• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tell me about "Any RPG" from before 1990!

Ghostwind

First Post
I had a lot of fun with Battlelords of the 23rd Century. It was a percentile based system with some outrageous alien races. I based the Ramzadi from Torn Asunder on the Ram Python from Battlelords.

As far as Star Trek goes, the LUG game is concsidered by many to be the best of the Star Trek games.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
I found these today for 50 cents each. Two of them were in the orginal shrinkwrap but the wrap was partly torn so I just opened them. :p

40248d1242859874-tell-me-about-any-rpg-before-1990-102_6658.jpg

Any opinions on these three books or the RPGs they're for? Since I got these books so cheap, I might use them as trade bait.

Attachments

• 102_6658.JPG
    102_6658.JPG
    808 KB · Views: 60

Nagol

Unimportant

<snip>

Aftermath! was originally produced by some outfit called Phoenix Press (if I remember rightly) who quickly sold the product to another publisher. If you check the spine of the box, you should be able to tell. The new publisher (I think it might have been GDW?) put stickers over the Phoenix Press logo on the unsold stock they'd purchased... a variation on the Beatles' "Butcher Cover" technique in RPGs, maybe?

All I remember about Aftermath! was that it took hellishly long to generate characters, the best way to get characters with a decent number of skills was to push the boundaries of old age, and it had one of the most lethal firearms systems I'd seen in a game (to that point). My friends and I tried playing it using a Road Warrior setting, and gave it up after most of us died in the first battle with some mutant cockroaches.

<snip>

Aftermath! is a lot of fun. I've run and been run in a few multi-year campaigns of the game. The rules are a bit inconsistent -- particularly Hunting and Search.

Cambat can be lethal -- though melee generates considerably more damage than firearms. It isn't as stupidly lethal as Morrow Project, another "after the fall" game that came out around the same time.

Young characters have have much higher stats and many fewer skills. Oldsters have many better skills and worse stats.

Remove ads