D&D 5E Teleport Houserule: Remove the Off-Target %distance

We need to nip this in the bud right now. The distance for being 'off-target' is not 1d10 x 10 miles. It is instead, 1d10 x 1d10 percent of the distance that was to be teleported. Therefore, if we tried to teleport 1 mile, then 1 mile is the maximum distance we can be off target. there is no 100-mile cap. If we tried to teleport 1,000 miles, then we could be off-target by 1,000 miles.

The spell already says a similar location (or something like that) so if the players are using a circle and don't get it right, the DM already can consider any unknown circle the DM wants to be the similar location. The inspiration is already there :)

Fanaelialae

Legend
Something to consider is that, assuming that the players suspect there's a teleportation circle in a certain vicinity that they want to go to (say the fortress of the BBEG, or the lost library of McGuffin) then rather than trying to discover the sigils for the circle, they could attempt a brute force "hack" of the circle using teleport. This interaction might not be desirable, depending on the DM.

"1d10 x 1d10 percent of the distance that was to be teleported" is not rocket science, and is well within the mathematical skills of most tables.

The main reason why D&D had to be simplified (imho) was for the flow of the game. At my table, teleportation mishaps and off-targets happen once per year. So I really don't care for the few minutes it takes to look up the rules (90% of the effort) and the rolls and calculation (10% of the effort).

A much larger challenge to the DM is where the heck the party ends up. No simplification of the math will help with that. I agree wholy with @Fanaelialae above here that making a party teleport into a circle will be abused quickly. And while any specification of where the party ends up will make it easier to the DM, it will also increase abuse. And that is why it is specified at least twice that the DM does the rolls (and can therefore fudge them to keep the game flowing or make the party pop into a location that does not disrupt the story too much).

Oofta

Legend
People should do what they think is most fun and if teleporting into a nearby circle is more fun, go for it.

I just don't see what it buys. If the party is teleporting into Castle McGuffin with this rule, I have to figure out where the nearest teleportation circle is. Maybe I thought of it ahead of time, maybe I didn't. If I didn't this new rule doesn't buy me anything, I still have to come up with a new location and decide how far away it is which is no different. It would actually be more work for me because teleportation circles are fairly rare and almost always kept secret. Unless abandoned, they are always guarded.

It also limits potential future narratives that could happen in Castle McGuffin. Maybe I have the people transported to a temple a few miles away but later on I want the advisor to the king to be a secret agent who has been using a secret teleportation circle in the basement. I can't do that now.

It's just as easy to roll the dice. If I want a special location then the BBEG has set up a teleportation trap that pulls people in, or perhaps the trap is in some old ruin that's been long forgotten. The latter is actually the easier because then I can sketch out a generic location that I may never use ahead of time. Make it a location that's going to take a bit of effort to escape and it gives me time to think about where it really is. Since teleportation is already a higher level spell, I can create a small dungeon and have a few options of populating it.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
We need to nip this in the bud right now. The distance for being 'off-target' is not 1d10 x 10 miles. It is instead, 1d10 x 1d10 percent of the distance that was to be teleported. Therefore, if we tried to teleport 1 mile, then 1 mile is the maximum distance we can be off target. there is no 100-mile cap. If we tried to teleport 1,000 miles, then we could be off-target by 1,000 miles.
That is the standard teleport rules, yes. Much of this discussion has been about a house rule suggestion that has a 100-mile off target cap. @dave2008 then suggested a house rule option to use 1d10x10 miles off target. I don't think anyone here is confused about the standard rule.

dave2008

Legend
I want to nip this in the bud right now. No one was suggesting the rule is 1d10 x 10 miles. The suggestion was that it could be 1d10 x 10 miles.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
The only sad thing about missing in "any direction" on a blown teleport is that those directions don't involve any elements of "up" or "down".

I mean, particularly if you're teleporting to the other side of the world, it should be possible to overshoot or undershoot by a few miles... :)

jgsugden

Legend
Another option that may not appeal to most DMs, but might appeal to some - Have a Deity/Power in your game that has a connection to wild magic or misuse of magic, If the spell is off target, that being decides where it wil redirect within a 100 mile range of the target location.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases