D&D 5E Tell me about your Adventures in Middle-Earth experiences, please

G

Guest 6801328

I emphasize noncombat resolution in my modern urban setting.

But how does that style work for players in AIME? If there is only one combat, say, per session, what are the characters doing with their time?

I am imagining the team in the middle of a forest, or in the middle of a hamlet of 10 farms, and my mind is going blank about (interesting) noncombat stuff to do.
Read the thread about Paladin oaths for some ideas.

dave2008

Legend
As per the title. My impression of 5e is that for all efforts to flatten the math and other changes, it's just as over-saturated with magic as ever.
While that is true, it is also very easy to remove magic from 5e. In fact, the system actually encourages you to not use magic as the game runs better without it (or at least less of it). We always play low-magic settings and it works great in 5e. In the 5+ years we have played 5e we have had one wizard, one multiclassed warlock, and one druid (out of approximately 16 characters). That is it for magic using classes and it has worked great.

EDIT: Oops, just realized your post is over 2 years old! You probably don't need my opinion anymore - oh well!

TheSword

Legend
I was a player in this game, with an excellent DM. It worked and we had a lot of fun I in a mash up of the Mirkwood setting and some other elements.

It doesn’t tick the same boxes as 5e but as a tonic for an experienced party of RPers it provides avery satisfying low magic version of 5e.

Remove ads