• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tell me about medieval armies!

CombatWombat51

First Post
How did standing armies work from a soldier's point of view? I know how America's army works now, though I imagine it was much different long ago.

A few specific questions to get brains rolling. All of this assumes a feudal European setting, since that most closely resembles my D&D campaigns.

How were armies divided? Did each ruler have his own soldiers or were they all from one pool, and assigned various stations and posts?

Was there any initial training, similar in effect to modern boot camp?

How did different soldiers come to fill diferent rolls? Archers, cavalry, etc.

Did soldiers typically live in a barracks, or did they live in homes near their posts like government housing?

Was there any kind of organized training, or was it mostly up to each soldier to find a way to learn not to get stabbed?

How did one quit the army? Were there contracts for lengths of enlistment, or could you just up in leave (not in a time of war)?

Those are just some of the many things I'm clueless about :D I'm sure that in answering these questions, people will post all kinds of things I never even knew that I wanted to know :)

mmadsen

First Post
CombatWombat51 said:
How did standing armies work from a soldier's point of view?
They didn't exist.

In the feudal system, the aristocratic class held land in return for military service. Knights could afford horses and arms, and owed their lords a certain amount of military service per year. A small number of knights thus made up a lord's standing army.

During the crusades, the military orders started taking in young sons of aristocratic families (who weren't in line to inherit land), equipping them, and training them. Receiving charity and investing the proceeds, the military orders created standing armies that we'd almost recognize today -- spartan barracks, expensive fortifications, uniforms, etc.

VirgilCaine

First Post
From my various knowledge, not guaranteed to be accurate...

From what I understand, there were more militia than professional soldiers. Militia are either on the march/in the army or at home. No real middle ground of barracks.

How were armies divided? Did each ruler have his own soldiers or were they all from one pool, and assigned various stations and posts?

Each baron and tenant lord called up his own troops if the king said to...

I don't know...I don't think so, not many professional soldiers. Knights of course, had lots of training (jousts, etc.).

You were just good at it, I suppose.

Did soldiers typically live in a barracks, or did they live in homes near their posts like government housing?
Militia, no. Not many professional soldiers, so they were in castles/towns near the castle...

Was there any kind of organized training, or was it mostly up to each soldier to find a way to learn not to get stabbed?
I dunno...never really heard much about this.

How did one quit the army? Were there contracts for lengths of enlistment, or could you just up in leave (not in a time of war)?
There were limits on how long one could call up the militia--40 days or so in England at one time.

The concept of 'army' as we know it didn't really exist until the crusades, as mentioned above. However, depending on the actual time period, the answers to your questions vary quite a bit.

The problem with your question is you're trying to ask about fuedal Europe. That covers a very large span of time indeed, from the beginnings of the dark ages up until the industrial revolution :)

The concept of Armies changed, and changed a lot and frequently, during that time period.

Rather than ask which part of that 'fuedal' Europe you're asking about, let me ask you this - what do you 'picture' in your minds eye as the stereotypical medieval army? If you can describe what the army itself looks like to you, then I can correlate that to a time period and describe the social context of said army.

I'm an internert researcher and a medieval army/warfare hobbyist :) I could write 15 pages of the differences throughout that time period, but that'd just bore you :)

Last edited:

Wombat

First Post
CombatWombat51 said:
How did standing armies work from a soldier's point of view? I know how America's army works now, though I imagine it was much different long ago.

A few specific questions to get brains rolling. All of this assumes a feudal European setting, since that most closely resembles my D&D campaigns.

Those are just some of the many things I'm clueless about :D I'm sure that in answering these questions, people will post all kinds of things I never even knew that I wanted to know :)

One of the biggest problems here is that the Middle Ages, depending on how you count it, runs roughly 1000 years over a wide swath of Europe; in other words, there are no hard and fast answers that are always true.

Most feudal "armies" were raised on a local level. The closest thing you have to a "standing army" in many instances are the knights. Knights, depending on their "contract", might have to provide other troops as well, possibly other knights or horse troops, possibly archers, etc. Again, these arrangements vary widely. Knights usually owed specific period of military service each year, 40 days being fairly common, after which they would have to be paid for their service, if they could be convinced to stay in the field at all.

Knight are trained from an early age in horsemanship and weaponry. It was quite common to have pages and squires (knights-in-training) practice with weapons and armour that were quite a bit heavier than normal weapons so that in real combat with real weapons the items will feel lighter and can move faster.

On the other hand, by the end of the Middle Ages many knights were more interested in their social position than in their combat prowess. One standard practice worked to this point -- scutage, or shield money (from scutum, a shield). Essentially a knight did not have to provide military service if he could provide for someone else to take his place. Since there were usually many younger sons of knights who had the training, but not the title, it was easy enough to hire these "freelancers" (origin of that term) to take their place. (And speaking of term origins, "Scot Free" has nothing to do with Scotlands or Scots in general, it has to do with scutage -- getting away "scot free" meant to somehow not show up for combat and yet not have to pay for a replacement.)

A number of areas produced local militia, fyrd, and the like. These are usually local foot troops, sometimes only called out when their own (very local) land is attacked, others called up for specific periods of time. Again, how long they might serve and the like were open to wide variations.

