• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The 15 min. adventuring day... does 4e solve it?

Imaro

Legend
Just curious about what peoples experiences so far have been. I haven't seen any significant shift in this paradigm with 4e, and find that it amounts to the same if not more of the 15 min adventuring day syndrome. So what are others experiences or opinions on the matter?

Gort

Explorer
In my experience, unless your players also dislike the "15 minute adventuring day", there's really nothing to stop them from having an encounter, blowing all their powers starting with the dailies and working down, then resting for the rest of the day.

It's still all about the GM really - if there's a time limit, or you have the party get attacked while they are resting, they won't be able to do it, but otherwise there really isn't anything to stop this playstyle in 4e.

The Little Raven

First Post
there's really nothing to stop them from having an encounter, blowing all their powers starting with the dailies and working down, then resting for the rest of the day.

Except for the "You can't benefit from an extended rest more than once in a 12-hour period" rule on page 263.

With that restriction, plus the incentives from milestones (action points and magic item daily uses), I've found it more difficult to get my group to agree to a rest.

Just curious about what peoples experiences so far have been. I haven't seen any significant shift in this paradigm with 4e, and find that it amounts to the same if not more of the 15 min adventuring day syndrome. So what are others experiences or opinions on the matter?

I think there's still some traces of it, and some players will want to blow their dailies, rest, rinse and repeat.

Still, given that now players have at-will and per-encounter powers, the DM can feel more confident giving time limits and less places to rest.

Also, as soon as magic items enter the equation, players will want to go on and take a couple extra encounters, so as to gain action points and more uses of the items.

I don't think 4E solves the 15 minute adventuring day. Rather, I think it renders it less of a concern. From my experience running a 4E game, and from what the numbers seem to say, it makes little difference whether an encounter is the party's 1st fight of the day, or its 4th. Its not like in 3E where the Wizards' best powers outright won fights.
In 4E, if the party wants to (and can feasably do it within the adventure) rest after every fight, it won't wreck game balance. If the party doesn't want to rest all that much (say, only when they are out of healing surges/daily power) then it also won't totally wreck things.

Last edited:

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
No 15min day in either group I am running. One group pushed hard any only takes an extended rest if running low on available healing surges. The other is a bit more conservative and will take in to account available daillies.

Vegepygmy

First Post
Gort said:
there's really nothing to stop them from having an encounter, blowing all their powers starting with the dailies and working down, then resting for the rest of the day.
Except for the "You can't benefit from an extended rest more than once in a 12-hour period" rule on page 263.
You do realize there are 24 hours in a "day," right?

As I see it, the "15-minute workday" has always resulted from the players' (and DM's) preferred style of play, rather than the system itself.

Ginnel

Explorer
Our group 2nd Level has just had two roadside encounters on the way to a lair, we've fought a few fights in said lair bringing us to 5 encounters in total, about 4 hours adventuring time.

The two defenders we have the paladin has 0 and the fighter has 4 about half the party have used their dailies, although dailies are nice and handy they aren't all powerful and encounters are almost as good and come back every fight.

The limiting factor is not Attacking spells it is now healing surges, characters can continue until these are gone, when these are at 0 for two or more characters you really want to rest as the fights given by appropriate xp for level are in my opinion balanced around being a challenge for a fully healed party with their encounter powers.

But as always it will be the players and their characters who decide on how long an adventuring day will last, the spells and healing surges are just influencing factors.

The Little Raven

First Post
You do realize there are 24 hours in a "day," right?

And you do realize that "Extended Rest, Encounter, Extended Rest" was what I was addressing, right, since the 15-minute workday is all about using up all your necessary resources within 15-minutes of getting up? And that with the limitation, you can't just do that anymore, since there is 12 hours between the end of the first rest, and the beginning of the second, which would make it 18 hours between encounters.

If players want to waste 18 hours of in-game time between each encounter because they're afraid of running at 80% effectiveness in a second encounter, then I'd recommend a game more suited to that playstyle... like Candyland or Solitaire. No threat of challenge or difficulty there.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads