Terminator Dark Fate Review (no spoilers)

Zardnaar

Legend
Because of the reasons it says in the movie?

His main point is it's stupid, or at least the execution.

Terminators going free willed has been done before in the TV show but they built it up long term.

In a movie you can't really do that. Its to fast/rushed. Over a trilogy sure.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
His main point is it's stupid, or at least the execution.
It worked fine for me. It's not "stupid" at all. I thought it an interesting evolution of the "emotional learning" character he played in T2. It was definitely the next logical step with that, and clearly what would have eventually happened had that Terminator not been destroyed.

Sorry it didn't work for you.

Zardnaar

Legend
It worked fine for me. It's not "stupid" at all. I thought it an interesting evolution of the "emotional learning" character he played in T2. It was definitely the next logical step with that, and clearly what would have eventually happened had that Terminator not been destroyed.

Kinda sorta. The draperies no sex thing married was poor though. A little bit ham fisted, and the whole humor thing was a bit much. It was more nuanced in T2.

I watched T1 a few weeks ago and big tonal shift. Not quite as bad as T3 in that regard.

It was also silly how he could detect temporal displacements in advance and sent Sarah to the freeway instead of the landing zone from the timejump. Arnie did well with the material but yeah.

One if the writers was from the TV show, I think the trilogy needed to go and n that direction but with Skynet not Legion.

Then the whole lot would be a timeloop.

Last edited:

After the last couple of Terminator movies, don't know that I am all that interested in watching a new one. Will wait for this to come out on Netflix or Prime (or on demand). Based on the reviews and synopsis I've read, my main concern is it seems like it undercuts the ending of part 2 (which doesn't make sense if you are billing it as the real sequel to the first two films and trying to win back that fan base). That said, I still think part 1 is the best in the franchise. It is a solid film, and works from beginning to end for me (and like someone mentioned it has a horror element that really works). I enjoyed part 2 as well, but I think the franchise worked better when it wasn't going for that blockbuster vibe and taking almost more of a 70s grit approach. Don't get me wrong, I think part 2 actually pairs well with part 1 because it deviates so much. But my problem with the franchise is part 2 has become the blueprint rather than part one (and by blueprint I don't mean they should recycle the same plot over and over again, just I want a terminator movie that feels more like part one felt)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
After the last couple of Terminator movies, don't know that I am all that interested in watching a new one.

I think that's a terrible shame. This one is way better than the last three. If they'd just made this one, and not them, the Terminator franchise would be just fine. As it is it's gonna die because the las three are stopping people from seeing this one.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I would add that for the first time since T2 they got the "remorseless, it will just keep on coming, and will never stop" feeling. They didn't capture the desperation of fleeing something that just won't stop ever in any of the last three movies. This one - as it should be - was just a simple flight for survival.

I would add that for the first time since T2 they got the "remorseless, it will just keep on coming, and will never stop" feeling. They didn't capture the desperation of fleeing something that just won't stop ever in any of the last three movies. This one - as it should be - was just a simple flight for survival.
I think they showed that quit well during the detention center attack,where despite almost everybody piling on him,he kept going.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I think they showed that quit well during the detention center attack,where despite almost everybody piling on him,he kept going.
It was more in the acting of the pursued. They didn't stop fleeing, and they knew they couldn't. They remained desperate, the whole time, knowing that whatever they did all they were doing was buying a slight delay before he caught up again. They portrayed that hopelessness well.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases