Temple of Light: does radiant keyword apply to followup attacks?

msherman

First Post
If I hit someone with Temple of Light, and then the next round attack with Overwhelming Strike, does the second attack count as Radiant (for Radiant Servant purposes) because of the radiant damage from the Temple of Light zone?

Effectively yes. Not ALL of the damage is radiant, just the bonus 1d6, but the exact text in Temple of Light is "that attack deals 1d6 extra radiant damage." So it is clear that the power causes Overwhelming Strike to deal the bonus damage and thus it is radiant damage dealt by OS. Any benefit that would accrue from the power doing radiant damage should thus apply, though understand that for purposes of things like resistance/vulnerability the normal OS damage and the 1d6 bonus will be handled independently (though honestly it is unlikely to matter in this example it could be important if the attack did non-radiant typed damage).

msherman

First Post
Yay, a debate. I'm kinda surprised this one hasn't come up already and been decided one way or the other, it seems like an obvious combo if it works. Any more votes?

I'd say no.

The extra radiant damage is from the zone created by ToL.

OS does not gain the Radiant keyword.

See the quote from ToL in my first post. The power literally tells you that attacks against anything in the ToL zone deal bonus radiant damage. It doesn't say ToL deals the damage, it says the attack you used deals it. Its an open and shut case.

Mirtek

Hero
At the WotC boards is a generall issue whether dealing typed damage also adds the damage type keyword and it's yet to be decided.

Dice4Hire

First Post
Yes, keyword is another area WOTC needs to clear up.

I would go the keyword route, though, the power does not have the keyword, so.........

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Is PHB p55 considered declarative:
For instance, a power that deals acid damage is an acid effect and thus has the acid keyword. ...?

Or is there an assumed 'generally' or 'should' in there - as in, "When we designed the PHB powers, we gave all the ones that dealt acid damage the acid keyword, but it cannot be stated with certainty that any time acid damage is delivered, the acid keyword is therefore attached to the power"?

Taking P55 at its word, we would know that a power that deals radiant damage is a radiant effect and thus has the radiant keyword, and so if Overwhelming Strike deals radiant damage thanks to ToL, then Overwhelming Strike is a radiant effect thanks to ToL, and thus has the radiant keyword thanks to ToL.

-Hyp.

Diirk

First Post
Is PHB p55 considered declarative:
For instance, a power that deals acid damage is an acid effect and thus has the acid keyword. ...?

Or is there an assumed 'generally' or 'should' in there - as in, "When we designed the PHB powers, we gave all the ones that dealt acid damage the acid keyword, but it cannot be stated with certainty that any time acid damage is delivered, the acid keyword is therefore attached to the power"?

Taking P55 at its word, we would know that a power that deals radiant damage is a radiant effect and thus has the radiant keyword, and so if Overwhelming Strike deals radiant damage thanks to ToL, then Overwhelming Strike is a radiant effect thanks to ToL, and thus has the radiant keyword thanks to ToL.

-Hyp.
Keep in mind that was a quote from the PHB1, back before they added in all sorts of trickiness... back then a power that did acid damage DID have the acid keyword. I view that more as a descriptive sentence than a mechanical rule. I'm of the view that unless you obtain the radiant keyword explicitly from somewhere (eg radiant weapon), its not a radiant attack, even if you do a little radiant damage.
Likewise, a genasai with the Shocking Flame feat wouldn't turn all of his melee attacks into fire/lightning attacks, just because he's doing 2 points of fire/lightning damage.
Even that approach has issues tho (That ring that can convert lightning attacks into radiant damage, but doesn't change the keyword for example... I don't know that thats wrong per se, but it does seem odd) so I don't think the right answer is really obvious. Its certainly something WoTC should work on clarifying.

Remove ads