D&D 5E Teleport /fly /misty step the bane of cool dungeon design is RAW in 5E

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Because, at least in 1 edition, I could do exactly that without having to do any house ruling or any futzing about with the mechanics. I could run any module, any adventure, and not have to worry about it.

It's been a long, long, time since I played 1e but I'm extremely skeptical of this comment. Most of the adventures I remember assumed a level of magic and especially a a level of healing that would be impossible without a mage AND a cleric in the party.

While I'm sure adventures existed that didn't require such, the "mainstream" adventures (such as T1-4 or the giants series) assumed you had mages and clerics in your party and success without them was extremely suspect without heavy houseruling.

I get what you're saying, but baseline D&D has always assumed a high level of magic, the big difference is that earlier editions concentrated the magic in fewer characters.

Sent from my SM-G930V using EN World mobile app

Hussar

Legend
It's been a long, long, time since I played 1e but I'm extremely skeptical of this comment. Most of the adventures I remember assumed a level of magic and especially a a level of healing that would be impossible without a mage AND a cleric in the party.

While I'm sure adventures existed that didn't require such, the "mainstream" adventures (such as T1-4 or the giants series) assumed you had mages and clerics in your party and success without them was extremely suspect without heavy houseruling.

I get what you're saying, but baseline D&D has always assumed a high level of magic, the big difference is that earlier editions concentrated the magic in fewer characters.

Sent from my SM-G930V using EN World mobile app

Sorry, wasn't clear. I meant 4e, not 1e.

And, again, it's a matter of level. In 1e, you'd see maybe 1 spell used in an encounter, at least up to about 5th or 6th level. The party just didn't have enough spells to use more than that.

In 5e, I'm seeing multiple spells being cast every single round of every single encounter by multiple PC's.

We've gone from a pretty rare magic system to a very ubiquitous magic system. And, for me, that has meant a pretty big change in how the game feels.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Sorry, wasn't clear. I meant 4e, not 1e.

And, again, it's a matter of level. In 1e, you'd see maybe 1 spell used in an encounter, at least up to about 5th or 6th level. The party just didn't have enough spells to use more than that.
Nod. Casters - well magic-users, Clerics/Druids got bonus spells based on WIS - started out with very few spells at very low level, but quickly got plenty as they leveled.

In 5e, I'm seeing multiple spells being cast every single round of every single encounter by multiple PC's.
Are you counting cantrips as spells?

I mean, there is a tendency to be able to cast spells every round in 5e if you're so enclined, because everyone casts spontaneously, so as long as you have even 1 spell prepared that is at all useful in the situation, you can blow a slot on it.
Such 'spamming' was a major advantage of the Sorcerer back in 3e, now everyone enjoys it. It means no spell slot is ever 'wasted' at the end of the day because you memorized a spell into it that you turned out never to need.
In effect, it's like having more slots.

We've gone from a pretty rare magic system to a very ubiquitous magic system. And, for me, that has meant a pretty big change in how the game feels.
Magic has always seemed ubiquitous out of the lowest levels. Magic items routinely showing up in treasure types. Casters being able to systematically use spells day after day. In 1e, there were spells with multi-day or permanent durations, so systematic casting could accomplish amusing things - cities lit by continual-light streetlights, for instance. ;)

Gwarok

Explorer
To the OP, I would say that trying to hold anyone that can actually teleport and use magic using "basic medieval obstacles" is going to be tough. Fact is, PC's are the badasses that a normal prison likely can't hold. Usually you're used to seeing them as NPC's in movies and shows and such, but PC's are happy to actually be those badasses. But if you are making a challenge for your PC's, you'll need use some magic. I gather you want to keep a normal medieval flair as much as possible, so I would suggest couching the magic used to hold the PC's in terms of holy Church stuff. It's what people have over the ages wanted from their churches anyways, protection from the warlocks and witches of the world :)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Honestly I dont give a :):):):) how long you have been playing or what awards you have won. And you still havent proven me wrong. Once again I never said anything about superheroes. What I said is that these powers are fine and if a dm cant make a cool dungeon because of them, its the dms fault. I would like to point out once again that I dont give one :):):):) about your little awards. Thank you and good day.

This is completely inappropriate. Please do not post again in this thread.

Remove ads