• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tell me about the Beastmaster Ranger in play...

Shiv

Explorer
I was also concerned that the Beast Protector feat might be broken, but this has not been my experience.

While it provides for additional attacks by the ranger, it generally results in a great deal of damage being dealt to the beast, offsetting the damage dealt by the ranger for these OAs. More attacks against the beast eat up heals pretty quickly, despite allowing the ranger to attack more often.

Just my experience.

robotsinmyhead

First Post
I was also concerned that the Beast Protector feat might be broken, but this has not been my experience.

While it provides for additional attacks by the ranger, it generally results in a great deal of damage being dealt to the beast, offsetting the damage dealt by the ranger for these OAs. More attacks against the beast eat up heals pretty quickly, despite allowing the ranger to attack more often.

Just my experience.
A good point, but in the inevitability that the beast is attacked, this allows the ranger a significantly higher use of OAs. There's a risk/reward payoff here in that, while the beast soaks up more damage, you can dish out a ton in retort.

Pair on the the ability of the ranger to heal the beast with his own healing surges and the relatively laughable cost to resurrect the beast and it's definitely worth it to put it in the line of fire sometimes.

Shiv

Explorer
A good point, but in the inevitability that the beast is attacked, this allows the ranger a significantly higher use of OAs. There's a risk/reward payoff here in that, while the beast soaks up more damage, you can dish out a ton in retort.

Pair on the the ability of the ranger to heal the beast with his own healing surges and the relatively laughable cost to resurrect the beast and it's definitely worth it to put it in the line of fire sometimes.

Yeah, to an extent. But at the same time, the ranger's damage isn't THAT great, since he's likely already dealt his extra quarry damage earlier that round.

Of course, the increased chances of crits (due to the increased number of attack rolls) can be an issue.

Thus far, I haven't seen it to be an issue in the game I am playing in. Time will tell, I suppose. As of right now, I've seen the additional damage output by the ranger taking OAs offset pretty well by the additional damage the beast takes (requiring healing both by the ranger and the party's Leader).

Negflar2099

Explorer
I'm really glad you asked this question. I'm going to be playing a Drow Ranger (I know but it's not what you think) with a Spider animal companion in an upcoming game and I was curious about the class. My guy is going to be an Evil Lloth fanatic who wields the standard drown Longsword + Hand Crossbow. I'm going to be taking a mix of ranged, melee and beast powers. I have no idea if it's going to work but heck I can always retrain.

robotsinmyhead

First Post
Yeah, to an extent. But at the same time, the ranger's damage isn't THAT great, since he's likely already dealt his extra quarry damage earlier that round.
This is one reason I've based my build around a 2-handed weapon and feats/items that increase basic attack damage (and OA boostings of other persuasion)

An OA from a dual-wielding ranger would be considerably lower than my current OA of 2d6+8 (brutal 1)

I'm still interested to see how this goes in the game and if my strategy/gimmick works. With a Cloak of Distortion, I'm hoping my instance of getting plugged from ranged attacks is low, and I'm intending on using the +3 Total Defense boost with the beast to bait enemies into melee and at the VERY LEAST splitting damage between the ranger and pet 50/50.

Turtlejay

First Post
Obviously, a dwarven ranger isn't the most optimized build and I knew this going in, but I like that aesthetic of it and I think it'll be a lot of fun.

Dwarven rangers are the opposite of broken, the best reason is Dwarven Weapon training when used with Twin strike allows you to get that +2 damage twice in a round. Second Wind as a minor is sweet, and that +2 to Wisdom is right up a ranger's alley.

Jay

tbk409

First Post
I DM a human ranger with a wolf in the party. He uses two weapons, and leans a little toward the beast powers over two-handed powers.

The ranger plays great. We also have a rogue and a warlord, so there is a lot of tactical movement, with flanking galore. It is fun for the ranger, fun for the others, and doesn't take up to much play time. The ranger and beast compliment one another well, with a great flavor.

I think you were asking more about build advice, but I couldn't help put in my opinion on the excellent playability.

HeirToPendragon

First Post
One of my players is using a Wolf beast. He built it to play like a WoW Hunter

After smacking him around a bit he learned his mistake and is gonna play different

Last edited:

Nymrohd

First Post
Losing Defensive Mobility and Prime Shot doesn't seem to have cost heavily (heck better make that, not at all) to my group's elf ranger, who I allowed to retrain for a wolf and a few Beast powers. Let me tell you, that wolf is frightening my poor mobs. It has quite more health than the ranger and hits as often as the dagger rogue. Not to mention how helpful he is with setting flanks. I think that taking the animal companion is a better route even if you don't plan to focus on that built's powers.
Would have been great though if there were more powers that were beast only, since the party ranger is not that good at melee (or even better if there were some attacks that combined ranged/beast other than Partnered Savaging). Also would be nice to have an at will that lets the beast attack while the ranger is in range.

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
A thing to note is that by focusing on beastmaster power you can pick up a shield if you want. +1 to AC and ref, or even +2 should you decide to go heavy shield (Not all ranger need to be stealthy) is a pretty good deal.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads