D&D 5E Tempest Cleric seems VERY strong

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Yep, that's pretty much it.

Except beefing up monsters create an arms race, and you know who are the losers?

The ones *not* taking GWM!

In other words, no, the solution in feat games isn't to beef up monsters. The solution is to remove GWM

*shrug* Once you allow feats, you have started the arms race. Other feats are also pretty strong - GWM/Sharpshooter is just easier to quantify and measure numerically than most. (Some feats are incredibly weak as well, which is it's own problem.)

If removing GWM works for you, go for it. For my game, I prefer the arms race. It allows me to make the monsters more interesting and heroes more legendary.

Last edited:

Rhenny

Adventurer
I played a Tempest Cleric for levels 1-4, and although I felt tough, I would often be in the front ranks taking attacks so I was exposed more often. Yes, the powers work well, but forcing the cleric into the front lines can be dangerous for the party if the cleric goes down. I was knocked unconscious at least 2 times in those adventures and that added an element of tension to our adventuring, so there is that as a trade off.

CapnZapp

Legend
Yup. You even dismiss it as 'butthurt whining'.

What? No. I said:
I have never seen a calculation that does what Ancalagon suggests.

Everytime the would-be statician stops at advantage, if even that. Nobody has included the crucial ability to turn misses into hits. (Somewhere about here, the statician gets butt-hurt and tries to derail the discussion with the classic "but then it isn't GWM that's OP, it's the combination" chestnut)
To which you replied the following, as if you were that statician:

Ah yes, dismissing valid complaints about your statement and then ignoring it. Just like I was saying.

Again: the analysis hasn't even started. Each time I dismiss a calculation, telling the statician to take BOTH advantage and bard inspiration (etc) into account, the discussion gets derailed into butthurtness.

All you're doing at this point Yunru is proving my point - that no naysayer is capable of taking the analysis to the level where I'm at, the level where you clearly see GWM as abusable-as-heck.

Now if you would excuse me, I have more important things to do.

CapnZapp

Legend
*shrug* Once you allow feats, you have started the arms race. Other feats are also pretty strong - GWM/Sharpshooter is just easier to quantify and measure numerically than most. (Some feats are incredibly weak as well, which is it's own problem.)

If removing GWM works for you, go for it. For my game, I prefer the arms race. It allows me to make the monsters more interesting and heroes more legendary.
No problem. I don't have an issue to anything you're saying here. :)

CapnZapp

Legend
Some elements apply broadly, others are specific to the particular elements I assessed.
That's too generic of an answer for me.

I think we'd better go our separate ways. I don't think your conclusions have any bearing on people like me.

Have a nice day.

Last edited:

Remove ads