Telekinesis

SolidSnake

First Post
IMO, the psion is supposed to have the advantage of being adaptable to nearly any situation with a limited number of "tricks" he has per day, whereas the wizard is has to plan what he will require to get through the day's events but has many more "tricks" to choose from. This, to me, sounds like the psion should be more flexible than the wizard with his powers on any given day. What I mean to say is that the psion should be able to do a lot with the few powers he knows (look at the energy powers for a frame of reference). This is why I don't understand why Telekinesis was fragmented for the psion.

Here is what I am talking about...

Wizard Telekinesis:
Telekinesis
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 5
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Target or Targets: See text
Duration: Concentration (up to 1 round/ level) or instantaneous; see text
Saving Throw: Will negates (object) or None; see text
Spell Resistance: Yes (object); see text
You move objects or creatures by concentrating on them. Depending on the version selected, the spell can provide a gentle, sustained force, perform a variety of combat maneuvers, or exert a single short, violent thrust.
Sustained Force: A sustained force moves an object weighing no more than 25 pounds per caster level (maximum 375 pounds at 15th level) up to 20 feet per round. A creature can negate the effect on an object it possesses with a successful Will save or with spell resistance.
This version of the spell can last 1 round per caster level, but it ends if you cease concentration. The weight can be moved vertically, horizontally, or in both directions. An object cannot be moved beyond your range. The spell ends if the object is forced beyond the range. If you cease concentration for any reason, the object falls or stops.
An object can be telekinetically manipulated as if with one hand. For example, a lever or rope can be pulled, a key can be turned, an object rotated, and so on, if the force required is within the weight limitation. You might even be able to untie simple knots, though delicate activities such as these require Intelligence checks.
Combat Maneuver: Alternatively, once per round, you can use telekinesis to perform a bull rush, disarm, grapple (including pin), or trip. Resolve these attempts as normal, except that they don’t provoke attacks of opportunity, you use your caster level in place of your base attack bonus (for disarm and grapple), you use your Intelligence modifier (if a wizard) or Charisma modifier (if a sorcerer) in place of your Strength or Dexterity modifier, and a failed attempt doesn’t allow a reactive attempt by the target (such as for disarm or trip). No save is allowed against these attempts, but spell resistance applies normally. This version of the spell can last 1 round per caster level, but it ends if you cease concentration.
Violent Thrust: Alternatively, the spell energy can be spent in a single round. You can hurl one object or creature per caster level (maximum 15) that are within range and all within 10 feet of each other toward any target within 10 feet per level of all the objects. You can hurl up to a total weight of 25 pounds per caster level (maximum 375 pounds at 15th level).
You must succeed on attack rolls (one per creature or object thrown) to hit the target with the items, using your base attack bonus + your Intelligence modifier (if a wizard) or Charisma modifier (if a sorcerer). Weapons cause standard damage (with no Strength bonus; note that arrows or bolts deal damage as daggers of their size when used in this manner). Other objects cause damage ranging from 1 point per 25 pounds (for less dangerous objects) to 1d6 points of damage per 25 pounds (for hard, dense objects).
Creatures who fall within the weight capacity of the spell can be hurled, but they are allowed Will saves (and spell resistance) to negate the effect, as are those whose held possessions are targeted by the spell. If a telekinesed creature is hurled against a solid surface, it takes damage as if it had fallen 10 feet (1d6 points).

The psion has to take 3 separate powers to do this...Telekinetic Thurst, Telekinetic Force, Telekinetic Maneuver.

Psion Powers:
Telekinetic Force
Psychokinesis [Force]
Level: Psion/wilder 3
Display: Visual
Manifesting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./ level)
Target: One object at a time
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Will negates (object); see text
Power Resistance: Yes (object)
Power Points: 5
You move an object by concentrating your mind upon its current location and then the location you desire, creating a sustained force. You can move an object weighing no more than 250 pounds up to 20 feet per round. A creature can negate the effect on an object it possesses with a successful Will save or with power resistance. The weight can be moved across the ground or through the air. This power ends if the object is forced out of range. If you cease concentration, the object falls or stops.
You can drop a weight and pick up another during the power’s duration, as long as you don’t stop concentrating on maintaining the power. An object can be telekinetically manipulated as if you were moving it with one hand.
If you spend at least 5 rounds concentrating on an unattended object, you can attempt to break or burst it as if making a Strength check, except that you apply your key ability modifier to the check instead of your Strength modifier.
Augment: For every additional power point you spend, the weight limit of the target increases by 25 pounds.

Telekinetic Maneuver
Psychokinesis [Force]
Level: Psion/wilder 4
Target: One creature
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 round/level
Saving Throw: None
Power Resistance: Yes
Power Points: 7
You can affect a foe by concentrating your mind upon its current status and the status you desire, once per round. You can perform a bull rush, a disarm, a grapple (including a pin), or a trip. Resolve these attempts as normal, except that they don’t provoke attacks of opportunity, you use your manifester level in place of your base attack bonus (for disarm and grapple attempts), you use your Intelligence modifier in place of your Strength modifier or Dexterity modifier, and a failed attempt doesn’t allow a reactive attempt by the target (such as normally allowed on disarm or trip attempts). No save is allowed against these attempts, but power resistance applies normally.
Augment: For every 2 additional power points you spend, this power grants a +1 bonus on your checks involving bull rush, disarm, grapple, or trip attempts.

