• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Achievement War

Jack7

First Post
I've been out of the loop due to my wife's surgery and her recuperation. However, in my not plentiful free time I've been working on the Achievement War, detailed below. I thought it might be of interest to some of you, especially the Wargamers. You're welcoem to make any comments you wish, however I can't guarantee a personal response right way due to the medical situation.

However I'd like to ask a favor if anyone can help. I'd like to know if you guys know of any really good apps to handle Counter-Making, and/or the making of flexible grid or hexagonal maps for this game. I'd like something as professional looking as possible. I'll stop by again as soon as possible (maybe this weekend) and see if you guys have any suggestions. Also I'll try to catch up on prior posts then.

Til then hope everyone is well. Best go help the wife now and then hit the hay myself. See ya.

THE ACHIEVEMENT WAR - When I was young I used to play RPGs and Wargames. (Still do but far less frequently.) I became very good at it, and correspondingly it taught me a lot about problem solving in Real Life. About 6 months ago I started work on a Work Game, which is basically designed to take a work environment and transform it into a competitive game in order that the various owners, officers, and workers compete to achieve Work Goals. (With rewards being both monetary and advancement in rank, responsibility, and power - as well as ever advancing opportunities to control and profit from your own intellectual and other creative actions and properties.) I've made some really good advances on that Game, but it basically requires a company or agency or corporate structure to be implemented. I started out calling this the "Work Game" but now I am calling it, "Endeavour and Enterprise."

But recently I've begun to think, I should have a version of this type of activity and game for an individual's personal achievements. And the model I've chosen is similar to a wargame like Panzerblitz. One establishes a "Force" or Army Group or Military which represents himself. Then you break your force down into smaller groups, divided at the tactical or small group/encounter scale.

You create a map showing one's objectives (that is the targets you wish to destroy or the objectives you wish to reach), and the terrain you wish to traverse in order to reach your objective. Create terrain obstacles that represent problems, such as hills, hedges, etc. The obstacles are symbolic of problems like lack of resources, difficulties you face in real life, lack of capital, structural opposition, etc.

Enemy units (whatever they are) will represent dynamic opposite - such as competitors, refusals or rejections, political resistance, etc.

My units will represent personal talents, capabilities and capacities, work I have done, experience, risk capital, any or all of my assets. Achievements and capital and networks and businesses I own, as well as other resources will represent my supply/resupply lines and my logistical capabilities. Symbolically my Forces and Units will be represented by Tank Squads, Air Power, Siege Guns, Infantry Units, Engineers, etc.

Each of my personal Units will also represent a specific "Action Force," such as my Tanks representing my Business endeavors, and my Engineers representing my Inventions. Technically I could employ any kind of counter, including ship counters, with Islands and Shores and Ports representing my objectives, but for the moment I'm going to stick to Land Warfare with some Air Support.

For my overall force, my Army will have units representing my personal Business, Career, Investment, Inventive, Artistic, Scientific, and Religious endeavors. Each category will represent a different "Action Force" of my overall "Achievement Force" or "Achievement Army." Later on I may add in separate and specialized sub-units representing Special Forces, such as those representing my Musical Compassionating, Philanthropic and Charity Work, etc.

The game will play out this way. I pick a Real-World Target or Objective, say, to use an example, getting my First book of Fiction published. I create a map representing my Objective, insuring the terrain reflects all likely obstacles to be encountered on my push towards my objective. Then create and set in place the enemy units or Enemy Force I am likely to encounter.

Then create my own counters and create my own force appropriate to the attack and advance towards my Objective. Then play out the game as reflective of my real world efforts to achieve that objective.

Having my objectives set out in this way, in the form of a dynamic and moveable 3-D Image, as well as seeing an active representation of my real world problems, obstacles, and opposition in achieving this objective will make it much, much easier for my to observe problems, to track my progress, to see where my strengths lie, to reposition or regroup or redeploy as necessary, to avoid entrapments and stalemates, to outmaneuver or avoid difficult situations, all of the things that would be necessary to do if my problem were an actual combat situation. I am extremely good at doing this kind of thing, and since to me all of life achievement is combat, real or symbolic, this type of game will make it much, much easier for me to establish realistic goals and objectives and to meet them as necessary.

So every objective or "Action" will be turned into an "Operation" (with a Mission Objective), I'll map out the Operational Terrain, then I'll set the pieces as necessary and my Real World Actions will determine how the pieces are advanced (or regressed) upon the map/board. When I achieve my objective for that Operation, (or if necessary my mission becomes altered) then that action will be concluded and I can move on to the next. Although sometimes more than one Objective may be undertaken during a single Operation and some Operations will require considerably more item and resources than others. All operations will have Force Requirements, Oppositional Forces, Objectives, Time Schedules or a Time-Line for completion, and methods for tracking progress and achievement. This game will be designed to enhance my Personal Achievements rather than my Company or Corporate ones.

And I'm going to call it, "The Achievement War."

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Publish this as a self-empowerment, self-help system and you will make a fortune.

I want a 1% royalty...calculated on gross receipts, of course.

Last edited:

Jack7

First Post
Spring Offensive - planning my Spring Offensive.

My target is the Riverside Port and Industrial Complex of Nike Prospeera.

I am currently mustering my forces, preparing maps, orders, missions, lines of advance, etc. The offensive will begin at 0800 April 2nd, 2012, and will conclude 1900 hours on June the 29th, 2012, unless my objectives are met ahead of schedule.

My target will be divided into basically four concentration points of attack. The port area, the industrial area, which will be subdivided into two operating sectors, and the bridges across the River. Allied forces lay across the river but are unaware of my attack, and so I must reach the bridges and capture them before they can be destroyed, or be prepared to construct a temporary bridge of my own, if I want their help (and I do).

My Primary Objectives are:

1. Get EISP (one of my inventions) under full contract
2. Get The Secret Girl under full contract
3. Secure 6 New High End Clients for Open Door (2 per month)

If these three objectives are met then my 4th Objective, doubling the family income over the next year, will also be met. And I will also have a foothold in the fictional publishing industry, as well as new manufacturing and financing networks to support more of my inventions.

As I've already mentioned Allied Forces lie just over the River. These Allied Forces can assist me in reaching my objectives so my intent is to locate and reach them, and make use of their capabilities, as early as possible in the Campaign.

My Secondary Objectives involve these Allied Forces:

1. Secure active and aggressive Agent for my fictional Writings
2. Secure new active Networks for Business
3. Establish new contacts with local Venture Capital Companies
4. Secure Angels and Patrons for wife's new band/recording contract

My initial Main Action Forces will likely include:

1 Unit Tanks (Career Forces)
2 Units Mobile Infantry (Business Forces)
1 Unit Artillery (Inventions)
1 Unit Air Wing (Writings)

They will be supported by the following Special Action Forces

2 Units Special Forces (Marketing and Advertising)

I will retain 1 unit of each Force Type in Reserve.

I will assess progress once per month. And I will track my lines of progression to see how each sector advances, what is working in the Campaign, and what might need to be reorganized or regrouped.

Last edited:

Remove ads