D&D 5E Tasha's really improved and changed the feel of Rangers

No since Tasha's they can change their fighting style and choose a different fighting style every timethey get an ASI, which means they can change to a different fighting style 8 times over 18 levels and have many more fighting styles to choose from.

This is what makes them more flexible as martials with weapons.

I am not considering spells when I say this and that is a different discussion as spellcasters are more versatile than non-spell casters across the board. In this case I would agree Ranger spells bring versatility to the hand-to-hand combat I don't really think Paladin spells bring more versatility, although they do bring more power.
That's not flexibility. Flexibility is being able to respond to situations as they arise

clearstream

(He, Him)
This is not true.

The PHB rules state spells with verbal components "require the chanting of mystic words ...... with specific pitch and resonance"

That means technically they must be out loud, if not there is no pitch. Further the rules go on to say you can't cast these while gagged or in an area of silence. If they did not need to be out loud, the silence would presumably have no effect.
I suppose there can be a question of how carrying, as another poster pointed out. Can I murmur at a similar level to the snap of a crossbow? Or must I project loudly?

I don't see why ranger magic should require the latter, but I do agree that it must be perceptible so fails the test for silence to remain hidden.

@Charlaquin's spell-less ranger could well have an advantage here.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
The issue is many people miss the point when they say "rangers wouldn't casts loud spells. That would reveal their location."

Ranger is the Tracker class.

The ranger is several yards away when tailing someone. Far enough away that if they cast spells, it is lost in the nose of the wild. And they have spells like speak with animals, speak with plants, beast sense, etc, etc. And older edition rangers had spells that made tracks glow or reappear, move underground, glide, vineswing, and teleport through trees.

That's the point. Rangers aren't supposed to need to be close by to follow you. So they can cast all the spells they want.

ECMO3

Hero
That's not flexibility. Flexibility is being able to respond to situations as they arise
Yeah, you find a staff of striking, so at your next ASI you switch from archery to great weapon fighting.

Or you know will be fighting a flying opponent so at your next ASI you switch from Archery to superior technique and take trip attack so you can knock him out of the air on a hit.

Ranger or Paladin could not do either of these things.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Yeah, you find a staff of striking, so at your next ASI you switch from archery to great weapon fighting.

Or you know will be fighting a flying opponent so at your next ASI you switch from Archery to superior technique and take trip attack so you can knock him out of the air on a hit.

Ranger or Paladin could not do either of these things.
That's campaign flexibility. Not encounter or adventure flexibility.

Campaign level flexibilty is rarely spoken of because players can't control item drops nor enemies.

Remove ads