• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Temporary Hit Points

Shadeydm

First Post
Has anyone seen an official ruling on temporary hitpoints in 4E? It has been suggested that a paladin could use his at will power which grants him a number of temporary hitpoints equal to his wisdom bonus over and over in an encounter to boost his hitpoints and that these increases from the same source would stack. The rules apparently only restrict temporary hitpoints from diffrent sources from stacking. Has anyone seen anything in the core rules that suggest otherwise?

bardolph

First Post
Has anyone seen an official ruling on temporary hitpoints in 4E? It has been suggested that a paladin could use his at will power which grants him a number of temporary hitpoints equal to his wisdom bonus over and over in an encounter to boost his hitpoints and that these increases from the same source would stack. The rules apparently only restrict temporary hitpoints from diffrent sources from stacking. Has anyone seen anything in the core rules that suggest otherwise?
I believe that using the same power multiple times counts as more than one "source."

sirtayls

First Post
that is how I ruled it, if he gives 1 temp HP, then 1 temp hit point, you now have 1 temp hit point. they don't accumulate or stack. you get one pool of temps from one action or source.

Danceofmasks

First Post
Nah ... one of the issues of 4e is the way it relies on words with very specific definitions, and then failing to have a decent glossary.
Not a hungover effect, but sort of like a card game where you don't know what the terms mean.

fba827

Adventurer
I believe that using the same power multiple times counts as more than one "source."

Yeah, I interpret it as "each instance of receiving temp hp" doesn't stack.

so even if it's the same power that granted it, it's still a different instance of receiving temp hp.

anyway, just my interpretation.

ccmage

First Post
here is my question:
if a pally gain 3 temp hit points in the first turn, then he takes 2 dmg, now he has 1 temp hp. if he use the power again and gain another 3 temp hp, does it refresh his temp hp to 3 hp?

also if the pally has 30hp normally, he is bloodied at 15hp, if he gain 3 temp hit points, is he still bloodied?

another question, if the pally gain 1 temp hit points, and the cleric gives him another 3 temp hp, how much temp hp he has now? 1, 3, or 4?

thx

Verdande

First Post
I'd go with the RAI in this case. It's obvious (to me, anyways) that different instances of casting the same power count as different sources, so they don't stack together.

The intention of the rule is that players don't find some goofy way of granting the fighter a hundred and one temporary hit points through fifteen spells, and then send him off to do their bidding.

Now, whether you agree that the intention is how it should be played is one thing, and what it means in the book entirely another.

Verdande

First Post
here is my question:
if a pally gain 3 temp hit points in the first turn, then he takes 2 dmg, now he has 1 temp hp. if he use the power again and gain another 3 temp hp, does it refresh his temp hp to 3 hp?

also if the pally has 30hp normally, he is bloodied at 15hp, if he gain 3 temp hit points, is he still bloodied?

another question, if the pally gain 1 temp hit points, and the cleric gives him another 3 temp hp, how much temp hp he has now? 1, 3, or 4?

thx

Yes (although this depends on what side your DM takes in the debate that is going on in this forum), yes (they don't count as real hit points), and 3 (by RAW). Sorry for the double post, btw.

James McMurray

First Post
Have any rules lawyers stepped forward to argue that all paladin and cleric granted temporary hit points would stack because the powers all originate from the Divine source? It's a ludicrous, but technically possible, interpretation.

Remove ads