Tell me your tale about the Tomb of Horrors

rossik

Explorer
thedungeondelver said:
They decided to camp inside the dungeon (!) - the nightmares that permeated their dreams kept anyone from re-memorizing spells. Then there was the Type IV demon that showed up the second "night" which caused an immediate retreat...
[/font]

this remind me of eye of the beholder computer game (one or two, cant remember.) theres a place where you cant rest, as you have terrible nightmares!

maybe the sttaff had just playes ToH...;)

I ran my group through it on the weekend. The party made it up to the evil chapel before we ran out of time. We might continue playing it for a few hours before out next regular session. There were only 2 deaths. One of the PC's died in the very first pit trap (and another one came close) after he pulled the invisible lever in the treasure box. Constitution damage is a bitch! :)

I nearly had a second death after the another PC fell into another pit trap but a Restoration spell in between poison saves kept him alive. That same PC died quite soon after, another victim to the Green Demon Mouth.

Other notable occurances were 2 PC's becoming female, one of those PC's then being stripped of all her possessions and another PC being dominated and nearly killing the party fighter in the suprise round.

Olaf the Stout

vonmolkew

Explorer
DM-Rocco said:
I wouldn't call it over heard, because Gary said the judges looked at him at asked if that would work.

This was conveyed to the group of us getting ready to play in the tournament module of that year. I don't remember why it came up, but one of the Head Judges told the story. I guess if EGG mentioned it in the Return To The Tomb of Horrors, it must have happened to this Judge or a friend of his.

Harmon

First Post
Crothian said:
<snip>"Wait a minute this is Tomb of Horrors?"

"Um, yes it is."

"F this I'm not going through this module again!!"

And he packs up his stuff and leaves. We were a little shocked by this as we were gaming at his house. He never would tell me what happened the first time he went through the module but it left him emotionally scarred. <snip>

More then likes he recalled what a boring, and total waste of time it was.

My involvement in the campaign was as a fighter (as I recall- it was twenty odd years ago). After a couple hours of watching the other character tap walls, and fiddle with stuff I asked about it and was informed it was about puzzles and traps and riddles, and.....

I blinked a few times, explained that I had to change the air in my tires, asked about a wall or pit or something and went into it. Dead PC, Player free to do something else more interesting- count grains of sand mayhaps.

To this day I have no interest in campaigns like it, or it in itself.

More power to all of you that find it of interest, as we all have differing tastes, and this one just ante mine.

Delta

First Post
The Perfect Storm

So this past weekend my friends and I had a sometimes-annual gaming retreat in New England. As part of the festivities, I ran a "Gygax Memorial Gaming Session" wherein I ran the infamous AD&D Module S1: Tomb of Horrors using 1E rules. This was the first time I'd run a 1E session in about 16 years by my count. It was the first time ever I'd gotten to DM Tomb of Horrors, so it basically fulfilled something I'd been dreaming of since I was at least in high school.

So, I just had to get in here and share the following experience. There's more at my blog ( http://deltasdnd.blogspot.com/ ), but here's the big climax. Enjoy!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

SCENE: TINY CRAWLWAY (or, "THE PERFECT STORM, 1E STYLE"). They get past the second great hall by detecting the hidden crawlspace. (DM thought: Didn't realize in advance how unnerving it would be that it looks just like a sphere of annihilation.) Everyone squeezes into the tiny winding tunnel, fighters in plate armor with shields on their back barely able to wiggle through. They crawl, twisting and turning, for over an hour. The tunnel dead-ends in a blank stone wall. Thief in lead fails to find any secret door. Now what? (So we're laughing at this scene of the party stuck face-to-feet in the tiny crawlspace, unable to move. What if a monster came up behind them, like perhaps a "gelatinous tube"? Don't want to hear from the back: "Uh, guys, I can't feel me feet anymore...")

Remember, we made up characters from DMG Appendix P. The party got to pick a number of miscellaneous magic items from a list when they started. One of the items that they picked was -- yep, a wand of wonder. Having depleted quite a few spells, and with the wizard out of position to cast at the dead-end, the party hits upon trying this wand at the face of the wall. Thief pulls it out, points at the wall, and says the command word. I have the player roll percentile dice. Result: 56%. Darkness falls over the entire party, extinguishing all their lights, leaving them sightless in a pitch-black stone tube deep in the Tomb of Horrors. (A lot more laughter around the table. Now they can't see anything, and are just faceless voices debating what to do next. How could it get worse?) Well, they decide to use the wand of wonder again. Maybe it can reverse the prior effect? In any case, out it comes. Player rolls again. Result: 76%.

So you see, that's a fireball that goes off against the stone wall inches from the face of the lead character. And if you recall, one of the most infamous things about the entire 1E spell system is that fireballs take the shape of whatever space they're in, up to a fairly sizable volume. And the players have managed to wedge themselves into the very smallest area they could possibly fit their bodies! (Very brief flash of intense light. The entire crawlspace roars with flame, spitting back out into the main hallway hundreds of feet back.) Some make their saves, others have lots of hit points. But recall again that 1E fireballs do affect all their material items. All their clothes and capes get burned to cinders. The map gets incinerated! (I gleefully yank it from the player.) The bag of holding has to save or lose everything within it (it succeeds.)

Massive gales of laughter all around the table. At 2AM, after about 6 hours of play, we're laughing so hard we're almost crying. We can't continue for about 15 minutes or so, play-acting the yelping voices of what the players have managed to do to themselves. They're playing 1E AD&D -- in the Tomb of Horrors -- using a wand of wonder -- and hit themselves with a fireball in the smallest space humanly possible. What could be more perfect? It could only happen in this particular game, with those particular die-rolls that probably no one has ever recreated. In 30 years of playing D&D, I've never seen anything so perfectly, hilariously catastrophic in my gaming life. (Somewhere Acererak looks down and says, "Wow, that's really good! Why didn't I think of that?")

Thanks, Gary! You were the best!

Last edited:

Remove ads