• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tell Me About A Tiger's Full Attack...

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
So after you've dropped the foe you're grappling from damage, you still have to spend an attack action just dumping his limp body before you can freely move again? Well, I suppose you could make an auto-win grapple check to move some distance dragging the carcass with you.

Once he's dead, is he an opponent any more? He certainly isn't an enemy.

-Hyp.

frankthedm

First Post
The Target was clawed, then grabbed, then held (with a grapple check as a free action per the SRD), then attacked with a rake, then let go by not moving into the opponent's space to maintain the grapple, or pulling the opponent into the tiger's space (per a line in Improved Grab), then continued on with the full attack, resolving each attack in order, then going on to the next, as the SRD says to do.
If you never reach step 4 of the grappling rules, then your full attack would not be interrupted.
Someone using the normal grapple rules has that option. Improved grab on the other hand sure looks like it snags the smaller foe just on the basis on a successful hold. The victim is in the creatures space by the time the rake would occur, IF it the rake can occur, since there is some text conflict on rake.
It's not like it is anything broken,
:erm: The difference between pounce giving 8 attacks rather than five attacks sure as the 9 hells raises some balance issues considering how potent pounce is to start with. And this is besides the general issues involving Druids & Wildshape.

Last edited:

glass

(he, him)
My take on the OP question

Sorry, I just realised I've posted twice to nitpick, without actually answering the original question. My thoughts:

1. My reading of pounce is that it allows you to do your rake attacks by itself. If you are pouncing, you don't need to start a grapple to rake. Thus I wouldn't bother unless you really wanted the enemy grappled for some reason unrelated to rakes.

2. On that basis, if you did want him grappled, I'd finish with claw or bite (whichever is primary) and initiate a grapple with that. The tigers attacks are not 'multiple attacks from high bab', so you don't have to take them in any particular order.

3. The full attack you get after the charge is separate from the charge attack itself, so I don't see any reason why you couldn't switch targets as normal for a full attack.

4. According to RAW, it's the DM's call how many free actions you can take in any given circumstance, so he wasn't technically wrong. Technical correctness doesn't stop him being a dick (and a hypocrite), though.

ETA:

5. Regardless, you only get two rakes per round, whether from grappling or pouncing (or both). Starting multiple grapples won't get you more than the two rakes you get grappling once (or pouncing, if you agree with my reading 1 above).

glass.

I think the DM was right. Letting a tiger go into improved grab mode for each claw and bite attack is WAY overpowered. Let her do it once (if she elects to) and that's it for the round. I'd still allow the iterative claw and bite attacks (but not improved grabs) just because we'd probably roll all attacks at the same time to begin with.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads