• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Teleportation at level 1

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
No, but it does say that if you're restrained or immobilised by something physical in nature that teleporting can end that.

Which seems to me pretty solidly saying "you get to choose what to take when you teleport".

One possible way for "dealing" with PCs who could potentially escape incarceration is to inform them that while their current crime(s) warrant a trial, escape will warrant a death sentence without trial.

IOW - sit tight or we kill you instead of capturing you next time.

Another possibility is "the crimes you are accused of are so heinous that you're in protective custody". Escape in this case is simply not in your best interests.

Give them 10 feet of chain to walk around in. Because if they can leave their square then technically they aren't immobilized.

I would just go with what I said earlier. Take the wrist and ankle bracelets and just weld them together with no chain in between. Try walking with no slack in the chain and try doing anything with your hands while your wrists are basically together and your arms are behind your back. You may be able to teleport but your aren't going very far by hopping or rolling on the floor.

mneme

Explorer
Give them 10 feet of chain to walk around in. Because if they can leave their square then technically they aren't immobilized.

I would just go with what I said earlier. Take the wrist and ankle bracelets and just weld them together with no chain in between. Try walking with no slack in the chain and try doing anything with your hands while your wrists are basically together and your arms are behind your back. You may be able to teleport but your aren't going very far by hopping or rolling on the floor.

Wow. That's just awful GMing. Talk about messing with the spirit of the rules.

If teleportation will let you escape being restrained, it lets you escape being restrained, period. Trying to get around this with semantic tricks is just unsporting.

The rules say what you escape when you teleport (anything physical) and what will stop you from teleporting (helplessness, magic, blocking LoS). It's easy to work within these constraints.

If there is a non-teleporting PC in the same cell, you can go all James Bondian death trap. The 'porter gets placed on a pressure sensitive plate. If the weight drops, a trapdoor starts to open underneath the other PC. If he T-ports away, it opens completely, dropping him into the shark tank and closing. Problem solved!

Variations of this include hanging, electrocuting, crushing deadweights and so forth.

Now that you've thoroughly screwed the party's best escape attempt, how long do you wait for the party to figure out another way out of the cell?

Actually, this is perfectly reasonable; there are plenty of solutions to the deathtrap hostage approach (double teleport, teleport/grab, disable the device and prevent the trap from going off; teleport up and land back on the plate before the trap is fully set off; etc). Wouldn't want to overuse it, of course; traps like this are expensive in drama points.

You could also have the captors keep their known teleporting captives in a completely dark cell (particularly if the captors have darkvision; but really, even if not. Escaping then revolves around making/finding a light source and using it to blaze a way out (sure, doesn't work if the PC is a wizard, but you can tie her up -and- put her in a dark cell. Or if there are two prisoners, one an OAssassin, one a non-teleporting wizard, escape revolves around them communicating without alerting the guards; could be fun).

Mika

First Post
As a side note, I don't think 4 ft hallways would prevent telportation - the "5 ft square" is an abstaction, and squeezing only happens when the hallway would be such that a person could not walk normally - for example, a human in a house with cielings which have headroom only for a small creature. Otherwise, look at your typical residential/office hallway - they aren't 5 ft wide - which by a strict definition of the "5 ft square" means that a person would need to "squeese" and inch themselves along in spaces that in fact easily allow two people to walk side by side.

Well -- A passage that is less than 2 1/2 feet wide is theoretically "impassable" to a Medium sized character who is squeezing, but I think that all but the most overweight among us could squeeze through a passageway as narrow as one foot in width. So if a 4 foot wide hallway won't work (on the grounds that you would round the square size up rather than down), make it 3 feet wide. You would not be able to imprison an ogre, but you should have no problem with a Small or Medium sized character.

In any case, the size of a 5 foot square is meant to accommodate a combatant swinging wildly at foes in all directions. People need a lot less room when they are not fighting. It should not be too difficult a matter to make prison corridors big enough to walk people through but too small for effective fighting -- and thus too small for teleportation into.

Jack99

Adventurer

Do people often walk out of your games?

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned

Nope....My people "love" to be challenged. If it becomes to easy and everything magically goes their way then they want to quit because the mystery and the challenge has gone.

My guys don't look at their character sheets and expect all their powers to be useful all the time.

We are just one of the many styles of gamers out in the world.

Jack99

Adventurer
Nope....My people "love" to be challenged. If it becomes to easy and everything magically goes their way then they want to quit because the mystery and the challenge has gone.

My guys don't look at their character sheets and expect all their powers to be useful all the time.

We are just one of the many styles of gamers out in the world.

It's fairly easy to challenge players while staying consistent and within the rules of the game. As a matter of fact, there are a huge number of suggestions in this thread on how to deal with the teleport issue, without having to resort to bending (breaking) the rules.

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
It's fairly easy to challenge players while staying consistent and within the rules of the game. As a matter of fact, there are a huge number of suggestions in this thread on how to deal with the teleport issue, without having to resort to bending (breaking) the rules.

My suggestion didn't break the rules, I just used them a little differently. My player's also know that I don't create impossible situations nor do I make them very easy.

It's what my player's prefer.

Jack99

Adventurer
My suggestion didn't break the rules, I just used them a little differently. My player's also know that I don't create impossible situations nor do I make them very easy.

It's what my player's prefer.

You are so not getting the point. Yes, you did bend the rules to suit you, instead of coming up with something within the rules to challenge your players. Which would have been easy.

If you still don't get it, read mneme's post again. I am not gonna bother typing it all out.

Cheers

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
You are so not getting the point. Yes, you did bend the rules to suit you, instead of coming up with something within the rules to challenge your players. Which would have been easy.

If you still don't get it, read mneme's post again. I am not gonna bother typing it all out.

Cheers

I get the point perfectly but you are not listening to what I am saying. Yes I read Mneme's post but it has nothing to do with my group, whom is the group that I play with and run games for.

My group enjoys this type of thing. You are basically trying to argue bad-wrong-fun here. You or your group may not like this style or use of the rules but my group does because they know that I don't make impossible situations, like I said before.

It's not bad form when this is the type of games my player's like and want.

Balesir

Adventurer
The actual quote from the power is:

<snip>

That is not an absolute bar to stat changes or changing movement modes.

While I probably wouldn't OK a significant stat boost (more than +2), I'd have no problem granting the different movement type based on the creature's natural abilities.
I would take that "normally" to mean that, unless they have some feat, item or other circumstance that changes the situation, the power itself does not change their attributes or movement modes.

I think the way I would handle it would be as a modifier: squeezing through prison bars is an Escape attempt. A changed shape may well alter the DC of that attempt, either by making it Moderate (or even easy) instead of Hard or simply by giving a +2 bonus, depending on the shape.

If there is a non-teleporting PC in the same cell, you can go all James Bondian death trap. The 'porter gets placed on a pressure sensitive plate. If the weight drops, a trapdoor starts to open underneath the other PC. If he T-ports away, it opens completely, dropping him into the shark tank and closing. Problem solved!

Variations of this include hanging, electrocuting, crushing deadweights and so forth.
Now that I quite like. All it really needs is an alarm sound.

Of course not! The players are all manacled to the game table, with a 10' length of chain so that they are, technically, not illegally restrained against their will ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads