• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Temporary Hit Points

Doomhawk

First Post
The text reads "Benefit: Your Dark One’s Blessing now gives you 3 additional temporary hit points." It does not increase the value of your Dark One's Blessing by 3. It grants you 3 additional, as in, in addition to. So your power grants you 7 temporary hit points, in addition, it grants you 3 temporary hit points.
The same text allows for powers (I'm not sure if there actually are any, but there could be in future releases) that read like "gain X temporary hit points for every Y".

Sevain

First Post
As for Temporary Hit Points affecting bloodied status

PHB said:
Don’t Count toward Maximum: Temporary hit points don’t count when you compare your current hit points to your maximum hit points, when you determine whether you’re bloodied, or for other effects that depend on your current hit points.

Kaodi

Hero
Do not confuse the term " source " with " Source " . Temporary HP do not stack, no matter where you got them from. They are not refering to " Power Sources " they are just using the everyday definition of the word. Perhaps it was a bit sloppy of them to word it that way, but what it is meant to say is clear.

DreamChaser

Explorer
Do not confuse the term " source " with " Source " . Temporary HP do not stack, no matter where you got them from. They are not refering to " Power Sources " they are just using the everyday definition of the word. Perhaps it was a bit sloppy of them to word it that way, but what it is meant to say is clear.

Unless, as someone pointed out above, you gain a progressive number of temp HP from a single use of a power or class feature.

DC

People seem to constantly gloss over the important part of the definition of temporary hit points. DON'T ADD TOGETHER. It's written in plain wording. Nothing fancy, nothing to misunderstand. You do NOT add temporary hit points together. Yes, the definition goes on to add more but nothing it says after contradicts the initial DON'T ADD TOGETHER. I don't see how this is vague unless you are trying to rules lawyer and not read the rules.

If I had ribbons I would give James an honorable mention for the source idea.

Regicide

Banned
Banned
People seem to constantly gloss over the important part of the definition of temporary hit points. DON'T ADD TOGETHER. It's written in plain wording. Nothing fancy, nothing to misunderstand.

"Don't add together" is a general summary of the actual rule that follows. The actual rule states that temporary HP from DIFFERENT SOURCES don't add together. As was stated a few posts up, had they intended it not to stack at all, they could have stated such with fewer words, thus it's implicit that the intent was same source stacks.

Is a person on reading that to assume that a paladin who buffs himself with temp HP by using a reusing the same power isn't to add the HPs? No. The paladin's power says "you gain temporary HPs equal to your WIS." Gain generally taken to mean add. As written the paladin can gain infinite temp HPs through repeated use of the same power. That may not be how they INTENDED it, but it is a pretty typical interpretation of how it was written. There was even a custserv answer posted that said that. If custserv is getting it "wrong", do you honestly expect the average player to ESP that the intended rule was something else?

Horribly written. I have never seen a book ANYWHERE CLOSE to having such a combination of poor indexing, errors and unclear phrasing.

James McMurray

First Post
The text reads "Benefit: Your Dark One’s Blessing now gives you 3 additional temporary hit points." It does not increase the value of your Dark One's Blessing by 3. It grants you 3 additional, as in, in addition to. So your power grants you 7 temporary hit points, in addition, it grants you 3 temporary hit points.

No, it grants you 10. There's nothing in the feat to indicate that it makes your DOB trigger twice, once for 7 and then once for 3. Instead, when it triggers, it gives 3 more.

I don't have a problem understanding the rule as written, but apparently it causes confusion for some. I don't agree with your statement that some rules are summaries and not real rules though. "Don't Add together" is a pretty simple rule. Nothing says that it is a general summary and not a rule. It's in the rulebook like the rest of the rules.

This isn't meant as sarcasm but what stops a person from reading each rule in the book then and saying " These aren't rules, but general summaries instead."

I guess I am just looking for a reason to believe that they are summaries and not rules if that makes sense.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads