D&D 5E TCOE: Is reskinning your origin allowed by RAW?

Does origin customization RAW let you reskin existing races (keeping stats the same)?

• Poll closed .

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Exactly what it says on the tin. Do the customizable origin rules allow players to choose the aesthetic appearance and cultural details of their character, completely independent of the mechanics involved? (Possible exception for different sizes, since I recognize that's more difficult to square.)

So, for example, if someone wanted to play an elf mechanically, but look like a tiefling aesthetically, do the rules as written in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything support such a thing? Or perhaps looking like a dragonborn, but having the statistics of a half-orc or half-elf or something.

Again, just to be completely clear, I am asking if the rules-as-written specifically permit a situation like "I'm playing an earth genasi mechanically, but thematically my character is a dwarf." Obviously, if your DM is on board, you can do whatever the heck you like, and if your DM vetoes it, the point is moot. I'm just curious what people think about this, since the rules text seems open to either answer.

Larnievc

Hero
I wouldn’t have a problem with it. It’s just a name change. Pretty much what was going on with Carrot from disk world. He was a dwarf.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Strictly RAW, "customizing your origin" allows you to:

Float your ASIs
Choose what languages you know (racial language is not required, nor is common)
Swap Proficiencies
*Personality (technically, you always had complete freedom of personality--it is your PC after all)

All the other racial traits (e.g. Fey Ancestry for Elf, Lucky for Halfling) remain. With TCoE, those racial traits (along with age, etc.) are now what really is defining a race. So, no, you cannot look like a dragonborn, but be an half-orc or half-elf.

Cosmetically, I suppose a short, stout human might be mistaken for a dwarf, etc. but that is just cosmetic, and "looking" like a dragonborn while being an half-orc would require quite a story to justify why you look so different from the norm of your race (half-orc).

As a DM, to this extent I am "ok" with it (I don't like it, but I wouldn't prevent a player from using it).

What I will not permit is Custom Lineage--horrible idea.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
The rules text doesn't address the question as far as I can see. It covers changing various properties of your chosen race, and provides a simple system for creating a completely custom origin, but says nothing about using the mechanics of one race while playing another.
This.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I wouldn’t have a problem with it. It’s just a name change. Pretty much what was going on with Carrot from disk world. He was a dwarf.
I have to disagree: he was a human adopted by dwarves.

He won't live as long, have the same Dwarven Resilience, etc. IMO which most table attribute to biology if this concept was brought to D&D.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
If we're talking just customizing how your character looks while maintaining your identity as a specific race... you can do whatever the heck you want.

You can invent being "cursed" in your background to now look like a different race if you want. You can have a mixed-race ancestor that has produced you looking like one race while having the stats of another. Heck... I believe in Hoard of the Dragon Queen there is a background Bond that new PCs can select that says you are actually a dragon that has been stuck in humanoid form:

10. You have a secret. You once were a gold dragon who served Bahamut. You were too proud and vain, to the point that Bahamut decided to teach you a lesson. You have been trapped in a weak, humanoid body, with your memories of your former life but a dim shadow. You remember only one thing with perfect clarity: Bahamut’s command to go into the world and prove your devotion to the cause of good. If you prove worthy, on your death you will return to his side in your true form.

I mean if the game itself allows you to basically state for your character you are really a dragon... you can pretty much say whatever you want about yourself. So long as the mechanics are run as-is.

Larnievc

Hero
I have to disagree: he was a human adopted by dwarves.

He won't live as long, have the same Dwarven Resilience, etc. IMO which most table attribute to biology if this concept was brought to D&D.
Yeah but you would not unbalance the game if you had dwarf stats for Carrot is the point I meant to make. The only real difference is that he would be a really tall character with dwarf stats.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Yeah but you would not unbalance the game if you had dwarf stats for Carrot is the point I meant to make. The only real difference is that he would be a really tall character with dwarf stats.
So, just make a really tall dwarf then. 🤷‍♂️

No, it wouldn't unbalance the game, but then you might as well throw races out the window and just let players pick from a list of traits and let them make whatever they want. That's fine if you want to do that, but frankly I don't and wouldn't play in a group that does--we just wouldn't work.

Ace

Adventurer
The rules text doesn't address the question as far as I can see. It covers changing various properties of your chosen race, and provides a simple system for creating a completely custom origin, but says nothing about using the mechanics of one race while playing another.
Exactly. This is the right way to do this IMO as it allows cool and unique mixes that make games fun for player and GM alike, this from a DM who usually runs human only games BTW. Besides appearance has nothing to do with mechanical game balance at all. All that matters about looks is that it is OK in the game world, as long as that is met, who cares?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases