D&D General Technology in D&D, the IRL Timeline, and Pausing It.

Yaarel

He Mage
I have, but I don't believe it was a great influence on my fantasy world view. I prefer to start with real history (to the best of my understanding of it at the time) and deviate from there contextually. Gunpowder weaponry existed alongside many items in D&D for quite a while historically, do it does the same in my games unless I have a good reason why not. Removing it for otherwise unexplained asthetic reasons does not work for me, particularly as I like the asthetic.
I do similar, while striving for mythological accuracy, and try to have two or three different cultures interacting.

I treat gun powder as bullets that deal 1d8 piercing damage, like arrows, and in both cases a fatal shot can only happen when reaching zero hit points. Until then there is only fatigue and grazing. For explosions, I use spell mechanics.

Hypothetically, a bullet would pierce metal armor, but 5e mechanics dont distinguish between different kinds of armor anyway, so theres no need to give bullets special mechanics.

Laurefindel

Legend
The fact that women can use magic just as well as men means that, at least among the elite, women are much closer to equal if not actually equal. After all, it's much harder to oppress people when they can cast a 15' cone of fire.

If we run with that... the society overall should be more equal because the lower classes tend to reflect the upper classes more than the other way around.
I wish I could I agree, but even in our world where women are as intelligent, as knowledgeable, as numerous in higher education, as exposed/available to firearms, etc., we're still struggling to have gender equality/equity. Alas, people being "just as capable" is not enough to make it fair for all. Women may be as capable of wielding deadly magic but in a world where women do not have equal access to learning magic, you'll still have social injustice no matter how capable those women could be given the chance.

My D&D worlds have much better gender equity than ours but that's only because I choose to include that, and then find reasons to support that. And that's where I tie in with the OP; the game world is stuck in medieval/renaissance-level of technology because I choose to. Then, it's relatively easy to find reasons for it. And when reasons fail, then I can find excuses for it.

Ultimately, most reasons/excuses for lack of progress (technological or cultural) boils down to one thing: people can be real jerks sometimes.

Yaarel

He Mage
Why would he spend 500 years working on something he didn't know could exist? Hardly likely at all. Especially since strong non-rusting metals already exist. Like Mithral. Or, FAR more likely he spends 2 years working on a rust preventative spell.
I consider mithril to require the same kind of advanced technology and secretive formulas that steel does.

With regard to elven chain armor, it is a Mage Armor spell variant whose artistic esthetic appears as mithril.

Yaarel

He Mage
For the record, we know humans built the pyramids. We found the tombs of the workers who built them, who were proud of their work, and who described in detail how they did it, on their tomb walls.

They dragged the huge stones across an artificial mountain of sand. When they were done, they swept away the sand. Many of the amazing monumental structures employed this technique.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I don't like most in-universe arguments for not having gunpowder in the setting. But I'm usually more than happy to accept "it doesn't fit this setting's aesthetic" as a perfectly cromulent reason to not have any.
The funny thing is, often no explanation is offered at all in published works.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I do similar, while striving for mythological accuracy, and try to have two or three different cultures interacting.

I treat gun powder as bullets that deal 1d8 piercing damage, like arrows, and in both cases a fatal shot can only happen when reaching zero hit points. Until then there is only fatigue and grazing. For explosions, I use spell mechanics.

Hypothetically, a bullet would pierce metal armor, but 5e mechanics dont distinguish between different kinds of armor anyway, so theres no need to give bullets special mechanics.
My rules are quite a bit more involved, but that really is a personal choice. I have no doubt your way works at least as well as mine.

Ixal

Hero
My point is that engineering suffered a regression during this period. And since we are the global stage, while Asia advanced steadily during this time their lack of communication with west did nothing to advance western science. You have to look at regional, not global or even continental advances. And just because an advance was made doesn't mean it can't be lost to be rediscovered. Going back to Rome... When the Superdome was built and had that super cool retractable roof, it was touted as an engineering wonder.... until it was pointed out that the Roman Coliseum had one too. Out of sight does in fact equal out of mind in some cases.

The Dark Ages were incredibly backward through most of the period. One reason for a lack of Roman ruins in Italy is they were torn down and repurposed. Much like the castles of Britain after the Renaissance. (and this is a general statement not an all inclusive, of course there were exceptions. But they were exceptions.) And yes agriculture advanced because the Feudal system required it for sustainment. Forced labor in exchange for minimal protection. It's a wonder there weren't more King Vinny's or King Guido's.. lol
Monumental prestige buildings suffered a regression, in other parts engineering continued to advance. And you don't have to look to Asia, just look at Byzantium (at that time being called the Romans, because they were).

Yaarel

He Mage
Monumental prestige buildings suffered a regression, in other parts engineering continued to advance. And you don't have to look to Asia, just look at Byzantium (at that time being called the Romans, because they were).
In the case of Byzantine archeology, the rougher, less polished, more relaxed chracteristics appear to be an artistic style fashion choice, rather than a technological limitation.

There is the impression that the Byzantine Period felt the Roman Period was too uptight (literally).

Yaarel

He Mage
The same armor class system that would give bullets a special benefit would make medieval rapiers useless, make chain vitually immune to slashing damage, and so on. The armor mechanics would be a magnitude more complex.

For 5e, the armor oversimplification can be a virtue.

Remove ads