• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Teaching English as second language, with RPGs

LucidFir

Villager
Hello,

I've read a lot of articles in various places about teaching with RPGs - however these articles assume the students in question are either native speakers or advanced learners.

I'm a teacher in Thailand, hoping to use RPGs with students.

\/\/\/
I have 1 hour per week with a number (my choice) of my least able students. They are aged 15-16. I wish to find some simple, rules light RPG with a straight forward modern setting with some access to the fantastic.
/\/\/\

Their level of English should be enough for them to understand the setting and become interested (or so I hope). They understand present tense, directions, objects, how to ask for things... I'll be gaining a far better understanding of their ability through trying this. I know my best students would benefit from and enjoy this, but it is my least able students that need the extra work. I really don't want to resort to having them read out loud whilst correcting mistakes, as that would be incredibly dull.

Any ideas welcome.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter

Remove ads