Now the subject of mercenaries. "Soldiers" (those who fight for soldis, silver coins) are ubiquitous and highly variable. Some are permanent guards of castles, cities, or of specific lords; some are called up for short periods of time. Some were highly professional and very loyal; others could be open to "contract negotiations" in the middle of combat.

Organization is even more tricky. Armies (usually quite a bit smaller than what we consider armies nowadays) were often divided into three divisions -- Forward Guard, Middle Guard, Rear Guard (and, again, these are only examples of names -- very little is consistent); on the battle field these would become the right, center, and left flank of the army. On a smaller scale you might find Lances (a knight and his personal troops) or Companies (a highly variable number of troops). There is no specific hierarchy of command and often knights would choose for themselves when they would attack, no matter what the orders from above might be.

As for different roles for troops, the lowly footsoldiers were suppose to hold their ground while the cavalry (read: knights) were the hammerblow. Archers were sometimes important, sometimes not. And, as is quite common, specific commanders had a better grasp of the use of different kinds of troops than others.

For much, much better information on all these topics, but still in an "overview" form, I would suggest finding a copy of David Nicolle's Medieval Warfare Soure Book: Warfare in Western Christendom. It is an excellent book.

Added in -- here are some links on the topic (representative only):

http://www.xenophongroup.com/montjoie/oriflam.htm

http://www.hyw.com/Books/History/Logistic.htm

http://www.deremilitari.org/RESOURCES/ARTICLES/showalter.htm

http://www.hyw.com/books/history/Medi0000.htm

Last edited:

diaglo

Adventurer
don't forget even the US had "militia" style armies.

each state fielded its own army. just look at the Civil War/War of Northern Aggression. ;) some military academies still swear allegiance to certain states.

edit: some governors....call out the National Guard ;)

Last edited:

robberbaron

First Post
Pretty much what has been said above.

Also, in what could be described as the late medieval period (late 14th/early 15th century), when archery became important (think of what the English archers did at Agincourt - and yes I know the weather had a big part to play, but they were still rather effective despite dysentery) it was a duty of all male peasants to practice archery every Sunday, IIRC at their local church under the watchful eye of the priest. In fact, the law has never been repealed, so everyone in England who doesn't practice with his bow after Sunday service is a criminal.

This was so that when the King decided to go to war, he would have a large number of pretty well trained peasant archers to call upon, without having to pay for their training.

I would have thought that Kings would have had a small number of "standing troops", probably as palace guards, possibly drawn from their own lands. Dunno, but makes sense to me.

There are so many reference texts on this subject and I would suggest having a peruse through the Web in the first instance, your local Library in the second.

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
Just an aside on training (the below is not intended for use in any history course, quiz show, or to impress people you find physically charming)

For the foot troops the training was pretty much "beat up those guys over there with whatever it is you have in your hands and if you try to run away I'll kill you myself". Thus ended the military tutorial for the majority of the forces.

England was a little different for a brief period of time (about a hundred years or so). The peasants and whatnot were encouraged to practice with a longbow. This worked out pretty well. Any idiot can use a crossbow (I've used one and hit a target) but long/shortbows take skill. Once you've put in the three years or so of training though, you can do all kinds of funky archery that the English were infamous for. However, there was one problem with this practice: it was a huge pain in the butt.

You may think this sounds trivial, but it wasn't seen so at the time. In the runup to the American War for Independence, Ben Franklin suggested that the fighting men be trained in the longbow because it was far superior to the guns of the time. He was right but nobody wanted to call up England and ask for a three year time out. Learning how to use a bow is hard.

But back to the middle ages. The Swiss were starting to do some groovy formations with spears/halberds/long-pointy-things in response to the presence of armored knights on the battlefield. This was pretty late in the middle ages though when there was enough wealth floating around to afford this kind of thing. But it didn't last long. Someone figured out how to make guns better than crossbows and then the buzzclock sounded on the middle ages and western history started into the renaissance.

S'mon

Legend
I believe England's archers were drawn from the yeoman class of free farmers, rather than peasants.

To those experts on the thread looking to narrow it down - how about 15th century England circa the Wars of the Roses? That seems closest to the technological & cultural level typified by 3e D&D, with its full plate armour, barded warhorses, usual absence of hand-guns, etc. This late medieval setting was a period dominated by longbowmen (in D&D they'd be composite longbowmen) :) and by plate-armoured men at arms, forces were small and often very well equipped by earlier standards.

What was the training, organisation & lifestyle like for professional men-at-arms in this period?

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
S'mon said:
I believe England's archers were drawn from the yeoman class of free farmers, rather than peasants.

You're right. I'm wrong. I will stick a pencil up my nose in pennance.

To those experts on the thread looking to narrow it down - how about 15th century England circa the Wars of the Roses?

Sounds good.

What was the training, organisation & lifestyle like for professional men-at-arms in this period?

The only stuff I know is anecdotal. There's a couple of nifty stories about mercenary comapanies each hired from a different side facing off and then both walking away (why fight when you can just say you did and collect the cash?)

Remove ads