• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tell me about the Beastmaster Ranger in play...

Klaus

First Post
Which is exactly why I retrained Beast Protector out. :) It just didn't come up often enough to be worth a feat, and mainly my beast was provoking attacks on its own turn, and not getting attacked too often.

Now, combine Beast Protector with the Bard's "Misdirected Mark" or whatever, have your Beast marking things left and right...that could probably guarantee a TON of OA's. :D
Ah, but if you use a reach weapon and/or place your Beast Companion between you and your foe...

cmbarona

First Post
Ah, but if you use a reach weapon and/or place your Beast Companion between you and your foe...

Funny you should mention this. I'm exploring a Ranger build right now (Dragonborn with a Pseudodragon as his "Raptor") and I'm curious: what are the benefits of using a reach weapon with a beast companion?

RefinedBean

First Post

My guy does exactly that, using a Halberd. Still, most enemies can easily shift the one square to get at me. I'd rather keep the companion on the other side, for an easier flank.

Either way, Beasts = INSANELY USEFUL. Especially for out of combat stuff, sneaking around, tracking, climbing/flying, stealing...good times.

RefinedBean

First Post
Funny you should mention this. I'm exploring a Ranger build right now (Dragonborn with a Pseudodragon as his "Raptor") and I'm curious: what are the benefits of using a reach weapon with a beast companion?

Get the beast behind an enemy to flank, get a defender to get between you and the enemy. You're now using an entire defender as a buffer, while hitting with quarry damage and still getting combat advantage.

cmbarona

First Post
I should point out a couple of misconceptions I've noticed. First, if you have the Beast Protector feat, it gives you an effective reach for those particular OAs. Second, you only get combat advantage from an enemy you are flanking, not just any enemy being flanked. So while I still think reach weapons are incredibly useful, I'm just having a hard time seeing why they are more useful for a Beastmaster Ranger. What other factors should I consider?

RefinedBean

First Post
I should point out a couple of misconceptions I've noticed. First, if you have the Beast Protector feat, it gives you an effective reach for those particular OAs. Second, you only get combat advantage from an enemy you are flanking, not just any enemy being flanked.

You're flanking with your beast companion when you make the attack, normally AND on the OAs. Also, reach-attacking means you can easily move to help another party member out, all the while keeping your beast companion on the other baddie.

Honestly, you should just give it a whirl, you can always switch out weapons. It really works very well, tactically.

Remove ads