D&D 5E Teleportation circles costs *how* much?!

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
While it's necroed, I think it's worth mentioning that the expense is now trivial providing you have a College of Creation Bard.
If you’re suggesting that the bard use Performance of Creation to make the chalk used for the material component, I don’t think that would work for making a permanent circle. I mean, I suppose by the letter of the rule, you only have to cast the spell in the same spot every day, so the chalk disappearing after 6 hours at the longest wouldn’t necessarily disrupt the creation of the permanent circle. But it seems to be against the spirit of the rule to me.

If you’re suggesting that the bard use Performance of Creation to make the chalk used for the material component, I don’t think that would work for making a permanent circle. I mean, I suppose by the letter of the rule, you only have to cast the spell in the same spot every day, so the chalk disappearing after 6 hours at the longest wouldn’t necessarily disrupt the creation of the permanent circle. But it seems to be against the spirit of the rule to me.
If it bothers you do it once with proper chalk, to create the actual visible circle, and then use performance of creation chalk for the subsequent 364 times. But I don't think it is layer upon layer of chalk that makes the circle permenant, I think it is layer upon layer of magic cast with that chalk, regularly for a year.

I'm inclined to read performance of creation broadly for creating spell components, as doing so changes the economics of a handful of spells in interesting ways that thus make this otherwise lackluster subclass have some niche value, and makes some otherwise lackluster spells worth taking.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
If it bothers you do it once with proper chalk, to create the actual visible circle, and then use performance of creation chalk for the subsequent 364 times. But I don't think it is layer upon layer of chalk that makes the circle permenant, I think it is layer upon layer of magic cast with that chalk, regularly for a year.

I'm inclined to read performance of creation broadly for creating spell components, as doing so changes the economics of a handful of spells in interesting ways that thus make this otherwise lackluster subclass have some niche value, and makes some otherwise lackluster spells worth taking.
That’s a fair interpretation. Personally, I am inclined to do the opposite, as allowing Performance of Creation to replace the need for expensive material components eliminates one of the few actual uses for gold in the game, and unbalances spells that are meant to be limited by their high costs. But to each their own.

That’s a fair interpretation. Personally, I am inclined to do the opposite, as allowing Performance of Creation to replace the need for expensive material components eliminates one of the few actual uses for gold in the game, and unbalances spells that are meant to be limited by their high costs. But to each their own.
Well my mind might well change if the collective mental energies of powergamers ever get around to conspiring how to cheese it and discover things that actually break the game. So far I haven't seen much collective interest in Creation Bards though, so it's hard to say what it might do.

Democratus

Adventurer
Is it that rare for parties/characters to take a year of down time in most games?

Seems like it would be almost mandatory in any kingdom-building campaign. Politics, realm management, army building...these things can take scads of time.

Mirtek

Hero
Gotta go with Shidaku.

I mean, does anyone really think the nobility of Waterdeep can't afford to install a circle or two? Or the Lords of Thay, who, not to put too fine a point on it, literally run a massive despotic wizard nation?
Waterdeep has them. In one of the Brimstone Angels novel the party pays to use one to quickly get from WD to Cormyr. They purchase their Ticket and then wait in line until it's their turn. Mostly metchant Caravans in front of them

Dausuul

Legend
Politics, realm management, army building...these things can take scads of time.
Modern D&D offers no support for any of that. Kingdom-building was an expected part of the game in BD&D and AD&D, but 3E dropped it, presumably because very few people ran kingdom-building campaigns. And it has stayed gone through 4E and 5E, and I haven't heard any great outcry to bring it back.

My experience has been that most campaigns follow either an "epic quest" model or an "episodic dungeon crawl" model. The epic quest actively prevents large amounts of downtime. The episodic dungeon crawl offers the potential for long downtime periods, but a year would be quite rare.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Modern D&D offers no support for any of that. Kingdom-building was an expected part of the game in BD&D and AD&D, but 3E dropped it, presumably because very few people ran kingdom-building campaigns. And it has stayed gone through 4E and 5E, and I haven't heard any great outcry to bring it back.

My experience has been that most campaigns follow either an "epic quest" model or an "episodic dungeon crawl" model. The epic quest actively prevents large amounts of downtime. The episodic dungeon crawl offers the potential for long downtime periods, but a year would be quite rare.

You might not have heard an outcry, but there are 3pp supplements either out or coming out for this exact type of thing

Remove ads