Telekinetic Thrust
Psychokinesis
Level: Psion/wilder 3
Target or Targets: One or more objects or creatures with a total weight of 250 lb. or less
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will negates or Will negates (object); see text
Power Resistance: Yes or Yes (object); see text
Power Points: 5
You can affect one or more objects or creatures by concentrating your mind upon, sending them in a deadly hail at your foes—or simply by hurling your foe! You can hurl one object or creature per manifester level (maximum fifteen separate targets), as long as all are within the power’s range and each is no more than 10 feet away from another one. Each object or creature can be hurled a maximum distance of 10 feet per level.
You must succeed on ranged attack rolls (one per creature or object thrown) to hit the target of the hurled items with the items, applying your Intelligence modifier to the attack roll instead of your Dexterity modifier. Hurled weapons deal their standard damage (your Strength bonus does not apply; arrows or bolts deal damage as daggers of their size when used in this manner). Other objects deal damage ranging from 1 point per 25 pounds of weight (for less dangerous objects such as an empty barrel) to 1d6 points per 25 pounds of weight (for hard, dense objects such as a boulder).
Creatures are allowed Will saves (and power resistance) to negate the effect, as are those whose held possessions are targeted by this power.
If you use this power to hurl a creature against a solid surface, it takes damage as if it had fallen 10 feet (1d6 points).
Augment: For every additional power point you spend, the weight limit of the target or targets increases by 25 pounds.

The fact that the wizard has no limit to the number of spells he knows and the psion does, to me this seems like a bit harsh. However, I will conceed that the psion does get these nice little trinkets much earlier than the wizard (notice that they are level 3 and 4 powers). I propose the following however:

Beginning at level 3, the psion can take the power Telekinesis. He/She then has to choose either Thrust or Force. Upon gaining the ability to cast 4th level powers, the psions telekinetic control increases and he/she can add the opposing power to his/her repitoire (i.e. if they chose Thrust at 3rd, then they get Force at 4th and vice versa). Upon reaching a level to cast 5th level powers, the psion gains the "maneuver" option. This to me seems fair, as the psion doesn't have to spend precious power slots to learn what should be a single power and as he/she grows in strength, so too does his/her mastery of the power itself. What do you guys think?

SolidSnake

First Post
Nail said:
A: Because they are lower level powers.

Next!

Nail, I already conceeded this in the previous post...take another look ;) I'm questioning whether or not it is worth it to have the fragmented power for the tradeoff of getting it at a lower level.

Larith

First Post
Well, I think this is a reasonable solution, especially from a lore sense. I mean, it doesn't make sense for a wizard to have one spell that duplicates a number of psionic abilities, while the psion (the 'master of mind powers') has to spend three different potential powers for what the wizard gets with one spell.

I'd probably make a house rule similar to what you post above, where the power grows as time goes on, making it one power that starts at third level, and comes into full power when the psion can produce 5th level powers. I don't see a huge balancing issue with doing it this way, either, aside from giving your psion a little more flexibility with the powers he choses.

-L-

Gaiden

Explorer
There is already a template for this: augmentation.

The psion gets this already with many powers. Just have a house rule that makes the psion choose one of the three and with an augmentation to the next level power (in terms of PP's) he can use another of the abilities, and augmented to two levels higher (in terms again of PP cost) he can get the third ability.

SolidSnake

First Post
Gaiden said:
There is already a template for this: augmentation.

The psion gets this already with many powers. Just have a house rule that makes the psion choose one of the three and with an augmentation to the next level power (in terms of PP's) he can use another of the abilities, and augmented to two levels higher (in terms again of PP cost) he can get the third ability.

I'm not quite sure that I completely follow. Two of the three powers are 3rd level, only 1 is 4th so I don't know how augmentation would work. Could you give an example? That might elucidate what you are trying to say.

Gaiden

Explorer
Rap the power into one.

Choose either of the 3rd level powers and keep as is.

Then add:

Augment, for 2 pp's + base cost you may use the other 3rd level power.

For 4 pp's + base cost you may use the 4th level power.

This would effectively shift the other 3rd level power and the 4th level to a 5th level power.

However this seems to be more balanced relative to the wizard spell anyway.

You might just choose one of the 3rd level powers to autmatically be the augmented form so you just have one power and eliminate the other third level power and the 4th since they are already part of this new telekinesis with the special augmentation

SolidSnake

First Post
Gaiden said:
Rap the power into one.

Choose either of the 3rd level powers and keep as is.

Then add:

Augment, for 2 pp's + base cost you may use the other 3rd level power.

For 4 pp's + base cost you may use the 4th level power.

This would effectively shift the other 3rd level power and the 4th level to a 5th level power.

However this seems to be more balanced relative to the wizard spell anyway.

You might just choose one of the 3rd level powers to autmatically be the augmented form so you just have one power and eliminate the other third level power and the 4th since they are already part of this new telekinesis with the special augmentation

I see what you are saying. Alternitavely, you could just say that it works like the wizard version, only the spell is level 4th (much like the differences in flame strike between the cleric and the druid). And consequently when you pump in more PP's, you get the augmentations for all three so long as you concentrate.

Remove ads