh easily. You can go fiend to get those temp HPs when your armor is over, and choose tome pact for shillelagh + booming or green flame blade (despite the name, I guess these cantrips are not limited to actual blades, right?) + blade ward. Now you will have 15 HP armor of Agathys twice per short rest, that you can improve it to effective 30 HPs by using blade ward every round. Pick warcaster and sentinel as feats (variant human again...). You go to the face of your enemies. If they attack an adjacent ally, reaction cantrip them, if they disengage, the same. Anyhow, any time you hit, you stop them, so they will have a hard time fleeing from you. If they attack you, 15 DMG retaliation from Agathys. They won't have many options. Moreover, your attack attribute is CHA, so you are not MAD at all. Thinking of it again, I guess sentinel and booming blade don't really mix well, so maybe in this case green flame is the better option. Top up everything with some repelling eldritch blast for control when enemies are not even willing to come closer, and you're golden.

By the way, wands of web and staffs of the python are only uncommon, so I would say they are nice options for tanky spellcasters. The web helps control the battlefield, and the python is extra HPs + grapple / constriction.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Tank abilities for level 5:

Rage
Monk ki dodge
Shield spell
Second wind
Parry battle master maneuver
Blur spell
Cleric with healing spells loaded up

Babrbarian rage is probably the best with sword and shield. Especially if you have healers behind you.

Human barbarian with 14 str 14 dex and 16 con with whatever feat you like. There's lots of good ones.
Then just level up as barbarian and choose bear totem.

post level 5 consider multi class to monk for bonus action dodge and eventually getting stunning strike.

akr71

Hero
Is everyone more or less in agreement that variant human is the way to go here?
Assuming you do at least 4 levels of barbarian, you would be able to grab 2 feats, or 1 feat and 1 ASI (+2 to one, or +1 to two abilities) along with the original +1 to two different abilities. If you take the gauntlets, I can't see any reason to go with anything other than v.human - well, other than thematic/role-play reasons...

Barolo

First Post
Tank abilities for level 5:
(...)
Babrbarian rage is probably the best with sword and shield. Especially if you have healers behind you.

Human barbarian with 14 str 14 dex and 16 con with whatever feat you like. There's lots of good ones.
Then just level up as barbarian and choose bear totem.

post level 5 consider multi class to monk for bonus action dodge and eventually getting stunning strike.

Alternatively, you can go mountain dwarf, starting with 17 str & con and 14 dex, increasing str & con to 18 with the 4th level ABI. Or you can even dump str, taking the gauntlet, and going hill dwarf with starting 15 dex and 17 con, going 16 dex and 18 con at 4th level. The second option gives you unarmored AC of 19 if wielding a shield, and you also benefit from hill dwarf's extra HPs. The first option has 18 AC and 5 HP less, but saves up your magic item.

Plenty of options, really. Would you like to narrow them down to something more of your enjoyment?

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Alternatively, you can go mountain dwarf, starting with 17 str & con and 14 dex, increasing str & con to 18 with the 4th level ABI. Or you can even dump str, taking the gauntlet, and going hill dwarf with starting 15 dex and 17 con, going 16 dex and 18 con at 4th level. The second option gives you unarmored AC of 19 if wielding a shield, and you also benefit from hill dwarf's extra HPs. The first option has 18 AC and 5 HP less, but saves up your magic item.

Plenty of options, really. Would you like to narrow them down to something more of your enjoyment?

Sure, I will start narrowing down the possibilities once I'm off work in a few hours.

mellored

Legend
Human EK4/warlock 1, with heavy armor mastery, inspiring leader, and the shield spell.

Use booming blade with unarmed attacks for damage and to keep your hand free to cast shield.

Barolo

First Post
Human EK4/warlock 1, with heavy armor mastery, inspiring leader, and the shield spell.

Use booming blade with unarmed attacks for damage and to keep your hand free to cast shield.

Booming blade was mentioned several times, and it is good to point out that this spell also punishes your enemy from trying to move away from you, so it is an added feature to help you tank.

I was thinking, you could actually build a funny variant human barbarian 1 / rogue 4 (str 14 dex 16 con 16). You will have a nice unarmored AC of 18 wielding a shield, strong attack of opportunity because of sneak attack, and rage damage reduction. Use your feat for sentinel, to expand your chances of getting this attack of opportunity. You also have an ABI that you can use to up con to 18 (AC 19 + extra HPs) or tough feat for even more HPs. You can also go barb 4 (bear totem) / rogue 1. This variant gives you extra damage resistances but weaker sneak attack.

Rogue levels might be handful in other combinations for expertise in athletics and extra damage on your opportunity attack. Also, the cunning action is always awesome.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
I might suggest swapping Inspiring Leader for Warcaster. What's better than Booming Blade? Booming Blade as an OA.

Remove ads