Targeting Held item with a power

noretoc

First Post
The psionic power Energy Missile has targets listed as "creatures or items". It works like a magic missile, always hitting. Can this be used to target items being held by other, like thier weapons?

UltimaGabe

First Post
Hmm... that's a good question. As far as I understand, Magic Missile specfically does not work on objects because if it did, it would be WAY too easy to sunder weapons- particularly at low levels. I wonder if that was an oversight or an intent.

In any case, I've never been a fan of psionics.

BlackFiend

First Post
You can attack in such a fashion...but it still follows the rules of sundering. Meaning, it requires a melee attack.

The only time this gets trumped is if the item/spell/feat/power specifically states that it can be used to for a ranged sunder.

Its no different than a giant tossing rock to smash a fighter's shield, or a ranger targetting the holy symbol of an enemy cleric with an arrow. It can't be done unless its specifically has an ability that allows them to do so.

noretoc

First Post
BlackFiend said:
You can attack in such a fashion...but it still follows the rules of sundering. Meaning, it requires a melee attack.

The only time this gets trumped is if the item/spell/feat/power specifically states that it can be used to for a ranged sunder.

Its no different than a giant tossing rock to smash a fighter's shield, or a ranger targetting the holy symbol of an enemy cleric with an arrow. It can't be done unless its specifically has an ability that allows them to do so.

That sound reasonable. Yea, the missile is sonic, so it would ignore hardness, makign it way too easy to leave opponents weaponless. Thanks for the opinion.

noretoc

First Post
I saw that, but that dosen't mean you cant do it with something else. I think it is silly to tell someone it cant be done, because there is no apparent rule for it. IE. I scratch my nose. "Sorry, but it says here you can only make a called shot to a head, not a nose"

Exageration mine.

Infiniti2000

First Post
BlackFiend said:

I don't agree. Attacking with a spell has zero correlation with sundering unless the item/spell/feat/power specifically states that it does. e.g. rolling a 1 for a save on a fireball.

As written, I don't see anything precluding you from targeting a number of your opponent's items with energy missile. Figuring out which energy type ignores hardness is an exercise left to the reader. ;)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Infiniti2000 said:
As written, I don't see anything precluding you from targeting a number of your opponent's items with energy missile. Figuring out which energy type ignores hardness is an exercise left to the reader. ;)

In the case of Energy Missile, not so much.

Sonic: A missile of this energy type deals -1 point of damage per die and ignores an object’s hardness.

-Hyp.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Maybe not a hard exercise for the case in point (sonic), but I was jokingly referring to the past confusion from the FAQ, not to mention the vulnerability caveat (and the ineffective weapon caveat, which doesn't apply here since this power is not even a weapon-like spell). :)

Kat'

First Post
noretoc said:
The psionic power Energy Missile has targets listed as "creatures or items". It works like a magic missile, always hitting. Can this be used to target items being held by other, like thier weapons?

Yes. Though if the power requires a RTA, I would make it more difficult to strike at an item held by the owner... dunno, maybe -2 for shield or armor, -4 for weapon, something like that.

Remove ads