• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Tell us what you like and don't like about 4e

Tarangil

First Post
webstrip_2003_08_07.gif

webstrip_2003_08_08.gif

webstrip_2003_08_11.gif

Galamdring

First Post
Anyone else finds the masterwork version of the black-holeing burst bastard sword of planet cleaving a bit over the top?

I mean... +1 att...?!?! What were they thinking???

Maybe it is because the new core campaign is low magic... ;)

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
Putting wheels and handles on the books was nice, and clips to clip them together. But, they really should've riveted the handles on instead of merely stapling. And using hollow plastic wheels instead of solid rubber was a really dumb move

Sunchaser

First Post
It's kinda cool that opposed alignments HAVE TO try and kill each other no matter what. I hated those mixed parties with Paladins and Thieves wandering around together.

And changing Paladin's "Detect Evil" to "Detect Good" was brilliant. It's now a permanently "switched on" ability and ANYTHING that doesn't show up as Good must immediately be attacked and killed, it's so much easier for DM to make adventures now.

Speaking of adventures, the optional rule for "xp penalties for anyone trying to solve a problem without fighting involved" is great. Why have a game with swords and hitpoints and fireballs if you're gonna try something dumb like talking your way out of situation.

And ATTACKS OF OPPURTUNITY are now great. So much easier to understand: Calclulate a 50' range for each +1 of BAB in any cross-class skills (but not including prestige and greater presitige and underprestige classes) divided by the total bonuses of ALL magical gear (max of +30 at level 1, and double for every level after that) and that equals your Base Attack of Oppurtunity Melee Modify, which is obviously how many d20 you roll to see if you get 3, 4, or 5 extended-attacks-oppurtunty. That's the basics obviously, but very simple and streamliined. Combat is more complicated, but very.. GRIM N GRITTY..

StupidSmurf

First Post
Sunchaser said:
It's kinda cool that opposed alignments HAVE TO try and kill each other no matter what. I hated those mixed parties with Paladins and Thieves wandering around together.

And changing Paladin's "Detect Evil" to "Detect Good" was brilliant. It's now a permanently "switched on" ability and ANYTHING that doesn't show up as Good must immediately be attacked and killed, it's so much easier for DM to make adventures now.

Speaking of adventures, the optional rule for "xp penalties for anyone trying to solve a problem without fighting involved" is great. Why have a game with swords and hitpoints and fireballs if you're gonna try something dumb like talking your way out of situation.

And ATTACKS OF OPPURTUNITY are now great. So much easier to understand: Calclulate a 50' range for each +1 of BAB in any cross-class skills (but not including prestige and greater presitige and underprestige classes) divided by the total bonuses of ALL magical gear (max of +30 at level 1, and double for every level after that) and that equals your Base Attack of Oppurtunity Melee Modify, which is obviously how many d20 you roll to see if you get 3, 4, or 5 extended-attacks-oppurtunty. That's the basics obviously, but very simple and streamliined. Combat is more complicated, but very.. GRIM N GRITTY..

I agree about the alignments, but did they REALLY need to give us new descriptors?

Lawful = Organized
Chaotic= Messy
Good= Nifty
Evil= Nasty
Neutral= Meh

mrtauntaun

First Post
I really like what they did with tactical movement in combat. In addition to the five foot step as a free action, you can now perform: 10 foot hop, 15 foot cartwheel, and the 20 foot triple lindy. It makes things so much clearer now. I can't wait to take the epic feat that allows you to do them all at once: the 50 foot OMFG-are-you-kidding-me lunge.
Also, Im glad they added more information and additional types of attacks of opportunity. It will allow for more of my favorite time of a game session: stopping the combat to determine what provokes. Im already an expert on the attack of annoyance.

Last edited:

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
Dr. Harry said:
No, you're thinking of the button that kills all the players on the level. You know, the big button labled "TPK".

The big red button

The big shiny red button

The big, shiny, candy-like red button.

Mmmm ... candy ...

Yes....yes...yes....
43.gif

button.gif

Remove ads