• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Team Crafting

Storme

First Post
I don't really understand the rules regarding help while crafting. But here's a scenario I was wondering would work.

Level 7 Wizard Craft Wand Feat.
Level 5 Wizard Metamagic Extend

The level 5 mage doesn't have Craft Wand and the level 7 doesn't have extend. Can these guys make a Wand of Extend Mage Armor working together? If so, can they add a third guy with...say...Empower to add to the mix?

Storme

Last edited:

WarShrike

First Post
As has been writen in the DMG, a crafter that doesnt have the spell needed for an item he is creating can hire an NPC to cast it for him, so in my opinion, yes, that would work for the Extend. The cost would be higher as the Extended spell would have a higher "base level". However, the Empower part i dont see working. Just having the empower Metamagic feat doesnt allow for it to be added to items. For it to work, it would require the caster of the spell to both Empower AND Extend the spell when cast (making the base level even higher).

Hope tthis helps.

WarShrike

wargear

First Post
I would argue differently. Several magi working in concert to craft an item of power is classic in many pieces of literature.

I have in the past even allowed priests, elves, druids, wizards and assassins to join forces to craft items of mighty art.

There is no reason to not allow it, unless it grossly interferes with the needs of the campaign. Allowing the pcs to create items that can easily be removed from them, and which greatly slows the advancement of the party mage, is allways a good thing in my book.

Delta

First Post
Sure that's possible. From the SRD:

It is possible for more than one character to cooperate in the creation of an item, with each participant providing one or more of the prerequisites. In some cases, cooperation may even be necessary.

If two or more characters cooperate to create an item, they must agree among themselves who will be considered the creator for the purpose of determinations where the creator’s level must be known. The character designated as the creator pays the XP required to make the item.

In this example, each wizard is contributing a feat needed for the item in question. Add in someone else with an Empower, no problem. Note these details:
(1) Someone has to know mage armor.
(2) Someone has to be high enough level for the total adjusted spell level.
(3) One single person must be chosen to pay the XP costs (by rules as written).

Storme said:
The level 5 mage doesn't have Craft Wand and the level 7 doesn't have extend. Can these guys make a Wand of Extend Mage Armor working together? If so, can they add a third guy with...say...Empower to add to the mix?

That depends.

In order to craft a wand, there are two prerequisites: the Craft Wand feat and the spell of which you are making the wand.

Accordingly, my reading is that if you want to make a wand of Extended Mage Armor, the spell you need to have is Extended Mage Armor.

If you want to make a wand of Extended, Empowered* Mage Armor, the spell you need to have is Extended, Empowered Mage Armor.

If no one is capable of casting that particular spell, then you can't create a wand of that spell. So, the people above could create a wand of Extended Mage Armor or wand of Empowered Mage Armor, but they could not create a wand of Extended, Empowered Mage Armor because no one is capable of casting that particular spell.

* Note that Empowered is a bad example here, since you can't Empower Mage Armor; it has no variable effects to empower.

Remove ads